HP Prime died
09-05-2018, 12:20 AM
HP Prime died
I bought my HP Prime in mid 2015 (model g8x92aa). It has worked well up until today (although I could crash it during some long CAS calculations). During a long Taylor series calculation it crashed (first the hour glass froze, then it reset, then it went totally black). I still has the original FW as when I bought it. I did connect it to a PC a few times to backup some programs, but never messed with the firmware (now that the HP Prime is dead, I cannot report what the FW version is).

I tried to reset it with a paper clip in the back, did not work. I tried to reset it using On Symb, did not work. I tried On Apps Esc, did not work. I tried On F C O, did not work. I tried these methods with and without the charger plugged in.

I removed the battery and it measured 4.11 v. I put the battery in the calculator and measured it while it was in circuit and it still measured 4.11 v. So I am sure that the battery is good and is getting charged OK.

I called HP to see about a warrantee, but I was told it is only 1 yr. in the US, but 5 yrs. in Norway (too bad I live in the US and not in Norway). I asked about a repair fee, but HP does not repair calculators anymore. I am very disappointed in HP today. BTW, I also own an HP41C, two HP50gs and these very much older calculators all work perfectly. The HP rep told me the only recourse for me is just to buy a new HP Prime. Does anyone have any ideas for me to try ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2018, 05:15 AM
RE: HP Prime died
Hello,

First, sorry about that.

Second, would you mind answering a couple of questions?

Assuming that the calculator is turned fully off (not connected to a computer, no battery in it). When you plug it in USB, what happends? does the screen turn ON? is there anything happening to the display or nothing? (assuming that you have verified that the USB cable works well using some other object)

If the HP logo comes up, even for a small time, then there is probably some chance to do something. Else, I am at a lost.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
09-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Cyrille,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion. I removed the battery from the calculator, then I plugged in a known good USB cable which was already connected to the PC. The screen flashes a low level white for a fraction of a second (about 1/4 second) then goes completely black.
09-06-2018, 05:36 AM
Hello,

If you do the same operation but have your finger on the Symb key (as in press and hold) while plugging in the USB cable, what do you get?

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
09-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Hello Cyrille,

Thanks for again for your reply. With the battery removed from the calculator, I hold down the Symb key and then I plugged in a USB cable which was already connected to the PC while keeping the Symb key held down. The screen flashes a low level white for a fraction of a second (about 1/4 second) then goes completely black. Does the same if I don't press the Symb key.
09-07-2018, 05:51 AM
Hello,

Then, I am at a lost, I Am sorry, but I have no idea what can be wrong and how to fix it (at least remotely)...
My best guess is some flash corruption (in the bootloader)... but I might be wrong.

Cyrille

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)