Statistics ON Hp prime
09-03-2018, 09:27 AM
Statistics ON Hp prime
Hi, im new to the hp prime and going into year 12 and was wondering how to enter grouped data into the statistics var1 application for example, if we are given tabulated data such as

0-<10
10<20
20-<30

with frequencies.

I.E

https://www2.southeastern.edu/Academics/...upData.htm
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2018, 02:14 PM
RE: Statistics ON Hp prime
(09-03-2018 09:27 AM)Jib Wrote:  Hi, im new to the hp prime and going into year 12 and was wondering how to enter grouped data into the statistics var1 application...

Chapter 12 in the Prime User Guide covers this pretty clearly; did you read that and find problems?

In the Virtual Prime application you can access the User Guide from the Help menu.

--Bob Prosperi
09-03-2018, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018 02:28 PM by Tim Wessman.)
You can also press HELP while in any place of the calculator to get help on that page/item. If you press help in the Stat1Var application while on the SYMB view for example, it says:

"Press Symb to enter the Symbolic view. You can define up to 5 1-variable analyses (H1-H5), choosing for each analysis a data column and an optional frequency column. For the data column, you can enter either the name of a column (D0-D9) or a mathematical expression involving the name of a column (e.g. D1-9.8). There is also a Plot field for each analysis where you choose the graphical representation most fitting for your purposes. The plot options include:
● Histograms
● Box-and-whisker plots, with and without outliers
● Normal probability plots
● Line plots
● Bar graphs
● Pareto charts
● Control charts
● Dot plots
● Stem and Leaf plots, with either single stems (10's) or split stems (5's)
● Pie charts

The menu buttons are:
• Edit: enables you to edit the selected value
• Choose: select the plot type or graph color
• ✓: toggles between making an analysis active or inactive
• Column: select the name of a column from Numeric view
• Show: displays the fit equation in full-screen mode with horizontal and vertical scrolling enabled
• Eval: evaluates the highlighted expression, resolving any references to other definitions

Each active data set (H1-H5) will be used for graphing purposes in Plot view and also for displaying summary statistics in Numeric view when Stats is tapped."

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-03-2018, 02:28 PM
(09-03-2018 09:27 AM)Jib Wrote:  Hi, im new to the hp prime and going into year 12 and was wondering how to enter grouped data into the statistics var1 application for example, if we are given tabulated data such as

0-<10
10<20
20-<30

with frequencies.

I.E

https://www2.southeastern.edu/Academics/...upData.htm

Hi Jib,
Im not sure but I think you have to put a single value that represents the class.
Hence you have to calculate the midpoint for each class, you can call the column as "mid".
Then you can put the data into the list editor of the Prime.
The second list you can call it "f" for frequency.
Finally you can see the results (standard deviation, mean and median).
Best,

Aries Wink
09-04-2018, 11:15 AM
(09-03-2018 02:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(09-03-2018 09:27 AM)Jib Wrote:  Hi, im new to the hp prime and going into year 12 and was wondering how to enter grouped data into the statistics var1 application...

Chapter 12 in the Prime User Guide covers this pretty clearly; did you read that and find problems?

In the Virtual Prime application you can access the User Guide from the Help menu.

I bought it second hand and no user guide came with it, could you guide me to an online version.

Thanks.
09-04-2018, 11:25 AM
(09-03-2018 02:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  

Found the user guide read those pages. Nothing about grouped data, any idea on how to find statistics of grouped data via the app

I.e 0-10
10-20
20-30.

Each woth seperate frequencies

Thanks
09-05-2018, 10:39 AM
(09-04-2018 11:25 AM)Jib Wrote:  
(09-03-2018 02:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Chapter 12 in the Prime User Guide covers this pretty clearly; did you read that and find problems?

Found the user guide read those pages. Nothing about grouped data, any idea on how to find statistics of grouped data via the app

I.e 0-10
10-20
20-30.

Each woth seperate frequencies

Thanks

Did you calculate the midpoint for each class interval ?
For grouped data you can only give estimates, not the exact mean, mode and median.
Use the midpoints to estimate the mean.
Best,

Aries Wink
09-10-2018, 03:30 PM
The ‘grouping’ process here is actually what we call ‘binning.’ It is a common way to convert continuous or quantitative data (e.g., age) into categorical or qualitative data (e.g., age groups). So the usual methods developed for quantitative statistics wouldn’t be helpful.

Which statistics were you looking for?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)