HP Prime Review, with HP 28S, 48GX and 50g
08-29-2018, 12:33 PM
HP Prime Review, with HP 28S, 48GX and 50g
My video about the HP Prime. I also show my 28S, 48GX and 50g as well. Be sure to reference the text Description under the video on YouTube to see the INDEX and useful links.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2018, 02:32 PM
RE: HP Prime Review, with HP 28S, 48GX and 50g
(08-29-2018 12:33 PM)JDW Wrote:  My video about the HP Prime. I also show my 28S, 48GX and 50g as well. Be sure to reference the text Description under the video on YouTube to see the INDEX and useful links.

Great video! I didn't realize it was quite so long when I started watching, but the time seemed to pass quickly. It must be your calming voice!

I also used a screen protector, although it was a Brotect AirGlass screen protector in my case, and you only get one in the packet.

— Ian Abbott
08-29-2018, 09:24 PM
Thank you for your kind words, ijabbott.

Having recently purchased those two Prime calculators for my kids’ educational needs, and in light of the fact there really aren’t very many good videos about the Prime on YouTube (many are in Portuguese, sadly) and none in 4K, I decided to make my own video. Hopefully it will help more students out there looking for a good calculator to realize there are good choices other than Texas Instruments.
08-30-2018, 02:16 AM
Great job!
Maybe you could explain more about the pinch zoom?
HP Prime is the first and only calculator with this capability
which revolutionized the smartphone and killed the king Nokia.
Hopefully HP Prime is similar replacing all the others in the educational market.
VPN

(08-29-2018 12:33 PM)JDW Wrote:  My video about the HP Prime. I also show my 28S, 48GX and 50g as well. Be sure to reference the text Description under the video on YouTube to see the INDEX and useful links.

08-30-2018, 02:36 AM
(08-30-2018 02:16 AM)CyberAngel Wrote:  Great job!
HP Prime is the first and only calculator with this capability...

Thank you for watching and for your suggestion.

In that video, I demonstrated pinch-to-zoom on a 2D graph (which sadly does NOT work for 3D) and I verbally mentioned that feature more than once to drive home that big selling point. What specifically do you wish was explained more about pinch to zoom?
08-30-2018, 02:44 AM
(08-30-2018 02:36 AM)JDW Wrote:  
(08-30-2018 02:16 AM)CyberAngel Wrote:  Great job!
HP Prime is the first and only calculator with this capability...

Thank you for watching and for your suggestion.

In that video, I demonstrated pinch-to-zoom on a 2D graph (which sadly does NOT work for 3D) and I verbally mentioned that feature more than once to drive home that big selling point. What specifically do you wish was explained more about pinch to zoom?

Anything in less than five minutes.
Obviously you are not in the marketing! :-)
The attention span of a typical teen is anything from 20_s to 120_s,
but hopefully a teacher is able focus on your excellent explicit explanations for 300_s
VPN
08-30-2018, 02:55 AM
I knew at least someone would mention the length of the video, which is why I commented on that and Millennials at the end, in my closing thoughts. :-) I'm a member of the HP Calculator Fan Club group on FaceBook, and one member there, who like me is not a Millennial, commented that the time flew by quickly and he hardly noticed it was almost 1 hour long.

Ultimately, a good student will sift through the info they don't need to find the gems. It's easy to scrub through YouTube videos (just drag the slider), so hopefully most of the younger folk will do that. I consider the video not fully comprehensive but nevertheless a substantial information resource for the inquiring mind.

But as far as HP marketing goes, there is more work to be done on their part than just 20 second videos. They don't even have the Prime listed at all in the Japanese HP store (I know this because I live in Japan). I ultimately bought the Primes online from Walmart and had then forwarded on to me through a family member. If HP wants better marketing, it needs to start by actually carrying all its products in all their international web stores!
08-31-2018, 11:32 AM
It is hard to believe calculator that have CAS is allowed for the SAT.

I took my SAT 30 years ago, and the calculators approved list is very short.
I was too cheap to buy any of the approved one, so I go to the exam with ... a pencil Smile
08-31-2018, 12:28 PM
(08-31-2018 11:32 AM)Albert Chan Wrote:  It is hard to believe calculator that have CAS is allowed for the SAT.

I took my SAT 30 years ago, and the calculators approved list is very short.
I was too cheap to buy any of the approved one, so I go to the exam with ... a pencil Smile

It is hard to believe that there were SAT test 30 years ago.
Does any of you oldies remember what - if any - HP calculators were available back then
(when the dinosaurs roamed the earth)
08-31-2018, 12:38 PM
Great video (superb quality!).

I too have a 28S, 48GX and several 50g units (7 I think). I would just like to point out that these are not RPN machines but RPL! The two are similar but for RPL's dynamic stack, postfix operation, lack of stack shift disabling and object abstraction.
08-31-2018, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2018 02:14 PM by Albert Chan.)
(08-31-2018 12:28 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  It is hard to believe that there were SAT test 30 years ago.
Does any of you oldies remember what - if any - HP calculators were available back then

Not only we had SAT, we have ... pencil too Smile

Unlike most member here, I do not own any RPN/RPL scientific calculator.
I prefer EOS based calculator, with ability to scroll back / edit.

No, I had not noticed HP calculators for sale.
Perhaps HP marketing were bad even back then ...
09-01-2018, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 10:16 AM by pier4r.)
(08-31-2018 12:28 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  It is hard to believe that there were SAT test 30 years ago.

For the Sat 30 years ago (1988), the world was quite organized back then. It is hard to believe but people started to have personal computers, languages, social structures, homes, vehicles and even books!!!!
The international mathematical Olympiad existed already since 1959, the world chess championship was finally under FIDE control since 1948. Impressive what they could achieve in pre history.

For the production timeline of the HP, the best I can remember is here http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10327.html

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-01-2018, 10:29 AM
(09-01-2018 10:15 AM)pier4r Wrote:  

For the Sat 30 years ago (1988), the world was quite organized back then. It is hard to believe but people started to have personal computers, languages, social structures, homes, vehicles and even books!!!!
The international mathematical Olympiad existed already since 1959, the world chess championship was finally under FIDE control since 1948. Impressive what they could achieve in pre history.

For the production timeline of the HP, the best I can remember is here http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10327.html

And there was a manned space program .. amazing what could be achieved in prehistory before mobile phones and social media became ubiquitous Wink
09-07-2018, 03:20 AM
I finally had time to watch your complete video and wanted to say well done JDW!

Of course, as you point out right at the end, you can't please all the people all the time, but I think it provides a good overview and will be useful to motivate and encourage folks to check one out in more detail.

While I did find myself saying RPL aloud when you called the 28/48/50 RPN, for the intended viewers of the video, "RPN" is close enough for these purposes; wouldn't want to confuse them.

Thanks for taking a LOT of time to make this and share it.

--Bob Prosperi
09-07-2018, 03:48 AM
(09-07-2018 03:20 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  I finally had time to watch your complete video and wanted to say well done JDW!

Of course, as you point out right at the end, you can't please all the people all the time, but I think it provides a good overview and will be useful to motivate and encourage folks to check one out in more detail.

While I did find myself saying RPL aloud when you called the 28/48/50 RPN, for the intended viewers of the video, "RPN" is close enough for these purposes; wouldn't want to confuse them.

Thanks for taking a LOT of time to make this and share it.

I think there is some confusion about RPN and RPL.

IMHO , all the 28, 48, 49 and 50 series are RPN. Because RPN is the way you enter operands and operators, postfix in this case. There's a difference in the way ENTER function in these calculators, but they are still RPN (postfix).

RPL is a PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE, that is available in the mentioned calculators.

The others HP calculators use keystroke programming.

Resuming, HP 28, 48, 49 and 50 series are RPN calculators with RPL programming language.

Just my 2 cents.

Live long and prosper

Cheers

JL
09-07-2018, 04:05 AM
Bob, your very kind words regarding my video mean a lot to me. Thank you! I too hope the video will serve to inspire others to give the Prime a hard look, despite the monopoly grip that TI has on the US educational market.

As to RPL and RPN, 50g and earlier were based on RPL with an RPN mode. Perhaps I should have said that, but knowing me if I did I would have wanted to add 5 minutes of detailed explanation to go along with it. For the sake of time, I just said "RPN."
09-07-2018, 05:01 AM
(09-07-2018 03:48 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(09-07-2018 03:20 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  While I did find myself saying RPL aloud when you called the 28/48/50 RPN, for the intended viewers of the video, "RPN" is close enough for these purposes; wouldn't want to confuse them.

I think there is some confusion about RPN and RPL.

IMHO ,

[Image: 42734d1396992818-possible-cheap-tuning-s...24fca4.jpg]

Smile

Seriously good vid though.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
09-07-2018, 05:27 AM
(09-07-2018 04:05 AM)JDW Wrote:  Bob, your very kind words regarding my video mean a lot to me. Thank you! I too hope the video will serve to inspire others to give the Prime a hard look, despite the monopoly grip that TI has on the US educational market.

As to RPL and RPN, 50g and earlier were based on RPL with an RPN mode. Perhaps I should have said that, but knowing me if I did I would have wanted to add 5 minutes of detailed explanation to go along with it. For the sake of time, I just said "RPN."

Was it "Reverse Polish Lisp" and "Reverse Polish Notation"?
I love the language. Forth and Lisp mixed.
Although forming user's own analytic functions forced one to use SysRPL.
09-07-2018, 02:57 PM
(09-07-2018 05:01 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(09-07-2018 03:48 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  I think there is some confusion about RPN and RPL.

IMHO ,

[Image: 42734d1396992818-possible-cheap-tuning-s...24fca4.jpg]

Smile

Seriously good vid though.

Sorry,

I wasn't aware of any debate about this before, so never mind.

Cheers
09-07-2018, 04:49 PM
good and comprehensible review.

thanks.

Guy R. KOMAN, hp 50G, hp Prime Rev. C

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)