HP Prime going the way obsoletion...
08-25-2018, 07:51 PM
HP Prime going the way obsoletion...
Hi everyone,

So I have ordered the HP Prime G2 and am anticipating it eagerly.

I was on another HP site and some buyer of the Revision C stated that,
the prime would be obsolete in 10 years.

What's your take on graphing calculators going obsolete?

Stefos
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2018, 12:25 AM
RE: HP Prime going the way obsoletion...
(08-25-2018 07:51 PM)stefos Wrote:  Hi everyone,

So I have ordered the HP Prime G2 and am anticipating it eagerly.

I was on another HP site and some buyer of the Revision C stated that,
the prime would be obsolete in 10 years.

What's your take on graphing calculators going obsolete?

Stefos

Physical calculators may be gone but emulators will live on in smart phone apps. Everyone carries a phone. Why carry two devices when one will do? On-site engineers, pilots and surveyors (to name a few professions) will always need a portable tool to do advanced calculations and laptops and tablets are too bulky in a lot of cases. Eventually, we may have processors implanted in us and graphics devices in our eyes to allow us to have output from calculations and augmented reality graphics without external hardware but I think ten years is a rather optimistic estimate to expect that. Of course it could be like flying cars. In the 1930s through the '60s, most science predictions had us all flying around in our own personal flying cars by now. We all know what happened to those predictions!

Tom L
Cui bono?
08-26-2018, 04:35 PM
(08-26-2018 12:25 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  ...
Of course it could be like flying cars. In the 1930s through the '60s, most science predictions had us all flying around in our own personal flying cars by now. We all know what happened to those predictions!
I'm still a bit angry that I don't have the flying car or personal jet pack that I was told was going to be available to the public "soon" in the late 1960's. Then again watching the antics of my fellow drivers in Los Angeles, perhaps this is the best outcome after all...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-30-2018, 07:19 AM
Check out the Tuesday (8/28) episode of the NPR podcast ‘the indicator from planet money. It tells the story of why graphing calculators are still around. The key is the main market - students - who are not allowed to use connected devices for standard tests. The show mentions that TI sells 8 million graphing calculators a year - they did not clarify whether that was US or worldwide sales.

See also a 2014 article in the Washington post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inno...90652dbd19
08-30-2018, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2018 09:12 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
What a pity that connectivity is discouraged

The HP Prime has had a somewhat convoluted connectivity history: First there was the NW Connectivity Not Working release, then a version with some kind of classroom wifi but not real wifi. Followed by some mention of improvements to the update process, that I'd have to reread hundreds of posts to remind myself of the latest state of play.

A new G2 version is becoming available, but what is lacking is a simple non-technical announcement as to whether or not it has wifi... I don't mean some proprietory classroom wifi, I mean can I upload or download programs like I know I can with the Android version*. By itself.

Failing that, is there supposed to be a way of doing so with the help of an Android phone (so as to be usable portable)? How is a user who wants a useful connected calculator meant to know?

*editing and running Android programs is another story...apparrently some can... You can see why an all-in-one solution could be more reliable.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-30-2018, 10:17 AM
(08-30-2018 08:59 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  A new G2 version is becoming available, but what is lacking is a simple non-technical announcement as to whether or not it has wifi... I don't mean some proprietory classroom wifi, I mean can I upload or download programs like I know I can with the Android version*. By itself.

I have to assume (with all the risks assuming entails) that since it's not being touted as a feature, it doesn't exist, at least as built-in feature. It's possible there are plans to release a new wi-fi dongle in the near future, though. The wireless, non wi-fi dongles are becoming scarce. The supply is not being replenished as stocks run out according to a couple large HP school dealers I know. It's possible HP is flushing the pipeline to make room for a real wi-fi dongle to replace the current proprietary one. One can only hope!

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-05-2018, 12:04 AM
I recently spoke to a teacher in the U.S. He told me that mobile phones are beginning to be banned beginning in France in September of 2018. Either the phones are to be left at home, or to be turned off during school hours. Norway is considering a similar ban. If there are no mobile phones allowed in the classroom, then the calculator will definitely have a future far into the 21st century!
~ Jim ~
09-06-2018, 05:21 AM
(09-05-2018 12:04 AM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  I recently spoke to a teacher in the U.S. He told me that mobile phones are beginning to be banned beginning in France in September of 2018. Either the phones are to be left at home, or to be turned off during school hours. Norway is considering a similar ban. If there are no mobile phones allowed in the classroom, then the calculator will definitely have a future far into the 21st century!
~ Jim ~

The same applies also to tablets and they are being banned not just in the classroom but even during breaks. There is basically no point in taking one to school.

I wish the same thing would be introduced here in the UK to get kids interacting with each other in the real world instead of staring blankly at a small screen all the time.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)