New G2 HP Prime
11-10-2018, 09:31 PM
RE: New G2 HP Prime
(11-10-2018 09:22 PM)jonese Wrote:  
(11-10-2018 09:16 PM)CyberAngel Wrote:  I think you're right.
Sorry, jonese.

No worries, we're good.
Except when the last battery runs out.
Just like my Granpa's HP-25 - retired...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Battery for HP Prime is the least problem to worry about. You can always solder two wires and connected some supper-duper high capacity rechargeable batteries. I would worry about all the bugs and inconsistencies in HP Prime. I've lost hope that 'they' will ever iron out those things in some future firmware update and make HP Prime what it deserves to be.
11-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Hello,
It seems to me that the prime project, which is bigger than just the phisical calculator, need a lot work to be maintened.
The different environment/applications are interrelated (yes we want it like this) and any change may have implications across these different environment.
I think that priority was given to develop the prime across different platforms (Android/iOS) and this impacted the same development team.

I really would like the team to focus on the development of new features (this would have a positive benefit across all the platforms) because I am devoted to the phisical device but maybe the new generation of users prefer to use the virtual devices and marketing gives more attention to this than to the solid device.

However I think that HP is moving forward and in this changing world and is not just waiting on the side of the river. This is very positive!
Our job here is to support the Prime platform and provide hints for improvement.

Good work!

Giancarlo
11-11-2018, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 04:34 PM by Han.)
(11-10-2018 08:03 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  
(11-09-2018 07:58 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Gee, nice attitude John.
You make it sound so easy to design, market and support a complex product like this. You should probably start a business making your own model of graphing CAS calculator just like you described. You will probably make a fortune displacing T1 in the marketplace and they you can tell everyone how smart you were.

Get real, the graphing calc market is dominated by TI because the textbook companies are in bed with them. There was no hope for HP in education at all. They could have made an engineer’s RPN / RPL machine and sold these things for $300 a pop like SwissMicros and maintained a reputation for quality. Instead we have color screens and unobtanium lithium proprietary batteries and test modes and etc.

The DM42 should have been made by HP 10 years ago. The profit per unit is much higher than the Prime. Chasing after a market like education when every single textbook gives instructions for only TI is silly. Carly’s gone but the directionless wandering and aim toward LCD products instead of quality remains. I know a few former Corvallis HP alums and they aren’t happy.

In the future HP’s calculator division will be praised for keeping the 12c and castigated for all the other crap they’ve been up to.

There is an education market outside of the United States. I suspect that they have made some headway there since the US market is completely dominated by TI (based only on my own personal observations). Otherwise, you would be right since there would be no point jumping into a market that does not give them any profit margins.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
11-11-2018, 06:46 PM
(11-11-2018 06:25 PM)Han Wrote:  There is an education market outside of the United States. I suspect that they have made some headway there since the US market is completely dominated by TI (based only on my own personal observations). Otherwise, you would be right since there would be no point to jump into a market that they does not give them any profit margins.

I get the impression that Casio is popular here in the UK. It certainly was when I was growing up, and judging by my daughter's secondary school, it is still.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
11-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Finland's matriculation exam is Casio & TI CAS duopoly.
French people may tell us about the HP Prime,
but it may be that dominating CAS is KhiCAS on any platform from calculatrice to full PC
11-11-2018, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2018 09:34 PM by ijabbott.)
(11-11-2018 06:46 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  
(11-11-2018 06:25 PM)Han Wrote:  There is an education market outside of the United States. I suspect that they have made some headway there since the US market is completely dominated by TI (based only on my own personal observations). Otherwise, you would be right since there would be no point to jump into a market that they does not give them any profit margins.

I get the impression that Casio is popular here in the UK. It certainly was when I was growing up, and judging by my daughter's secondary school, it is still.

Yes, Casio pretty much dominates the UK education market. HP don't even attempt to compete here, it seems. At least TI have the same problem here! Graphing calculators are pretty uncommon in UK schools too, unlike the US.

— Ian Abbott
11-11-2018, 10:09 PM
(11-11-2018 06:46 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  I get the impression that Casio is popular here in the UK. It certainly was when I was growing up, and judging by my daughter's secondary school, it is still.

Casio is popular here. In fact the list of authorised calculators in most exams over here is a very short list of two Casio machines. Everything else is banned.

I hold this from a physics teacher who would love nothing better than to see RPN accepted more widely in this country!
11-13-2018, 04:11 PM
(11-11-2018 10:09 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(11-11-2018 06:46 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  I get the impression that Casio is popular here in the UK. It certainly was when I was growing up, and judging by my daughter's secondary school, it is still.

Casio is popular here. In fact the list of authorised calculators in most exams over here is a very short list of two Casio machines. Everything else is banned.

I hold this from a physics teacher who would love nothing better than to see RPN accepted more widely in this country!
This isn't correct. The regulations for external examinations for all examination boards are given here (link to download pdf file here) on page 16, and don't mention any specific calculator brand or model. There are reasonable restrictions (no CAS, no communication, no retrievable formulae) but nothing that would exclude the use of a HP-35, if that's what your friend would prefer!

Casio is popular here because the calculators are fine, and they are heavily marketed. No-one else seems to try :-( RPN isn't so popular here because none of us could afford HP machines when we were growing up!

Nigel (UK)
11-13-2018, 04:18 PM
(11-13-2018 04:11 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  This isn't correct. The regulations for external examinations for all examination boards are given here (link to download pdf file here) on page 16, and don't mention any specific calculator brand or model.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I'll feed this back.

(11-13-2018 04:11 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  Casio is popular here because the calculators are fine, and they are heavily marketed. No-one else seems to try :-(

True. Go into any supermarket and look at the scientific calculators hanging in blister packs. They are all either Casio machines or supermarket own brand, which are usually Casios anyway with the supermarket's logo slapped on them.

(11-13-2018 04:11 PM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  RPN isn't so popular here because none of us could afford HP machines when we were growing up!

Not just here. I did my secondary and further education in France, where TI was king. HP was too expensive at the time. I always ended up using the HP-15C of a friend whose family was not short of a penny Smile
11-13-2018, 08:45 PM
I'd not be surprised if the school exam invigilators (etc) impose their own rules, at least for any calculators not on an official list, to make it easier for them to manage in practice.

I have fond memories of my Casio calcs in school, and since. It's only recently that I've discovered the joys of RPN, and of HP.

It's interesting that the Casio approach was (then, before VPAM, natural, textbook et al display methods) a mixture of infix and postfix operators, e.g π ÷ 2 = sin which seemed perfectly natural at the time, but seems oddly inconsistent now.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
12-05-2018, 07:23 AM
(10-13-2018 10:29 PM)akmon Wrote:  Hello, I´ve just purchased th G2 prime on this web if you want to try it: https://www.solocalculadoras.com/inicio/8-hp-prime.html

I´m going to test the benchmarks you attached on this site to compare with my G8X92AA

AS I had a Samsung battery, I´m going to swap it, although there is only a little diference (2100 mAh Samsung vs 2000 mAh Hp.

I did a diagnostic on both units, and there are a few changes ont the menu choices, in the attached pictures (note that the batteries were not swapped yet).

Hello, could you show me the suitable Samsung battery model for Prime G2?
12-05-2018, 11:36 AM
(12-05-2018 07:23 AM)Alex Wrote:  
(10-13-2018 10:29 PM)akmon Wrote:  Hello, I´ve just purchased th G2 prime on this web if you want to try it: https://www.solocalculadoras.com/inicio/8-hp-prime.html

I´m going to test the benchmarks you attached on this site to compare with my G8X92AA

AS I had a Samsung battery, I´m going to swap it, although there is only a little diference (2100 mAh Samsung vs 2000 mAh Hp.

I did a diagnostic on both units, and there are a few changes ont the menu choices, in the attached pictures (note that the batteries were not swapped yet).

Hello, could you show me the suitable Samsung battery model for Prime G2?
Samsung Galaxy S3 "original" from AliExpress, Amazon, eBay, GearBest, ...
Note: some big batteries require a new back plate.
Those work with the phone, not with HP Prime.
12-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Prime G2 is on HP website. http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/calcul...!tab=specs
12-05-2018, 01:26 PM
(12-05-2018 01:11 PM)Voldemar Wrote:  Prime G2 is on HP website. http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/calcul...!tab=specs

True, but it isn't actually available.

There is no option to buy from the HP website and none of the indicated partners sell it.
12-05-2018, 11:08 PM
(12-05-2018 01:11 PM)Voldemar Wrote:  Prime G2 is on HP website. http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/calcul...!tab=specs

I see they haven't updated the description. It still lists a 400 MHz ARM 9 processor in the specifications.

— Ian Abbott
12-29-2018, 05:38 PM
How come it is not mentioned in HP Calculator website in US ?

And what is the differences between G2 HP Prime and the previous HP Prime ?
12-29-2018, 06:13 PM
(12-29-2018 05:38 PM)wyattwong Wrote:  How come it is not mentioned in HP Calculator website in US ?

I guess you haven't taken the time to read this thread...

smp
12-29-2018, 10:41 PM
(12-29-2018 05:38 PM)wyattwong Wrote:  How come it is not mentioned in HP Calculator website in US ?

The answer is a question to you, which has a pretty obvious answer...

How come HP lost the US educational market to TI?

(Okay, you still probably don't know so I shall give you a big hint: because they dropped the ball BIG TIME by not trying to sell their own calculators.)
12-29-2018, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2018 11:08 PM by Steve Simpkin.)

In a nutshell, more RAM (256 MB instead of 32 MB), more Flash (512 MB instead of 256 MB), updated faster processor (528MHz Cortex A7 instead of 400MHz ARM9). It also has a new hardware-layer kernel (FreeRTOS). The performance increase is quite a bit more than the clock increase would suggest.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Prime
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)