New G2 HP Prime
10-29-2018, 04:25 PM
RE: New G2 HP Prime
(10-29-2018 03:48 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  If pressing On turns on your G2 immediately, then it was NOT in coma mode. Contrary to what has been said by everybody else, pressing Shift+On is NOT sufficient to start coma mode. You have to press Shift+On and KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN briefly (about half a second). The smaller-than-normal "hp" logo blinks very briefly when coma mode is ready to begin, but it's such a brief blink that you'll only see it if you watch for it very carefully. If you release Shift+On too soon (before that blink) then a normal power-down occurs (not coma mode), and pressing On turns on the G2 immediately.

[disclaimer: running Beta firmware]

I have noticed that sometimes I do not see the brief flash, even though I'm looking for it, and yet the Prime does go into coma mode, as seen by the delay in turning on again, and getting the Beta firmware warning which I don't get after a regular sleep.

That lack-of-flash occurs quite often: I just tried coma mode three times, and got no flash for one of them, but all three took a few seconds to come back on and gave the beta warning.

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2018, 07:30 PM
(10-29-2018 04:25 PM)cdmackay Wrote:  
(10-29-2018 03:48 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  If pressing On turns on your G2 immediately, then it was NOT in coma mode. Contrary to what has been said by everybody else, pressing Shift+On is NOT sufficient to start coma mode. You have to press Shift+On and KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN briefly (about half a second). The smaller-than-normal "hp" logo blinks very briefly when coma mode is ready to begin, but it's such a brief blink that you'll only see it if you watch for it very carefully. If you release Shift+On too soon (before that blink) then a normal power-down occurs (not coma mode), and pressing On turns on the G2 immediately.

[disclaimer: running Beta firmware]

I have noticed that sometimes I do not see the brief flash, even though I'm looking for it, and yet the Prime does go into coma mode, as seen by the delay in turning on again, and getting the Beta firmware warning which I don't get after a regular sleep.

That lack-of-flash occurs quite often: I just tried coma mode three times, and got no flash for one of them, but all three took a few seconds to come back on and gave the beta warning.

Don't blink!! ;-)
10-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Hello,

Getting my new G2 HP Prime from derekenwinkel.nl (Klaas Kuperus). Hope to have it this week.
I do have the rev C prime and like it however I do not think it will replace my 50g completely. I'm an mechanical engineer by day and use the units feature on the 50g alot. I'm also taking an astronomy class at night/online and I thing the G2 will find its place there.

28s
48sx
48gx
50g
(30 years+ hp)
11-01-2018, 11:05 AM
(10-21-2018 11:36 AM)Voldemar Wrote:  Looks like there is another place where can buy HP Prime G2.
https://www.dynatech.de/hp-prime-cas-grafikrechner.html
Many thanks for your hint.
Price & speed are very good!
11-01-2018, 04:21 PM
It's been a week and I still haven't received my HP Prime from De Rekenwinkel B.V.. Just got a tracking number from them and found that it isn't in the states yet. Also I see that they made a serous mistake translating my address so I don't know when I'll receive the G2 now.

acp1

28s
48sx
48gx
50g
(30 years+ hp)
11-01-2018, 09:32 PM
No offense to those of you who live in Europe, but is HP a European company now? I simply cannot fathom how an American company would allow their latest flag ship calculator model to be released only in Europe. It makes no sense at all to me. Then again, HP continues to refuse to sell the Prime on their website here in Japan. That too makes no sense at all to me. It would make a heck of a lot more sense in terms of marketing to release your product and stores worldwide and let customers worldwide decide if they want to buy it. For goodness sake!
11-01-2018, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2018 10:53 PM by Voldemar.)
(11-01-2018 09:32 PM)JDW Wrote:  you who live in Europe
Europe is like beta testers. Big Grin
11-01-2018, 11:39 PM
It can also be found in Denmark and Sweden here: https://www.studyshop.dk/hewlett-packard...ommeregner https://www.studyshop.se/hewlett-packard...onsraknare

Havent actually tried it out yet.
11-02-2018, 12:15 AM
Does Apple beta test in Europe? No. Do other tech makers? Not to my knowledge. Besides, the G2 has been out for a while, so I would assume that any such "beta testing" should be done by now, yet the G2 remains mysteriously absent from markets outside Europe.

Does HP really want to sell the Prime? Does HP want the line to continue?

If the answer to either question is YES, it makes no sense to avoid pushing the G2 into other markets, especially Japan where the Prime has zero presence. ZERO.

It makes absolutely no sense at all.

The same goes for other HP products unrelated to calculators. Consider the SPROCKET printer and cameras. Quite popular among younger people these days, especially young ladies (my daughter being one). Checking Amazon Japan shows the 1st gen Sprocket printer but no camera/printer, and the 2nd gen Sprocket is sold at 3 times the SRP due to sharks importing them from the US and selling them on Amazon Japan, only because HP Japan has zero interest in selling such a popular item to younger people in Japan!

It makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL.

I love HP calculators, but I'm glad I don't own HP stock. Executive decisions being made at HP (or rather, NOT being made) are one of life's great mysteries.
11-02-2018, 01:49 AM
(11-01-2018 09:50 PM)Voldemar Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 09:32 PM)JDW Wrote:  you who live in Europe
Europe is like beta testers. Big Grin

(11-02-2018 12:15 AM)JDW Wrote:  Does Apple beta test in Europe? No. Do other tech makers? Not to my knowledge.

A smiley generally indicates the preceding statement was a joke, as in

A priest, a rabbi, and a minister walk into a bar... Big Grin

As valid as the rest of the comments are, I doubt (sadly) any HP execs are paying attention.

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
11-06-2018, 08:50 AM
(10-29-2018 07:23 AM)akmon Wrote:  

However, once G2 really is in coma mode, pressing On takes a couple seconds to turn on your calculator. Several presses are not needed; just press On once and then wait. After a few seconds, the screen turns on. That's proof that Prime was in coma mode.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure the above is right, but if it's not, please correct me.

Yes, I´ve detected the little flickering when you push Shift+ON. Then when I turn it on it takes a couple of seconds.
But when I turned my unit on after 4 days without using it, it took much more time to come to life. If the rest of keypresses are useless, it took more than 5 seconds since the first keystroke. So for that reason, instinctively, I pushed twice or three times the ON button. Try yours (if you dare not to use your unit in 3 days ;-)). Is it something related to my 2200 mhA Samsung battery?

I have a TI Nspire CX CAS before, and feel very very upset about the cold start time which over 1 minute, it is terrible.
So I wonder to know the startup time with 5 seconds for G2 after 3 days off is normal or not? Or actually it will take 1~2 second to startup from coma mode?
I am very satisfied with the battery life of my prime G1 now.
11-07-2018, 06:14 AM
Hello,

Prime G2 start time from "cold" storage will depend on the amount of stuff stored in RAM.

Boot time will be around 1.2 for the bootloader to load the application from Flash to RAM (around 11MB).

The OS itself boot extremely fast (less than 100ms).

However, the file system is the slow student there. The problem is that it needs to scan a non negligible part of the flash to find its data structures. If the OFF went wrong and it has not saved a summary, it might need to scan the full flash, which might take 20s!

As a general rule though, ~5s is pretty average...

Cyrile

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
11-07-2018, 07:34 AM
That´s the information I wanted to read. At least I know the 5 seconds are the average from ON keystroke after several days without using it.
Knowing that I don´t bother too much waiting for 5 seconds after 3 days.
11-07-2018, 08:38 AM
(11-07-2018 06:14 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  However, the file system is the slow student there. The problem is that it needs to scan a non negligible part of the flash to find its data structures. If the OFF went wrong and it has not saved a summary, it might need to scan the full flash, which might take 20s!

Is it using an older-style flash file system such as JFFS2? I know that one can take a while to scan the file system. Newer ones are better.

— Ian Abbott
11-07-2018, 01:38 PM
(11-07-2018 06:14 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

Prime G2 start time from "cold" storage will depend on the amount of stuff stored in RAM.

Boot time will be around 1.2 for the bootloader to load the application from Flash to RAM (around 11MB).

The OS itself boot extremely fast (less than 100ms).

However, the file system is the slow student there. The problem is that it needs to scan a non negligible part of the flash to find its data structures. If the OFF went wrong and it has not saved a summary, it might need to scan the full flash, which might take 20s!

As a general rule though, ~5s is pretty average...

Cyrile

Hi Cyrile, thank you very much. 5 seconds is acceptable for me although it is slower than prime G1, and we can get 3 times faster calculation.

And another question for me it's the battery life for G2. How long can G2 be operated since a full charge?

btw, G2 is too hard to buy. It seems that I can only purchase the prime G2 from UK.
11-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Hello,

It is using YAFFS, the latest version available as of 1 year ago when the project was started.

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
11-08-2018, 07:45 AM
(11-08-2018 06:20 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  It is using YAFFS...

Yet Another F******* File System? Smile
11-08-2018, 08:17 AM
(11-08-2018 06:20 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

It is using YAFFS, the latest version available as of 1 year ago when the project was started.

Cyrille

It also seems to be one of the few flash file systems that is supported on anything other than Linux!

— Ian Abbott
11-09-2018, 06:36 AM
YAFFS: Yet Another Flash File System.

It is a sequential write file system when you just keep writing until the flash is full with number tags on meta data which allows you to know what is the latest version of every/anything.

In theory, you would need to read the whole flash at boot, however, they write summary at the end of each block of flash, plus some other meta data now and then to allow to easely do a restart without having to re-read the whole flash, but only 1/64th or even less...

Cyrille

11-09-2018, 07:25 AM
I would like to ask you if you have detected different battery status icon changes in a shot period of time.
I explain: after turning the unit on the icon showed yellow bar. Strange, I thought, that it consumed so much power. But later it turned to green 75%.
After some minutes using the calc the status turned into 50%, but after a few minutes of "rest" of activities, when I pushed the icon it went to 75% again.
Have you noticed somthing similar?

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)