New G2 HP Prime
10-14-2018, 09:26 PM
RE: New G2 HP Prime
Meaning what? When you normally power off, your battery will still be drained pretty fast, but when you enable Deep Mode, when you power off, your battery will last more than a year?

What does it mean exactly?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2018, 10:20 PM
I think it will behave similar to HP48 sleep mode had. If you pressed [ON]+[SPC] the calculator went to "coma" mode for if you won´t take the calculator for a long period of time. In coma mode the consumption is ridicolous.
10-15-2018, 12:27 AM
Wow. I never knew about ON & SPACE resulting in a low power mode on the HP48! But before I try it on my 48GX, how do I get out of that mode? If getting out of that mode amounts to merely pressing ON, then the natural question then becomes, why doesn't the HP48 default to that mode?

Thanks.
10-15-2018, 12:38 AM
(10-15-2018 12:27 AM)JDW Wrote:  Wow. I never knew about ON & SPACE resulting in a low power mode on the HP48! But before I try it on my 48GX, how do I get out of that mode? If getting out of that mode amounts to merely pressing ON, then the natural question then becomes, why doesn't the HP48 default to that mode?

Pressing [ON] when in Deep Sleep will turn the unit on, but startup from Deep Sleep takes longer (several seconds vs. the 'instant ON' you typically see when pressing ON; what we typically call OFF is really Light Sleep). This is also the reason Deep Sleep is not the default.

--Bob Prosperi
10-15-2018, 12:39 AM
Holding down SHIFT and ON together is the key shortcut.

It is the difference between losing all RAM content, and not losing it thus requiring a full boot from disk.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-15-2018, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2018 01:14 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
From https://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/faq/48faq-4.html#ss4.6
(Dave Arnet)

ON+SPC
Initiates Coma Mode and clears Warm Start Log. In Coma mode, all the clocked activity is halted. The battery power drain is basically the few nano-amps [nA] necessary to sustain your RAM contents. The Warm Start Log is a nearly bullet-proof area of memory which keeps track of the last four hazardous events. View it using the command WSLOG. This log is one of the few things not cleared by a Coldstart. But it is cleared by ON+SPC. Enter Coma this way if you want to clear the Warm Start Log, if you are planning to study crystal healing in Tibet for a few years and want to keep your pirated version of Tetris alive, or you just have a low power fetish. Exit Coma mode with the ON key (tough to remember, huh?), and plan to find your stack cleared out.

Two additional notes on this Coma stuff. First, I'm not gonna try to list the log codes in WSLOG. Sorry! Second, if your machine is on, and you drop the batteries out, you will usually end up in a coma mode to preserve power. WSLOG will not be cleared. Instead, you will find a code 1 entry there. Some people are paranoid and want to be in Coma when they change batteries, just in case they have a sudden emergency call from the Prime Minister and don't get back to their battery change for a half hour. If you are one of these... shall I say, weenies? No, that would be unprofessional ...users, then I recommend you use the ON+SPC entry route, rather than the kamikaze method of dropping batteries with the machine running. Myself, I just turn the machine OFF, like the manual says.

Now, a Coma story... sort of. During the G/GX development, I maintained a small number of units on which I changed ROM chips as incremental code releases came out. This was so folks like Bill Wickes and Jim Donnelly could have fully-real hardware to test, instead of just the EPROM handsets some of you may have seen. We always backed up anything of importance in the machine before we did this. But I got into the habit of using ON+SPC before I opened up the calculator. Better than half of the time, I could remove the batteries, open the case, desolder the old surface-mounted ROM chip, solder down a new chip, and reassemble the machine... with all of RAM intact! When I pressed ON, I'd come right back up without a "Try to Recover Memory?" prompt. Pretty good, huh? The folks who put that mode into the machine certainly weren't in a coma.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2018, 05:46 AM
Hello,

The power profile on G2 is very different from the one on G1...

Namely, it uses more power in most modes, however, since it computes faster, it should stay less time in "run" mode and therefore use less energy.

ie: it uses 1.5 times the power in run mode, but is 2.5 times faster, so the energy used for a calculation is less)

One issue with G2 is that it's memory takes a whole lot more power when the calc is in "Off" mode (this is due to the ram technology used (and it's size), the ram technology being mandated by the CPU).

This is where the "deep sleep" comes in. It is a mode where the ram is powered off and the CPU fully shut down (clock excepted). In this mode, the system power use is much, much lower than on G1... But the RAM is lost (user data will be saved in flash prior to entering this mode, so there is little impact for the user BTW).

However, when powering the calc back ON, it will have to reboot (which is slower than a normal turn on of course).

Normally, the calc will enter this mode after 3 days of OFF mode, assuming a long time of OFF, to preserve power.

Long story short, but a good OFF scheme is hard to think of!

One trick however is the SHIFT+ON key combination (press and hold shift, then press ON, then release). This will enter deep off immediately.
So, if you are done with your calc for the day, enter this mode and your batteries will last a whole lot longer!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
10-15-2018, 06:50 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Good idea to turn into coma mode after 3 days.
10-15-2018, 06:56 AM
Actually that's something that I noticed the TI-NSpire CX does as well. Good for saving battery power but a pain when you come to switch it on again and it has to go through the entire boot sequence, which is sloooooooow on that machine. The Prime G2 is much faster.
10-15-2018, 07:23 AM
(10-15-2018 06:56 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Actually that's something that I noticed the TI-NSpire CX does as well. Good for saving battery power but a pain when you come to switch it on again and it has to go through the entire boot sequence, which is sloooooooow on that machine. The Prime G2 is much faster.

The one I can't understand is the "change language" time. It takes a minute or more on that to change to a different language...

TW

10-15-2018, 07:33 AM
(10-15-2018 07:23 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  The one I can't understand is the "change language" time. It takes a minute or more on that to change to a different language...

Hmm... I've not tried that. Then again I'm really not a fan of the NSpire CX and only really have one for the sake of "completeness" (it's far from complete in actual fact) of the collection of TI graphing machines.
10-15-2018, 07:57 AM
(10-15-2018 07:33 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(10-15-2018 07:23 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  The one I can't understand is the "change language" time. It takes a minute or more on that to change to a different language...

Hmm... I've not tried that. Then again I'm really not a fan of the NSpire CX and only really have one for the sake of "completeness" (it's far from complete in actual fact) of the collection of TI graphing machines.

I'll get my TI-Nspire CX CAS (and soft case) this week
just before one week holiday (fridays are for homework).
Thus I'll have time to read for 6 exams do 3 essays and
learn 4 tools in 8 working days.
The Finnish matriculation exam environment, Abitti,
boots from a Linux-USB stick with TI CX emu, etc.
I had to buy the TI CX CAS (or Casio).
A comparison may follow later - much later.

My system has no Coma = Deep Sleep,
but Light Sleep happens every night. ;--)
Sometimes I nap during the day.
Is that dimming the screen? Maybe not.
10-15-2018, 08:47 PM
(10-15-2018 07:57 AM)CyberAngel Wrote:  The Finnish matriculation exam environment, Abitti,
boots from a Linux-USB stick with TI CX emu, etc.

I didn't know the TI CX student software could run on Linux. Is it a native Linux application, or a Windows application running under Wine?

— Ian Abbott
10-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Minimal Linux environment.
but
I haven't checked it myself.
I just read the docs.
Also I haven't check how .it works
because one needs a teacher's server
the whole works.
10-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Looks like there is another place where can buy HP Prime G2.
https://www.dynatech.de/hp-prime-cas-grafikrechner.html
10-28-2018, 10:52 PM
(10-15-2018 05:46 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

The power profile on G2 is very different from the one on G1...

Namely, it uses more power in most modes, however, since it computes faster, it should stay less time in "run" mode and therefore use less energy.

ie: it uses 1.5 times the power in run mode, but is 2.5 times faster, so the energy used for a calculation is less)

One issue with G2 is that it's memory takes a whole lot more power when the calc is in "Off" mode (this is due to the ram technology used (and it's size), the ram technology being mandated by the CPU).

This is where the "deep sleep" comes in. It is a mode where the ram is powered off and the CPU fully shut down (clock excepted). In this mode, the system power use is much, much lower than on G1... But the RAM is lost (user data will be saved in flash prior to entering this mode, so there is little impact for the user BTW).

However, when powering the calc back ON, it will have to reboot (which is slower than a normal turn on of course).

Normally, the calc will enter this mode after 3 days of OFF mode, assuming a long time of OFF, to preserve power.

Long story short, but a good OFF scheme is hard to think of!

One trick however is the SHIFT+ON key combination (press and hold shift, then press ON, then release). This will enter deep off immediately.
So, if you are done with your calc for the day, enter this mode and your batteries will last a whole lot longer!

Cyrille

I've a question about coma mode. I've been a few days without using the Calc. After pressing On. It did not start. Then I pushed several times and now It restart.
When I force a coma mode with shift+on I only need a keypress to start from coma mode.
Is that behaviour normal?
10-28-2018, 11:23 PM
(10-28-2018 10:52 PM)akmon Wrote:  Is that behaviour normal?
I do not know. My Prime G2 has not been turned off for three days. I can try this. Now just turn it off. After three days I will see what happens when it is turned on.
10-29-2018, 03:12 AM
It can take a bit longer to recognize the key was pressed.

TW

10-29-2018, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2018 03:49 AM by Joe Horn.)
(10-28-2018 10:52 PM)akmon Wrote:  I've a question about coma mode. I've been a few days without using the Calc. After pressing On. It did not start. Then I pushed several times and now It restart.
When I force a coma mode with shift+on I only need a keypress to start from coma mode.

If pressing On turns on your G2 immediately, then it was NOT in coma mode. Contrary to what has been said by everybody else, pressing Shift+On is NOT sufficient to start coma mode. You have to press Shift+On and KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN briefly (about half a second). The smaller-than-normal "hp" logo blinks very briefly when coma mode is ready to begin, but it's such a brief blink that you'll only see it if you watch for it very carefully. If you release Shift+On too soon (before that blink) then a normal power-down occurs (not coma mode), and pressing On turns on the G2 immediately.

However, once G2 really is in coma mode, pressing On takes a couple seconds to turn on your calculator. Several presses are not needed; just press On once and then wait. After a few seconds, the screen turns on. That's proof that Prime was in coma mode.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure the above is right, but if it's not, please correct me.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-29-2018, 07:23 AM
(10-29-2018 03:48 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 10:52 PM)akmon Wrote:  I've a question about coma mode. I've been a few days without using the Calc. After pressing On. It did not start. Then I pushed several times and now It restart.

If pressing On turns on your G2 immediately, then it was NOT in coma mode. Contrary to what has been said by everybody else, pressing Shift+On is NOT sufficient to start coma mode. You have to press Shift+On and KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN briefly (about half a second). The smaller-than-normal "hp" logo blinks very briefly when coma mode is ready to begin, but it's such a brief blink that you'll only see it if you watch for it very carefully. If you release Shift+On too soon (before that blink) then a normal power-down occurs (not coma mode), and pressing On turns on the G2 immediately.

However, once G2 really is in coma mode, pressing On takes a couple seconds to turn on your calculator. Several presses are not needed; just press On once and then wait. After a few seconds, the screen turns on. That's proof that Prime was in coma mode.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure the above is right, but if it's not, please correct me.

Yes, I´ve detected the little flickering when you push Shift+ON. Then when I turn it on it takes a couple of seconds.
But when I turned my unit on after 4 days without using it, it took much more time to come to life. If the rest of keypresses are useless, it took more than 5 seconds since the first keystroke. So for that reason, instinctively, I pushed twice or three times the ON button. Try yours (if you dare not to use your unit in 3 days ;-)). Is it something related to my 2200 mhA Samsung battery?

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)