New G2 HP Prime
09-13-2018, 02:15 AM
RE: New G2 HP Prime
There aren't two different code bases. There is 1 code base shared in all the 16+ different versions that pop out each morning with very minor parts that wrap the core onto those platforms. Once you have things running well on the various platforms, the changes that people most care about all reside in that shared code. That is why when a math or calculation or ui change happens in the "calculator" part, all versions get it.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2018, 02:19 AM
I see. Thank you for the clarification, Tim.

The only way to get a lightening fast boot is by purchasing the G2 Prime. Understood.
09-15-2018, 12:19 PM
(08-29-2018 06:53 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  I was very surprised to see the speed difference between the G1 and G2.
CPU frequency of G2 is faster (about 30% from memory). And it has more cache and a better micro architecture... But nothing that warant a *2 or more extra speed (no super scalar for example).

The improvement is actually about 3x. I knocked an app together to compare my Rev. C, the G2 and the Virtual Prime:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11402.html
09-15-2018, 01:15 PM
A lovely benchmarking app, thanks! Now I feel even more G2 envy.

But perhaps someone out there will "spend 6-8 months moving the old" G1 hardware to the G2 OS and we can then all Prime users can enjoy 500ms boot times! Yeah!

It's not beyond the realm of reality. Consider the existence of newRPL. Some people feel so-called "old hardware" is worth the investment. Who am I to stop them? Indeed, I am here to inspire them!
09-15-2018, 01:28 PM
(09-15-2018 12:19 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(08-29-2018 06:53 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  I was very surprised to see the speed difference between the G1 and G2.
CPU frequency of G2 is faster (about 30% from memory). And it has more cache and a better micro architecture... But nothing that warant a *2 or more extra speed (no super scalar for example).

The improvement is actually about 3x. I knocked an app together to compare my Rev. C, the G2 and the Virtual Prime:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-11402.html

Nicely done! Thank you for creating this app!
09-15-2018, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 01:31 PM by grsbanks.)
When I made that comment about the G2 booting up in less than a second, it was not meant to be interpreted as "look how slow the Rev. C is compared to the G2, surely something can be done about that!", it was meant as "look how fast the G2 is compared to the Rev. C."

Leaving the O/S to one side for now, the fact is that the CPU in the G2 is faster and better optimised than the one in the G1 and the G2 uses faster RAM, so even with no improvements in the O/S, it's still going to be faster thanks to the more up-to-date hardware. Because of this, I'm really not convinced that backporting the G2's O/S to the G1 will give that significant a speed-up. Then there's the question of whether or not it's even possible given the tighter constraints of the G1's CPU (less RAM, less flash space etc.)
09-22-2018, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know how much is the total price of the HP Prime G2 by buying it on the derenkewinkel page of holland already with the destination United States of America with tax and all-inclusive? In other words, the calculator plus the tax plus the transport how much goes to the United States? And is the G2 really this model that is sold on that page? Or are there other sites with the lowest price? Thank you...
09-22-2018, 10:00 PM
It very well may be worth it to improve their performance of the G1 Prime in light of how many Primes there are out there. Consider well that third parties brought Meta Kernel to market and improve performance of the HP 48 even though the hardware did not change. It was such a great accomplishment, in fact, that HP basically built Meta Kernel into the 50g! Of course, rewriting the OS for the G1 Prime probably wouldn’t achieve such a great improvement in overall performance, but if there’s a way to accelerate boot time, such an improvement would be very noticeable to all G1 Prime users.
09-22-2018, 10:07 PM
(09-22-2018 10:00 PM)JDW Wrote:  It very well may be worth it to improve their performance of the G1 Prime in light of how many Primes there are out there. Consider well that third parties brought Meta Kernel to market and improve performance of the HP 48 even though the hardware did not change. It was such a great accomplishment, in fact, that HP basically built Meta Kernel into the 50g! Of course, rewriting the OS for the G1 Prime probably wouldn’t achieve such a great improvement in overall performance, but if there’s a way to accelerate boot time, such an improvement would be very noticeable to all G1 Prime users.

Indiegogo?
You know: One must PAY for it.
If FREE then the question is at hand:
Should I sell all my HP shares?
09-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Pay for what? There’s nothing yet in existence to pay for. But if there was something in existence, after proper evaluation, it probably would be worth the cost if the cost is reasonable.

Consider well that Meta Kernel was sold, not given away for free. And guess what? People bought it. Imagine that. :-)

My point is that we should stop worshipping the status quo and stop thinking nothing should ever change. Change is good. That remains true even if I as one person cannot invoke the desired change through coding. Steve Jobs didn’t invoke all the change at Apple single-handedly himself in terms of the software code or hardware engineering, but he did inspire others to do that amazing work. Don’t resist new ideas and a call for improvements or change. Resistance is futile! :-)
09-23-2018, 09:03 AM
(09-22-2018 10:12 PM)JDW Wrote:  Pay for what? There’s nothing yet in existence to pay for. But if there was something in existence, after proper evaluation, it probably would be worth the cost if the cost is reasonable.

Consider well that Meta Kernel was sold, not given away for free. And guess what? People bought it. Imagine that. :-)

My point is that we should stop worshipping the status quo and stop thinking nothing should ever change. Change is good. That remains true even if I as one person cannot invoke the desired change through coding. Steve Jobs didn’t invoke all the change at Apple single-handedly himself in terms of the software code or hardware engineering, but he did inspire others to do that amazing work. Don’t resist new ideas and a call for improvements or change. Resistance is futile! :-)
EXACTLY!
At that time the Meta Kernel people were not working for the Hewlett-Packard co..

The current calculator unit doesn't have the resources to code a whole OS for the G1
The company which coded the OS will not code a new OS for the G1
nor port the G2 OS to the obsolete G1 hardware.
The OS was/is not made specifically for calculators.
I think that the very reason for the new G2 hardware is
that the old G1 hardware isn't supported anymore.

In the recent history the Saturn CPU was emulated in the ARM
because it was no longer feasible to produce the old Saturn CPU.

Life goes on and the old stays behind us while the new is coming from the horizon.
Don't dwell in the past, don't stand in the way of progress and change.
;-)
VPN
PS: you can always just buy the new, fast HP Prime G2
and thus support the small, under-resourced HP calculator crew.

PPS: I furtively wish that they'll have the time to code the Stack(s) as List(s)
and introduce #RPL ... #end for RPL programs, but the resources are very thin.
I think Cyrille could do it... even easily - given the time needed
09-23-2018, 08:53 PM
[quote='CyberAngel' pid='104514' dateline=' hardware isn't supported anymore.
PS: you can always just buy the new, fast HP Prime G2
and thus support the small, under-resourced HP calculator crew.
[/quote]

I just purchased two G1 Prime units in July. Since I don’t have a calculator addiction problem, I’m not compelled to buy yet another one only a couple months later.

The best way to support the HP calculator crew is for HP to reconsider their existing marketing. As I’ve said many times, I purchased my Primes from Walmart because Walmart had the best price. Many people are like that — frugal. The retail stores stock and display TI calculators but not the Prime. I had to buy the Prime from Walmart online. I think that’s a problem. The Prime needs to be in the face of buyers both online and in the brick and mortar stores, regardless of whether T.I. has a monopoly lock on the US educational market. The Prime also should appear in HP’s web stores internationally. For example, I live in Japan and I checked the HP Japan web store, but the Prime does not appear there. Even if one tries to argue that HP has no control over what Walmart stocks in its retail stores, HP certainly has the power to control what it stocks on its own website.

I think HP needs to advertise more. I’m not sure what it would cost them to create videos, but they can put them on YouTube for free. And most younger people these days are quite addicted to watching YouTube videos, as are their parents who get online to search for the best tools for their kids for school.

My point is that people can’t buy something that they don’t know about. You and I know about the Prime because we’ve been familiar with HP products for years. Most people aren’t. That needs to change. And for what it’s worth, I did my part by creating an overview video on the Prime which also showcases some of the older HP calculators as well. In that video I advise people to buy the Prime. I even mentioned the new Prime as well. The more videos there are on the Prime (whether from HP or individuals like me), the more people will become a familiar with it and the more confidence instilled that it’s a good product that they should want to buy. That helps HP. And what helps HP helps you and me.
09-24-2018, 12:11 AM
Agreed on ads & own web pages
09-26-2018, 11:11 AM
(09-22-2018 08:12 PM)math7 Wrote:  Does anyone know how much is the total price of the HP Prime G2 by buying it on the derenkewinkel page of holland already with the destination United States of America with tax and all-inclusive? In other words, the calculator plus the tax plus the transport how much goes to the United States? And is the G2 really this model that is sold on that page? Or are there other sites with the lowest price? Thank you...

I just got a reply from Klass Kuperus, saying that the website has been fixed regarding VAT and USA orders. He has stated, earlier in this thread, that it's definitely a G2 version.

So, I placed an order for one, total is 140 euros including shipping, which is about $164 today.
09-26-2018, 12:15 PM
(09-22-2018 08:12 PM)math7 Wrote:  Does anyone know how much is the total price of the HP Prime G2 by buying it on the derenkewinkel page of holland already with the destination United States of America with tax and all-inclusive? In other words, the calculator plus the tax plus the transport how much goes to the United States? And is the G2 really this model that is sold on that page? Or are there other sites with the lowest price? Thank you...

Good luck if you're ordering from the USA! I ordered on Aug 14 and still don't have a calculator. The G2 was shipped out but returned to the company for some reason so I was told it would be shipped again. Now I'm getting email from a guy named Pavel Štěpánek about the order. Klaas is very helpful but for some reason my particular order is giving international shipping companies fits. Other people in the USA have received their G2 in about two weeks so maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Oh, dear! For $30 to ship I would expect a silky smooth delivery.

Oh, well, my old Prime feeds my addiction nicely.
09-26-2018, 06:56 PM
Hi, toml_12953

For your trouble, you should get back some compensation ...
I once ordered a $100 stainless screen (for a shaker), and it got lost in the mail.
After some complaints, they agree not to trace where the part ends-up, and re-shipped another, over-night !

The lost screen somehow got sorted out, and delivered to me a month later.
I called the salesman about what to do about the extra screen, and he say, "keep it".
Just to be sure, I ask "how much to keep it?" FREE !

A good company should be like this ...
10-13-2018, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2018 10:35 PM by akmon.)
Hello, I´ve just purchased th G2 prime on this web if you want to try it: https://www.solocalculadoras.com/inicio/8-hp-prime.html

I´m going to test the benchmarks you attached on this site to compare with my G8X92AA

AS I had a Samsung battery, I´m going to swap it, although there is only a little diference (2100 mAh Samsung vs 2000 mAh Hp.

I did a diagnostic on both units, and there are a few changes ont the menu choices, in the attached pictures (note that the batteries were not swapped yet).

[Image: S3rEfpZ.jpg?1]
10-14-2018, 06:04 AM
What is DEEP MODE?
10-14-2018, 01:54 PM
A deep power off mode.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)