HP 17bii + Incomplete Calculator- Deception
07-30-2018, 06:58 AM
HP 17bii + Incomplete Calculator- Deception
Hello, I would like to know and confirm those who can do it, if the HP 17bii + calculator, in the mathematical menu, that is, MATH menu, what are the functions that it brings? Is that I downloaded the manual and it only seems that it comes with 6 functions nothing more! All other HP financial calculators come with trigonometric and hyperbolic, logarithmic, and other functions. In the HP 19bii, HP 20b, HP30b, HP 17bii bring many commonly used mathematical functions, but the manual of the HP 17bii + brings a menu map and says that it only brings 6 functions !!!

LOG
10*X
LN
EXP
N!
PI

which I think is a big disappointment if it were like that, because the other mathematical functions that bring the other models of HP are very useful too and there may be some formula in this calculator that the user wants to enter and had to use for example the sen ( ), or cos () or some other.

It is a pity that they have discontinued the HP 19bii model, that calculator although it had less memory than the current 17bii +, had about 450 functions, including mathematics, financial, conversion of units of length, mass and time, ah, and could graph certain results as well!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2018, 12:15 AM
RE: HP 17bii + Incomplete Calculator- Deception
The HP10B and HP17B came out within a year of each other, but each series seemed directed to a different audience (would love to know the HP marketing plan for each!). The HP10B (10BII and 10BII+) have all the finance, math and statistics functions you mention, while the HP17B (17BII and 17BII+) have limited math functions, but include time, date, appointments and the amazing Solver that supplement the usual business functions. You can also switch to RPN mode!

Either of the two latest models, 10BII+ and 17BII+, are pretty nice calculators. I find the 17 Solver endlessly useful for quick problem solving myself, and wouldn't trade it for all the math of the other model. Pick what suits you best!

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-31-2018, 12:29 AM
RE: HP 17bii + Incomplete Calculator- Deception
Think the time progression as well.

All HP-12C / CP variants - no trig functions despite my pleas

HP-10B - no trig functions
HP-14B - no trig functions
HP-17B - no trig functions
HP-19B - trig functions
HP-17BII - no trig functions
HP-19BII - trig functions

HP-10BII - no trig functions

LOT OF TIME here

HP-17BII+ - no trig functions - might be the same microcode as 17BII in different ID

HP-20B - trig functions
HP-30B - trig functions

HP-10BII+ - trig functions YAY!

So the HP-17BII is MUCH older than the HP-20b etc. The 17BII+ is of the same era internally, so you can't really compare the current models with trig to the old ones without.

It is perfectly fair to wonder why the old did not have trig, but that's a different question than the original comparing different era machines.

FWIW, a group of us begged HP to add trig to the financial line back in 2005 (?). I like to think the HP 10BII+ eventually grew out of that once Tim Wessman arrived! :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)