A question re go71
07-29-2018, 10:19 PM
RE: A question re go71
Some updates:

I. (IRAM not preserved) - I found that wiping all Android data and starting again resolved this issue, so indeed my state file was somehow corrupted.

II. (Can't remove rom image) Very Strange: If I use a rom image file called "JPCF05.ROM", the problem persists, even after wiping all Android app data, however if I change the filename to "jpcf05.rom" then it works as expected. I see Didier also had success with an image file with lower case filetype.

It makes no sense to me that the filetype case should have any effect...

I also confirmed other rom images (all named "something.rom" and not "SOMETHING.ROM") work as expected, including in Port-3.

Even stranger: When I tried to rename "JPCF05.ROM" to "JPCF05.rom" (using Android File manager) I was getting error messages saying that "folder already existed" (note there are no folders within the folder I am working). Perhaps Android has file renaming issues due to cached filenames?

My thanks to JLouis and Didier for testing and follow-up comments. As time allows, I suggest you uninstall and delete the imported image from the emulator, then rename the file and import and install again to see if this problem is unique to my system.

FYI, I'm using a Moto Z Force Droid, running Android 8.0.0.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2018, 11:19 PM
(07-29-2018 10:19 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It makes no sense to me that the filetype case should have any effect...
Robert,
I am not a Android user, but I use Linux/BSD's everyday and in the Linux/Unix world, filesystems (ext2-3-4/ReiserFS/XFS/ZFS/etc) are case sensitive.
Android is based on Linux and from what I have read, the handset/tablet manufacturers uses case sensitive file systems (Ext4/YAFFS2/RFS/etc) for their internal storage and case insensitive file systems (FAT32/VFAT/etc) for their external storage (SDCARD).
Sylvain
07-29-2018, 11:47 PM
(07-29-2018 11:19 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I am not a Android user, but I use Linux/BSD's everyday and in the Linux/Unix world, filesystems (ext2-3-4/ReiserFS/XFS/ZFS/etc) are case sensitive.
Android is based on Linux and from what I have read, the handset/tablet manufacturers uses case sensitive file systems (Ext4/YAFFS2/RFS/etc) for their internal storage and case insensitive file systems (FAT32/VFAT/etc) for their external storage (SDCARD).

This is a great point Sylvain, this is a common weakness of Linux; just kidding, it's clearly a strength, after all "a" is not "A", is it?). The weird thing is that go71b does let you pick that file with UC and it seems to work, just not completely. My guess is the file picker 'dialog' tool for the app handles it both with UC and LC, but the internal routines use default Android APIs which presume one is using LC, or perhaps that although handled on input, it is not converted for subsequent use.

Anyhow, now that's figured out, it's very easy and consistent to import and install any image, including my custom JPC ROM image, which adds several key LEX files (ROMCOPY, HLPLEX, DISLEX, etc.).

Thanks for this observation, I believe this is exactly the issue underlying the problem I encountered. I would report it to Olivier, however he will likely point out that the documentation indeed says to use "rom" rather than ROM, lol.

--Bob Prosperi
07-29-2018, 11:57 PM
Hi Bob,

You are right, with lower case everything work as expected!

Really thanks!
07-30-2018, 12:21 AM
(07-29-2018 11:57 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  You are right, with lower case everything work as expected!

Really thanks!

No, thank you for checking Jlouis. Your success means I am neither insane or cursed. Good news indeed!

--Bob Prosperi
08-02-2018, 10:27 PM
(07-29-2018 03:05 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It would be unique to have an HP emulator run an HP emulator.

That's not the only one, Bob...

I can execute Hrastprogrammer's HP41EX on my HP50G emulated in x49GP. Does that also count? I was able to do this a while ago.

(Post 264)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2018, 02:43 AM
(08-02-2018 10:27 PM)brickviking Wrote:  I can execute Hrastprogrammer's HP41EX on my HP50G emulated in x49GP. Does that also count?

Sure, I'd say it counts. In fact, since the 50g is technically already an emulation (Saturn on Arm), I suppose this would be an emulator, running an emulator, running an emulator.

I guess "unique" was too aggressive, probably should have stuck with "... It would be cool to have an HP emulator run an HP emulator"

--Bob Prosperi
08-03-2018, 03:20 AM
(08-03-2018 02:43 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  I suppose this would be an emulator, running an emulator, running an emulator.

I wonder if we could make CARDIAC run on the HP-41?
So we could take it even a step further: an emulator, running an emulator, running an emulator, running an emulator.

Cheers
Thomas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)