HP Prime corrupting programs
07-17-2018, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2018 02:44 PM by scorpio72.)
HP Prime corrupting programs
Hello Everybody,

I bought the HP Prime calculator last week (used, but excellent condition still under warranty) and the FW version was 2016... so I updated it directly to the last firmware, 2018.02.12 1.4.1.13441)

Problems:

Once I transfer some programs from the HP Connectivity Kit to the calculator, some of the programs runs normally but after some time, they don't run anymore (yellow exclamation mark). When I edit the code and press check, I get Syntax error at line xx then at line xx and so on.

Example : "Sokobanbeta1" game. After installing the game, it works perfectly for let's say... 4 or 5 times. I turn off the calculator, and after a while, I power it on and the program is showing syntax errors in the code and wouldn't run.

The same for "moon" app and many more. It runs ok first times, then it starts to show syntax errors when edited.

Also, Codeviewer and code editor apps never worked at all but on the virtual calc on my pc, they run okay. The first ask me which prog I want edit then don't do anything, and the second, ask me what prog I want open and once I select, I get out of memory issue. (I have 17Mo RAM free and 193Mo on Flash)

Is it due to some bugs on the last firmware version? Do you have same issues?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2018, 07:24 AM
RE: HP Prime corrupting programs
Almost 100 viewers but nobody able to provide any idea...
07-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Could you format your calculator and then see if the same things keep happening? (not sure if will fix or change anything, just a thought)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
07-18-2018, 07:45 AM
Thank you for your suggestion but this didn't solve the problem. In fact, every time a program start to through syntax errors, the RAM doesn't free up normally and I get low RAM, then if I turn off and on, the same screen is displayed even if I change to another application, I always retrieve the same screen, until I format C: and then full Reset, the machine start to work normally...

I don't understand how possible that a correct program is running for some times and then start to have different syntax errors in the code? I have some programs in this situation.

Yesterday, I flashed the last FW for the second time and I noticed that the process was different and much longer than the first time !

So I reloaded the calculator with my set of applications and programs. First remark, the app CodeViewer doesn't open any program, it does nothing after I select any program. On the virtual calc it works normally by displaying the programs with line number (functionality that I need).

Even Codeeditor doesn't work as well. Are they not compatible with the last FW version? Could you guys please check these applications?

I run other program and still getting syntax errors after few successful launches.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks a lot!
07-18-2018, 05:45 PM
(07-17-2018 09:57 AM)scorpio72 Wrote:  Hello Everybody,

I bought the HP Prime calculator last week (used, but excellent condition still under warranty) and the FW version was 2016... so I updated it directly to the last firmware, 2018.02.12 1.4.1.13441)

Problems:

There is a user comment on this page that says:

NICACIO ARAUJO Wrote:This firmware will distroy your calculator!! DON'T INSTAL. THIS'S VERY INSTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

— Ian Abbott
07-18-2018, 05:57 PM
(07-18-2018 05:45 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(07-17-2018 09:57 AM)scorpio72 Wrote:  Hello Everybody,

Problems:

There is a user comment on this page that says:

NICACIO ARAUJO Wrote:This firmware will distroy your calculator!! DON'T INSTAL. THIS'S VERY INSTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what FW version do you suggest me to install instead then?
07-18-2018, 06:18 PM
(07-18-2018 05:57 PM)scorpio72 Wrote:  
(07-18-2018 05:45 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  There is a user comment on this page that says:

And what FW version do you suggest me to install instead then?

I don't have a Prime yet so cannot answer that, but perhaps someone else can.

— Ian Abbott
07-18-2018, 06:50 PM
(07-18-2018 06:18 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(07-18-2018 05:57 PM)scorpio72 Wrote:  And what FW version do you suggest me to install instead then?

I don't have a Prime yet so cannot answer that, but perhaps someone else can.

Let me just point out this :
2017-09-19 08:27:29
This firmware will distroy your calculator!! DON'T INSTAL. THIS'S VERY INSTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The user commented something like 5 months before this version came out.

The last user who commented on that has a problem with his keyboard and didn't try to full reset before stating that issue is related to the FW update he made 2 weeks before. Should a bug exists, it should appear right away as it's about the keyboard.
07-18-2018, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2018 08:05 PM by ijabbott.)
(07-18-2018 06:50 PM)scorpio72 Wrote:  
(07-18-2018 06:18 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I don't have a Prime yet so cannot answer that, but perhaps someone else can.

Let me just point out this :
2017-09-19 08:27:29
This firmware will distroy your calculator!! DON'T INSTAL. THIS'S VERY INSTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The user commented something like 5 months before this version came out.

Oh, I didn't notice the date!

Anyway, as far as we can tell so far, you bought a lemon. At least it's still under warranty.

— Ian Abbott
07-18-2018, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2018 08:38 PM by scorpio72.)
I did another tests and here below my findings so far;

I have many programs installed, everything is working as it's a fresh install
I also have sokoban game installed and showing 110kb in the program list
I installed a program called SVD2.hpprgm from solvesys.zip
Once I tried to launch SVD2, I just got orange exclamation mark and nothing
then I noticed that sokoban is now 108kb and no running anymore (syntax error line 299 about RECT_P(......FFFFFF)
It means 2kb got lost
Memory RAM dropped
Tried deleting sokoban and resend it again from PC, still 108Kb and not running, many times I repeated the operation.
First reset (shift symb) didn't fix anything
Then Diag menu, "9" Reset, still nothing
So Diag menu and Format C: then "9" reset
Now, the settings are not saved anymore (font size, display light, complex numbers checkbox, date). If I turn off, restart, the settings are back to default
Again Diag menu, "9" reset, and now only the complex numbers checkbox doesn't save state after turning off or normal reset
Again Diag menu, Format C:, did full check for ROM, RAM, etc... all ok, then "9" reset, and now back to normal with settings are saved after truning off.
Reinstalled all apps and Sokoban game is back to 110Kb in size and running.

Conclusion : The program memory area is not protected and some programs could be corrupted by another programs

Please check and let me know your findings. The problem is repeatable. Need an urgent fix.
07-19-2018, 05:20 AM
I don't have a solution because I just ordered 2 Primes myself, but I am going to closely watch this thread.
07-19-2018, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2018 08:21 AM by Tim Wessman.)
Can you tell me exactly what it says in the "About HP Prime" page? Specifically the "operating system" is of interest.

Also, I assume you are talking about this program file: https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7484

And this one: https://www.hpcalc.org/details/7777

?

TW

07-19-2018, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2018 08:18 AM by scorpio72.)
It says : Software version : 2018 02 12 (13441) and I have a C version of the HP Prime.

I noticed another effect after trying to launch a bad program (not only SVD2):

Shift 7 (List) now take some seconds (slow) to show the list of the variables.
Mem is around 7-8Mb

It's not solved by simple 9 "Reset", but need full Reset to get back Mem to around 17Mb and display List instantly.

This situation is happening not only with the app I mentioned but also with others. When I see the orange exclamation mark and a program doesn't run, I quickly check the Mem and I see a big drop with List display getting very slow...until I force a full reset (format C: ) or Apps-Esc-ON.

I believe there is a connection between Lists and overlapping programs memory area and RAM.
07-19-2018, 08:22 AM
(07-19-2018 08:07 AM)scorpio72 Wrote:  It says : Software version : 2018 02 12 (13441) and I have a C version of the HP Prime.

What does it say for "Operating System:"?

TW

07-19-2018, 08:49 AM
(07-19-2018 08:22 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(07-19-2018 08:07 AM)scorpio72 Wrote:  It says : Software version : 2018 02 12 (13441) and I have a C version of the HP Prime.

What does it say for "Operating System:"?

It says
operating System :
V0.050.639
07-19-2018, 04:36 PM
There seem to be different latest firmwares on HP's FTP site, presumably for the different hardware revisions?

I wish HP made it easier to find these!

— Ian Abbott
07-19-2018, 08:33 PM
Thanks a lot for the news about this very last firmware version, very welcome !

Unfortunately, after flashing this version and doing the same test scenario mentioned above, I observed the same symptoms and problems regarding RAM management (need reset to get back to 17Mb) and the flash memory area reserved for Lists and Programs is not protected and could result in programs getting corrupted and even crunched (from 110Kb to 108Kb for instance)

I had to format C: "9" reset for 3 or 4 times in order to get back to >17Mb RAM instead of 16.30Mb, and a state where the settings are saved when the calculator is turned off then on.
(when I checked the RAM and found >17Mb, I understood that the settings are able to be saved now)

Please, if HP Prime developers are reading this, please review this case and provide a fix that will make this calculator really perfect. A fix of this level will certainly ensure a very important stability needed by the users. This will be a really big fix and important step.

New version installed :
Software Version : 2.0.0.13865 (2018 07 06)
Operating system : V0.050.640
HW : C

Thank you
07-19-2018, 09:17 PM
So, is 2018 07 06 a recent valid firmware update?

I just plugged my Prime into my HP Connectivity Kit, and asked to check for updates, and it said there are none. If I try to force an update, it says that what it has for me is what I already have: 2018 02 12.

I'm puzzled...

smp
07-19-2018, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2018 10:00 PM by scorpio72.)
(07-19-2018 09:17 PM)smp Wrote:  So, is 2018 07 06 a recent valid firmware update?

I just plugged my Prime into my HP Connectivity Kit, and asked to check for updates, and it said there are none. If I try to force an update, it says that what it has for me is what I already have: 2018 02 12.

I'm puzzled...

smp

Hello SMP,
For the moment, you need to download the fw zip and unzip it under an empty "firmware" folder within your connectivity kit and then force an update.
Please report any issue related to the new update on the thread I just created for this purpose.
This thread is for programs corruption issue; if you have any problem regarding that topic you are welcome to post your valuable remarks here Wink
Thank you
07-20-2018, 12:47 AM
(07-19-2018 09:59 PM)scorpio72 Wrote:  <…snip…>
This thread is for programs corruption issue; if you have any problem regarding that topic you are welcome to post your valuable remarks here Wink
Thank you

I guess that I’ve been put in my place!

Thanks for strictly enforcing your need for keeping things segregated.

smp

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)