restoring WALL from cards into smaller ext mem
07-05-2018, 12:24 AM
restoring WALL from cards into smaller ext mem
What happens if you take a set of HP41CX WALL magnetic cards written with a calculator using an extended memory module to give it more than124 registers and restore it into a calculator without the extended memory module?

Assume the source calculator has filled its extended memory.

Does the restore leave you with program memory restored and the first 124 regs of extended?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2018, 12:47 AM
RE: restoring WALL from cards into smaller ext mem
(07-05-2018 12:24 AM)twdeckard Wrote:  What happens if you take a set of HP41CX WALL magnetic cards written with a calculator using an extended memory module to give it more than124 registers and restore it into a calculator without the extended memory module?

Assume the source calculator has filled its extended memory.

Does the restore leave you with program memory restored and the first 124 regs of extended?

Thanks!

WALL in the 41C Card Reader does not write Extended Memory. The Card Reader was released when the original 41C was released, before Extended Memory existed. If you try to restore a WALL set to a machine with less RAM than installed when the WALL cards were created, you get a NO ROOM error message and read is aborted (IIRC).

--Bob Prosperi
07-05-2018, 01:00 AM
RE: restoring WALL from cards into smaller ext mem
Thanks for this! I saw the references to data registers and misread this as extended memory. Saved me from a frivolous e-bay purchase. All my software makes at least some use of extended memory.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)