HP Connectivity kit question
06-25-2018, 07:49 PM
HP Connectivity kit question
I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread and I can't seem to find the answer to this. I have the HP connectivity kit loaded on my Mac and am able to connect my Prime to it and copy and paste programs in and they do indeed transfer to the Prime.

With the connectivity kit, can I start a emulator or a simulated Prime on the screen on the computer to run the programs I just entered or do I need to constantly have them transferred onto my Prime Calculator and run them there? I would think that since you can edit programs on the Connectivity kit you should be able to test them right there on the computer. I am just not sure how to do this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2018, 09:15 PM
RE: HP Connectivity kit question
Connect calculator and open emulator. There will be two calculators in Connectivity kit, virtual and physical. You can transfer data between a virtual calculator and a physical calculator in Connectivity kit. Just copy and paste. Or drag.
06-25-2018, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2018 09:32 PM by Voldemar.)
(06-25-2018 07:49 PM)Mikebike Wrote:  can I start a emulator or a simulated Prime on the screen on the computer to run the programs I just entered or do I need to constantly have them transferred onto my Prime Calculator and run them there?
You can start an emulator (virtual calculator) and run the programs on it.
06-25-2018, 11:12 PM
(06-25-2018 07:49 PM)Mikebike Wrote:  With the connectivity kit, can I start a emulator ...

Your wording is slightly ambiguous so, just to be really clear: you can't start the emulator 'with' (i.e. using) the connectivity kit because they are separate programs. But you can start the emulator 'with' (i.e. alongside) the Connectivity Kit.

Just launch the HP Prime emulator and it will show up in the Connectivity Kit in the same way that your physical Prime shows up and you can send programs to it etc.

(If it doesn't show up then make sure that 'Enable network' is checked in Preferences-> IP Networking)
06-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Small hints- I gave different names to the physical and virtual calculators. When both are connected it makes it easier to keep track of them.

The connectivity kit has features for a classroom environment which includes a content pane. Items in this pane can be copied to/from from connected calculators but remain on the computer. I use the content pane as a short term backup when developing programs.

Good luck.
06-27-2018, 07:33 AM
(06-26-2018 02:18 PM)Randall Wrote:  Small hints- I gave different names to the physical and virtual calculators. When both are connected it makes it easier to keep track of them.

When I did that I just HAD to call the physical machine "Optimus" Smile
06-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Did you have to call the other machine, "Pessimus?"
06-27-2018, 09:52 AM
(06-27-2018 09:45 AM)DrD Wrote:  Did you have to call the other machine, "Pessimus?"

Not sure if you got the (admittedly rather silly) reference or not...
06-27-2018, 12:29 PM
I did get that reference to which you were referring ... but, in similar fashion, did you get the equally silly, ying/yang, of the device names?

Optimus for the physical device
Pessimus for the virtual device

Where one might inspire optimism, the other pessimism.

Oh well, what's in a name, anyway....
06-27-2018, 01:24 PM
(06-27-2018 07:33 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  When I did that I just HAD to call the physical machine "Optimus" Smile

I call my physical calculator Emirp. Smile
06-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Actually, my naming method only had 1 criteria.

The machine names had to look much different so that bleary and tired eyes could see that difference.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)