DM 42 Source code updated
06-15-2018, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2018 05:35 PM by BarryMead.)
RE: DM 42 Source code updated
(06-13-2018 12:22 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(06-05-2018 03:09 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I do think it's now possible for other people to do their own customizations on the DM42 program, compile them and flash them in their calculator (or write a completely different program altogether), that's what this community wanted and that's in the spirit of the GPL.

I agree. I think SwissMicros did a good job with the 3.7 release, and I have no complaints about it.
I have always maintained that Thomas Okken has the final word on GPL Compliance for the DM42 as he is the original author of Free42. If Thomas is happy, I am happy. For me this issue is fully resolved, and I have a clean conscience to buy a DM42. Thank You Swiss Micros! I already placed my order for a DM42. I hope that the resolution of the DM42 GPL compliance issue reinvigorates the WP43S project and other user contributed calculator designs well into the future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2018, 05:35 PM
I received my DM42 calculator a week ago, and I have to say it is of much higher quality than expected, and better than all of the other Swiss Micros products. The keyboard tactile click feel is excellent and slightly softer than the DM15. The huge display is far superior to the original HP42S and the extra features like the built in quick reference guide really hit the ball out of the park! Well Done Swiss Micros! I couldn't be any happier with my purchase. I give this product my highest recommendation.
06-30-2018, 07:21 PM
(06-30-2018 05:35 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  The keyboard tactile click feel is excellent and slightly softer than the DM15.

I wonder if SwissMicros are incorporating Logan West's key pre-flexing trick in their assembly process now. How does your ENTER key feel?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2018, 12:22 AM
(06-30-2018 07:21 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(06-30-2018 05:35 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  The keyboard tactile click feel is excellent and slightly softer than the DM15.

I wonder if SwissMicros are incorporating Logan West's key pre-flexing trick in their assembly process now. How does your ENTER key feel?

I wondered the same thing when I read Barry's post. In general, most folks have stated that the DM42's keyboard seems stiffer/harder than one of the DM1x machines, but then again that could be because most folks with a DM1x machine have likely used it for months or years and they typically are comparing with a brand new DM42.

So, Michael - are the keys on newly assembled DM42s pre-flexed as shown in Logan's video?

--Bob Prosperi
07-01-2018, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 07:27 PM by BarryMead.)
(06-30-2018 07:21 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  

If you press on either end of the Enter key the tactile feel is like any other key. If you press in the middle it has a slightly firmer feel (barely noticeable).
I am not familiar with Logan West's pre-flexing trick so I cannot say one way or the other about that. The feel is better than the HP12C Platinum, but not quite as good as the HP15C Limited Edition (in my opinion).
I realize that tactile feel is very subjective and that my definition of better may not match with others.
07-02-2018, 03:43 AM
(07-01-2018 07:22 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  I am not familiar with Logan West's pre-flexing trick so I cannot say one way or the other about that.

I was referring to this:

https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic....=140#p8478
https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewtopic....=150#p8492

It sounds like your DM42 is fine without this treatment. On mine, it improved the keyboard feel significantly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)