06-03-2018, 10:27 AM
HP-15c eBay scammer???
Scam? You tell me:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/h435346457567567/m.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2018, 10:38 AM
RE: HP-15c eBay scammer???
He's a brand new member with no feedback and a gibberish username, running multiple listings of the exact same item with a stock photo at a fraction of the market price. Run away.
06-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Hmm. ebay seller since 1 day ago. Condition: Used. Seller Notes: "See Pictures and Description", but only a stock photo and generic ad copy provided.
06-03-2018, 10:56 AM
I'm tempted to buy one. eBay supposedly provides full protection, in the likely event it would be needed here. Gotta wonder what a scammer thinks they can achieve these days on eBay...?
06-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Is it ethical to force eBay to reimburse you out of their own pocket when you know perfectly well that the seller is running a scam before you purchase the item? Regardless of whether you pay for it or eBay pays for it, the scammer still runs away with the money.
06-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Definitely a scam. Buy it and you'll probably be sent a photo of a 15C. If anything.
06-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Interesting. He apparently sold two of them, but all the rest of the auctions were cancelled. Before I saw the thread here, I had seen his slew of HP15C auctions and asked him a couple of questions (like some actual pictures of the units for sale). No reply.

So, who among us bought? I'd be curious what the buyer(s) actually receives. $59 each for a pile of 15Cs all at once from a brand new eBay member sounded too dicey to me, tempting as it was.
I think if they were $80 and there was just one at a time, he might have hooked more. Real pictures of an actual calculator would have helped, too.
06-03-2018, 10:12 PM
The seller has been unregistered by eBay.
06-04-2018, 06:13 AM
(06-03-2018 08:40 PM)burkhard Wrote:  So, who among us bought?
No one methinks. The payment was not accepted and the buyers likely were notified about the cancellation of the sellers account. Of course, I can only speak for myself.

Well, I tried. Of course I did, I have to say. Owning and using a 15C LE, I'm quite keen on getting the original 15C.
06-04-2018, 12:50 PM
No more listing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2018, 02:05 PM
(06-03-2018 11:05 AM)Accutron Wrote:  Is it ethical to force eBay to reimburse you out of their own pocket when you know perfectly well that the seller is running a scam before you purchase the item? Regardless of whether you pay for it or eBay pays for it, the scammer still runs away with the money.

I was tempted and wasn't 100% certain it was a scam, but it was too suspicious to me. If I were certain it was a scam, though, I wouldn't buy. Who would? What is the upside of the hassle? You get your money back (maybe eventually), but nothing more.

The way I see it, if it's eBay's policy to protect their customers from scams, I don't have a problem taking them up on that offer. Heaven knows they've made a mountain off me over the years. :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)