Printer for V41?
05-28-2018, 05:31 PM
Printer for V41?
Hi all -

I really like Warren Furlow's V41 emulator, but there is something I miss: unlike the WP34s (which can control an 82240 IR-printer emulator) or Free42 (which features an integrated printer) I don't see a way of generating printed output with V41.

Yes, the ROMs of the 82143A (printer.mod) and the IR-printer (IR-print.mod) are included among the emulator files, but they do not produce any output. After plugging in the IR-print module V41 (version 8) won't even power on: clicking ON turns the display off, then another ON does not seem to do anything. On the other hand printer.mod seems to work, but every print command only returns a "PRINTER OFF" message. #-)

Any ideas?

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2018, 11:28 AM
RE: Printer for V41?
You're not alone wishing V41 had some printer support. Unfortunately such doesn't seem a likely thing considering how little effort has gone into updating V41 in the last decade or so, which to my knowledge has just been for Windoze releases compatibility.

A real shame, V41 is a MCODER's dream for its breakpoint and trace capabilities!
06-04-2018, 07:54 PM
(06-04-2018 11:28 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  You're not alone wishing V41 had some printer support. Unfortunately such doesn't seem a likely thing considering how little effort has gone into updating V41 in the last decade or so, which to my knowledge has just been for Windoze releases compatibility.

A real shame, V41 is a MCODER's dream for its breakpoint and trace capabilities!

Indeed. I use V41 to test all of the CL code I write. I would be incredibly
awesome if I were competent enough to modify V41 to support the CL. But
that is not to be.

On a somewhat related note, am I correct in thinking that HP never released the
source code for the printer or the IR printer? I would really like to understand
how they work, but without comments it's nearly impossible. I've been comparing
the code for these two cases, and it's clear that the printer code was the
starting point for the IR printer code, because there is striking similarity between
the various routines. But it's hard to figure out how the various status bits are
arranged, or even what they are. Very frustrating.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2018, 01:18 PM
(06-04-2018 07:54 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  On a somewhat related note, am I correct in thinking that HP never released the
source code for the printer or the IR printer? I would really like to understand
how they work, but without comments it's nearly impossible. I've been comparing
the code for these two cases, and it's clear that the printer code was the
starting point for the IR printer code, because there is striking similarity between
the various routines. But it's hard to figure out how the various status bits are
arranged, or even what they are. Very frustrating.

I don;t remember where it came from but I have a pdf document with the printer VASM, titled "Printer_VASM_62A.pdf"- will send it to your email address...
06-05-2018, 07:59 PM
For what it is worth, at the HHC2013 HP Conference in Fort Collins, Jackie Woldering made available his hand-retyped and searchable pdf files of the HP-41C, HP-IL Printer and HP-IL Cassette VASM Listings.

Jake
06-06-2018, 01:54 AM
(06-05-2018 07:59 PM)Jake Schwartz Wrote:  For what it is worth, at the HHC2013 HP Conference in Fort Collins, Jackie Woldering made available his hand-retyped and searchable pdf files of the HP-41C, HP-IL Printer and HP-IL Cassette VASM Listings.

Jake

Thanks. I have those. They are somewhat useful because they have the calling
conventions for the printer functions. But since the comm is completely
different, it doesn't help much with the hardware-specific printer and ir printer
code.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)