RPN for MSDOS
05-28-2018, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2018 05:06 PM by Rogier.)
RPN for MSDOS
Back in the 80's is wrote a RPN-simulator for my ZX-Spectrum. That program is now lost forever since neither the ZX-Spectrum, nor the tapes I used to save my programs, nor the hand-written hardcopies have survived.

However, when my parents bought their first PC, I started converting the program to GWBasic, expanding it in the process. Recently I stumbled upon an archive backup with a working executable + application programs dating from 1990. It is not a "final" version and lacking in some parts, but it will calculate and run quite complex programs (like my Code-guessing/Mastermind program).

It is basically a HP-33C/E, but with 9 Registers, 99 Program steps, 1 Flag and 3 User definable keys. No continuous memory, but capability for loading and storing programs. I left out quite a number of functions. Sometimes out of necessity (when you decide to use one-letter function names, you'll notice that you run out of logical choices really fast), sometimes it's just weird (where's y^x?).
Oh, one important extra: it features a HELP-routine that tells you where I have hidden all the functions.

Screenprint:

The screenprint shows the situation after running the program I loaded (not Mastermind), starting at line 1. The thumbnail-picture shows HELP page 2 (texts in Dutch).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2018, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 01:39 PM by Harald.)
RE: RPN for MSDOS
(05-28-2018 04:56 PM)Rogier Wrote:  Back in the 80's is wrote a RPN-simulator for my ZX-Spectrum. That program is now lost forever since neither the ZX-Spectrum, nor the tapes I used to save my programs, nor the hand-written hardcopies have survived.

However, when my parents bought their first PC, I started converting the program to GWBasic, expanding it in the process. Recently I stumbled upon an archive backup with a working executable + application programs dating from 1990. It is not a "final" version and lacking in some parts, but it will calculate and run quite complex programs (like my Code-guessing/Mastermind program).

It is basically a HP-33C/E, but with 9 Registers, 99 Program steps, 1 Flag and 3 User definable keys. No continuous memory, but capability for loading and storing programs. I left out quite a number of functions. Sometimes out of necessity (when you decide to use one-letter function names, you'll notice that you run out of logical choices really fast), sometimes it's just weird (where's y^x?).
Oh, one important extra: it features a HELP-routine that tells you where I have hidden all the functions.

Screenprint:

The screenprint shows the situation after running the program I loaded (not Mastermind), starting at line 1. The thumbnail-picture shows HELP page 2 (texts in Dutch).

Did you intend to share the *.bas file? I can't find it anywhere...
05-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Very cool! I've been dabbling in Turbo Pascal 5.5 on my palmtop, and I'm tempted to put together a programmable scientific calculator, since the device wasn't shipped with anything like that. But I'm not sure if TP's numeric functions and 8087 emulation are "good enough", or if I would be better off finding an alternative numeric methods library (possibly BCD-based).

I like the information density you've got there, with all the regs, stack, and program steps shown neatly on a single screen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-29-2018, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 07:06 PM by Rogier.)
Harald: Sorry, so far I have only found the EXE and application programs. I posted the set as a .ZIP-file. If I ever find a .BAS, or instructions for the programs, I'll post those too. The EXE runs on 32-bit Windows-10. I think it will run on any other 32-bit Windows. No mouse support of course. GW-BASIC did not allow for that (or at least I did not know how to do it). Texts are in Dutch, but I think you can figure out most of it if you know your way around an HP-calculator. If not, just ask.

Dave: I can't really imagine that Turbo Pascal is any worse than GW-BASIC. I wrote basic, just because I was better at that than at TP.

Attached File(s)
.zip  RPN4c.zip (Size: 27.89 KB / Downloads: 5)
05-29-2018, 07:15 PM
(05-29-2018 12:17 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Very cool! I've been dabbling in Turbo Pascal 5.5 on my palmtop, and I'm tempted to put together a programmable scientific calculator, since the device wasn't shipped with anything like that. But I'm not sure if TP's numeric functions and 8087 emulation are "good enough", or if I would be better off finding an alternative numeric methods library (possibly BCD-based).

I like the information density you've got there, with all the regs, stack, and program steps shown neatly on a single screen.

Once upon a time TP 3 came in 8087 and BCD versions.
Check it here!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
05-29-2018, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2018 09:29 PM by Joe Horn.)
Not programmable, but here's an MS-DOS RPN program I've been using for almost 30 years. Massively obsolete but still fun to play with. Best feature: adjustable precision from 3 to 1075 digits. The sample "screen shot" below was grabbed after executing 9 ENTER F6 (factorial) ENTER F6 (factorial). Not even LONGFLOAT on the HP 50g can handle that!

Code:
===== initial help screen =====

Extended Precision Calculator 5.0

BIGCALC works like an H-P calculator with stack and ten memory registers.
Maximum precision settable from 3 to 1075 digits. Exponents to ±999999999.
Execute BIGCALC like this:

BIGCALC precision   (precision is maximum number of digits, default is 50)

BIGCALC has +, -, x, ÷, √X, X², X!, Y^X, logs, trig, pi, e, print, much more.
All trig functions work in radians. BIGCALC is fast, but some operations on
large numbers may take up to several minutes. You can abort long calculations
by pressing the Escape key. Press F1 for on-screen help. Registers can be
viewed in full, or printed to printer or disk.

You can specify floating decimal or scientific notation display. Large numbers
display in scientific notation to about 65 digits all the time, but the view
and print commands show full precision in 3 or 5 digit groups.

===== running program screen =====

Extended Precision Calculator 5.0
       Precision is 50 digits,  Digit grouping is 5,  Print to Printer
=============================  R E G I S T E R S  =============================
0: 0
1: 0
2: 0
3: 0
4: 0
5: 0
6: 0
7: 0
8: 0
9: 0
=================================  S T A C K  =================================
T: 0
Z: 9
Y: 362880
X: 1.6097144004100126211034436107333177265055203976228 e1859933
                                                         (M rotates Fn key menu)
0-9.E  Number   + >Add        X >Xchg X R   V >View full    F1 >Help  F2 >Y^X
    S  ChgSign  - >Sub   Lft/Rt >Xchg X Y   F >Float/Sci    F3 >√X    F4 >X²
BkSpc  Clear X  * >Mul   Up/Dwn >Roll UpDn  G >Group 3/5    F5 >1/X   F6 >X!
Enter >Enter    / >Div     PgUp >Store      P >Print        F7 >INT   F8 >FRAC
    L >Last X   C >Clear   PgDn >Recall     D >Disk/Print   F9 >π     F0 >e                                (Esc to Exit)

EDIT: The latest version of BIGCALC (5.0) is available for download from the author's own website here: http://sunvaley.com/Download/C/BigCalc.zip

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
05-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Another vote for BIGCALC. On reading this thread, I immediately thought of that. Glad to see Joe beat me to it!
05-31-2018, 05:52 PM
Thanks for that post, Joe. Next time I'm asked for a result with 1075 significant digits, I'll be ready!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)