Programming language is Python:

http://www.casio-education.fr/products/graph-90-e
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2018, 02:45 PM
RE: CASIO Graph 90+E
(05-08-2018 01:48 PM)Gerald H Wrote:  Programming language is Python:

http://www.casio-education.fr/products/graph-90-e

I wonder if the fx-CG50 can do Python as well since the 90+E is supposed to be the French version.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-09-2018, 12:17 AM
(05-08-2018 02:45 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I wonder if the fx-CG50 can do Python as well since the 90+E is supposed to be the French version.

Probably not. Python is recommended in the new French school programs, so maybe there will be a specific firmware for the 90+E, as there is already a specific firmware for the Australian FX-CG50AU.
As far as I know, Casio communicates about Python only in French.

Jean-Charles
05-09-2018, 01:40 AM
The newsletter http://www.casio-education.fr/articles/n...asio-forum has more screenshots and details - very interesting. Hopefully there will be an English version of this calculator some day.

First Numworks, now Casio adopting Python - interesting what technology outcomes school curriculums can influence.

The HP Prime already supports Python (to a degree) in CAS mode - though would love definitive documentation on this, as trying to guess what is supported and what is not, without a manual, hinders productivity.

And remember you can convert from Python to RPN using my https://pyrpn.herokuapp.com/ - though I don't think the French students will be buying DM42's and bothering with that process!

And for those interested in what's going in calculation re Python on Desktops/Laptops, Jupyter notebooks are becoming insanely popular in data science, and most of them are Python based - though other powerful languages are now supported. Here are some examples of such notebooks, which are similar to Mathematica notebooks, but free. I'm actually working on some 'softmenu' buttons and other widgets for use in Jupyter notebooks, so that they are more HP calculator like. :-)
05-09-2018, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 03:29 AM by toml_12953.)
(05-09-2018 12:17 AM)Helix Wrote:  
(05-08-2018 02:45 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I wonder if the fx-CG50 can do Python as well since the 90+E is supposed to be the French version.

Probably not. Python is recommended in the new French school programs, so maybe there will be a specific firmware for the 90+E, as there is already a specific firmware for the Australian FX-CG50AU.
As far as I know, Casio communicates about Python only in French.

I should be able to load the 90+E firmware onto the CG-50, no? If so, I'll do that since reading French is no problem for me. If the menus and prompts are in French or English, cela ne fait aucune différence pour moi. OK, so I don't write it very well but I can still read it! Smile

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Since I own fx-cg50 bought in Germany I have to wait till september 2018. We will see.
05-10-2018, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 12:13 AM by Helix.)
(05-09-2018 03:28 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I should be able to load the 90+E firmware onto the CG-50, no? If so, I'll do that since reading French is no problem for me. If the menus and prompts are in French or English, cela ne fait aucune différence pour moi. OK, so I don't write it very well but I can still read it! Smile

I'm afraid the answer is no. I've looked at the download area on the Casio website, and there is only one firmware available for the "fx-CG50 series". The site says:
"applies to the following models:
fx-CG50
GRAPH90+E
fx-CG50 AU"
That would mean that the user cannot choose the firmware.

EDIT : Read the question asked by parrotgeek1, and the answer given by critor here.

I would like to be sure however, because I could be interested in this calculator, but I would prefer the black case of the fx-CG50. On the Graph 90+E, the orange labels on the white background seem to have poor contrast. Sad

Jean-Charles
05-10-2018, 01:46 AM
(05-10-2018 12:01 AM)Helix Wrote:  
(05-09-2018 03:28 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I should be able to load the 90+E firmware onto the CG-50, no? If so, I'll do that since reading French is no problem for me. If the menus and prompts are in French or English, cela ne fait aucune différence pour moi. OK, so I don't write it very well but I can still read it! Smile

I'm afraid the answer is no. I've looked at the download area on the Casio website, and there is only one firmware available for the "fx-CG50 series". The site says:
fx-CG50
GRAPH90+E
fx-CG50 AU"

The above means the answer is YES, they DO use the same firmware. So the CG50 will run Python as well.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-10-2018, 09:39 AM
(05-10-2018 01:46 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(05-10-2018 12:01 AM)Helix Wrote:  I'm afraid the answer is no. I've looked at the download area on the Casio website, and there is only one firmware available for the "fx-CG50 series". The site says:
fx-CG50
GRAPH90+E
fx-CG50 AU"

The above means the answer is YES, they DO use the same firmware. So the CG50 will run Python as well.

It is clear that the GRAPH 90+E is the French version of the international fx-CG50.

If we try to download the GRAPH 90+E software update v3.11, CASIO redirects to the same download binary used for the fx-CG50.

So, both sports the same internal hardware components, and currently are loading the firmware OS from exactly the same software update binary EXE 19MByte file.

However, the international and French models sports different interface languages to chose from.
For instance, the French version lists French (obviously) and Spanish, among others, but no English.

So, despite using the same binary EXE file to do the software update, each model loads different firmware components.

In good Casio tradition, I would not be surprised to see a hardware jumpers/resistors configuration in the PCB to distinguish between each different model.
Folks have been converting lesser featured Casio models to the top versions by just changing those jumpers in other past models.

As I see it, the Python feature is just another App to be added and later loaded from the 32MByte Flash ROM used on both model versions.
Technically I see no reason why this App can't be loaded into the international model as well.

If Casio will not do it, I'm quite sure some folks at Casio specialized forums will do it.
It is a matter of time.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Python is getting real popular with calculators. Will it replace (versions of) BASIC in future calculators?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2018, 02:55 PM
(05-10-2018 01:52 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Python is getting real popular with calculators. Will it replace (versions of) BASIC in future calculators?

Since each calculator uses a bastardized version of BASIC and not a real, standard implementation, I'd welcome a full Python as long as it was implemented the same on various machines.

Remember the state of microcomputers back in the '70's? Each manufacturer did their own thing. Generally you couldn't use software written for a TRS-80 with any other brand and you couldn't run Apple software on an IMSAI, etc. Now that PCs are virtually a commodity, we all benefit from the stability (some would call it stagnation!).

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Hi all!
I am quite excited about the Python menu on the Casio Graph+E, I hope it's implemented in the CG50!

I was about to buy the Numworks just for the Python option (for my Computing Degree studies too, I need a scientific calculator but for the moment I bought a Classwiz fx-991EX) but trying the Numworks emulator I could see than Python is a kind of MicroPython emulator with lots of bugs.
So... I use my Classwiz for now and it is perfect for what I am studying but my heart just want to buy the CG50!

The question is:
Should I wait till September to see if Python is included in the CG50 too? In case you think I should wait: WHY? Give me a good reason to hold my money in my pocket!! Big Grin

Also, is there any good mobile Python device to program on the go?
I made a device with Raspberry Pi and Lego but the screen resolution sucks (The size(5") is not bad, tough) and it's difficult to find good 5 inch screens not too expensive

Cheers!
05-11-2018, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 04:12 PM by toml_12953.)
(05-10-2018 10:05 PM)severedgarden Wrote:  The question is:
Should I wait till September to see if Python is included in the CG50 too? In case you think I should wait: WHY? Give me a good reason to hold my money in my pocket!! Big Grin

Also, is there any good mobile Python device to program on the go?

Cheers!

I use a TI-Nspire with Ndless installed on it. Ndless is needed to run a full MicroPython implementation without the limitations of the NumWorks version (I have that, too) MicroPython works great and is a large enough subset of full Python as to be fully usable and upward compatible.

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-11-2018, 07:02 PM
(05-10-2018 01:52 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Python is getting real popular with calculators. Will it replace (versions of) BASIC in future calculators?

I sure hope so. I really wish HP had used python for the Prime.
05-11-2018, 07:04 PM
That's a good point, Tom L.
Thanks for the Nspire info.
My concern about that calculator is that it's a not too modern model, I like the Casio because I like the brand and it's a new product, so (maybe just in my head) it means modern components, longer life, optimized and improved performance.
So, as you have the Numworks and the Nspire, which model do you recommend?
Also, do you have the CG50? If you do, how does it feel? I have the new Casio Classwiz and the buttons feel a bit flimsy (it's normal as it is a £20 calculator!)

Too many questions, I know! Smile
Thanks!
05-12-2018, 07:17 PM
(05-11-2018 07:04 PM)severedgarden Wrote:  That's a good point, Tom L.
Thanks for the Nspire info.
My concern about that calculator is that it's a not too modern model, I like the Casio because I like the brand and it's a new product, so (maybe just in my head) it means modern components, longer life, optimized and improved performance.

Welcome aboard!

The TI Nspire CX will have had some hardware revisions over the years since its release (my CX CAS is a revision T from January 2015), but no real change in specs.

The fx-CG50 may be "brand new", but it's very similar to the earlier CG10/CG20 model, but with a faster CPU. (There are some changes to the address layout, which broke a lot of third party applications that assumed the frame buffer was at a particular address, etc.)

Quote:So, as you have the Numworks and the Nspire, which model do you recommend?

You addressed that to Tom and I don't know which he'd recommend. I don't have a Numworks, but I've played with one and used the emulator (and even contributed some patches on Github). The colour scheme on the keyboard is its worst feature - very hard on my aging eyes - I even raised that as an issue on Github! Also, the software is still a bit immature. The answers it spits out are nowhere near as good as they could be. But it's still being improved. They have their own programming team, plus free help from the community! (Insert dig at SwissMicros here.) So between the Numworks and the TI Nspire CX, I'd currently go for the Nspire unless price and physical size are also important, in which case the Numworks gains a few more points.

Quote:Also, do you have the CG50? If you do, how does it feel? I have the new Casio Classwiz and the buttons feel a bit flimsy (it's normal as it is a £20 calculator!)

I have the fx-991EX Classwiz and the fx-CG50, The buttons on the CG50 are basically scaled up versions of the ones on the Classwiz. They need slightly more force to actuate because they are bigger, and have about the same level of clickiness, i.e. none at all!

Quote:Too many questions, I know! Smile
Thanks!

Have you considered the HP Prime? It's quite reasonably priced on Amazon UK at the moment. You can't program it in Python though. It's built in HP Prime Programming Language (HP PPL for short) isn't object-oriented at all. It's loosely similar to Pascal or Modula-2 but not strongly typed and missing things like structured data types beyond the built-in types such as matrices/vectors and lists. I'm planning to buy one soon anyway!
05-12-2018, 08:39 PM
(05-11-2018 07:04 PM)severedgarden Wrote:  So, as you have the Numworks and the Nspire, which model do you recommend?

I hate the document model of the TI but the Numworks Python is so buggy as to be unusable for me so I'd grudgingly give the nod to the TI.

(05-11-2018 07:04 PM)severedgarden Wrote:  Also, do you have the CG50? If you do, how does it feel?
I don't have one (yet) but when they get Python running on it, I'll be there!

(05-11-2018 07:04 PM)severedgarden Wrote:  Too many questions, I know! Smile

There's no such thing! That's what this forum is all about - people helping people. I'm glad to contribute in my small way.
Pax!

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Looks like I jumped the gun - OS update with Python environment available only after French return to school 2018.

I now have a unit - keyboard markings are in exceptionally bad choice of colours, egg-yellow on grey background almost unreadable.
05-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Hi again!
After a few days thinking about the HP Prime, TI Nspire and the Casio, finally I got the new Casio fx CG50 (equivalent to the Graph 90+e as you all know).
It was on offer for £89.99 so, although the Prime was really tempting me it was the price factor what made me take the decision.

I am really happy with it, learning the basics of Casio BASIC till they release Python on September (hopefully, let's see).

It's a bit bulky but it feels great in your hands.
I was using it during the whole weekend for my Maths University lessons and, well, it's impressive.
I also tried add-ins and games on it, it's great to play Game Boy games while commuting Smile

So, thank you very much for your advises, toml_12953 and ijabbott (and the rest of the users for the info in the thread!)

If any of you have any questions about the calculator feel free to ask, I have very little Maths knowledge but I will try to help Smile

Cheers!
05-27-2018, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure what's up with Casio's pricing at the moment, but on Amazon.co.uk, a Casio fx-CG50 is almost the same price (within a couple of quid) as a HP Prime. I think I know which I'd rather have for that price (although I already have a CG50).

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)