HP50G USB drivers - Win10 64bit errors
04-26-2018, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2018 02:52 PM by Stevetuc.)
HP50G USB drivers - Win10 64bit errors
I managed to load the win7 64 bit drivers from here:
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/sel...or/3235173
by turning off driver enforcing in Win10

However, when I attach HP50G, I get "USB device not recognised"

In Device Manager, I see Unknown USB Device(Device Descriptor Request Failed)
and clicking on that the device status shows that Windows has stopped the device because its reported problems (code 43)

Due to above, clicking on Driver Details says that no driver files are loaded or required for this device.

In case its relevant, I'm running Win10 64bit under Bootcamp

Any ideas how I can fix this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2018, 03:26 PM
RE: HP50G USB drivers - Win10 64bit errors
I believe there was a discussion of this problem late last year with a detailed explanation by Tim Wessman on the reason behind it. The conclusion I recall is that the issue was not going to be resolved. You can still use an SD card to transfer programs to the 50g (not much help, I know, if you don't have one of those old cards at hand).

Have a look back in the forums for details,
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
04-26-2018, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2018 04:03 PM by Stevetuc.)
I searched on “hp50g usb” and found posts from 2015 relating to drivers being unsigned and requiring driver signing enforcement to be turned off, and Tim’s explanation.

But this isn’t the problem I’m experiencing, I can install the drivers but I get a failure which causes windows to stop the device.

I haven’t seen this reported. So a general question, has anyone got the drivers working in win10 64bit?

I don’t have access to pre sdhc cards so I’m a bit stuck. I’d like to install newrpl but the above problems are a roadblock!
04-26-2018, 04:22 PM
(04-26-2018 04:00 PM)Stevetuc Wrote:  I searched on “hp50g usb” and found posts from 2015 relating to drivers being unsigned and requiring driver signing enforcement to be turned off, and Tim’s explanation.

But this isn’t the problem I’m experiencing, I can install the drivers but I get a failure which causes windows to stop the device.

I haven’t seen this reported. So a general question, has anyone got the drivers working in win10 64bit?
I did. Can't recall doing anything special, though. It was a few months ago, was working on the USB comms of newRPL and used the old 50g firmware to see if I could communicate with it. The drivers worked fine, I was able to see and detect the device without problems. I was also able to upgrade the firmware with the connectivity kit, under Windows 10 (before the Creators update).

Things you can try:
Blow air with a duster on the USB connectors (all 4 of them! (PC+cable 1 end+cable other end+calc).
Try a different USB port, Windows will reinstall the driver for the second port, so it might fix whatever went wrong.
And finally: just get an SD card, I've seen 2 GB cards available, even microSD with adapter should work fine.
04-26-2018, 04:29 PM
(04-26-2018 02:40 PM)Stevetuc Wrote:  In Device Manager, I see Unknown USB Device(Device Descriptor Request Failed)
and clicking on that the device status shows that Windows has stopped the device because its reported problems (code 43)

The device descriptor is requested long before the OS knows what device it is (and therefore which drivers to load). Your problem is a communications problem, either the connectors or the cable.
On top of the air duster, try replacing the cable.
04-27-2018, 06:29 AM
(04-26-2018 04:29 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(04-26-2018 02:40 PM)Stevetuc Wrote:  In Device Manager, I see Unknown USB Device(Device Descriptor Request Failed)

The device descriptor is requested long before the OS knows what device it is (and therefore which drivers to load). Your problem is a communications problem, either the connectors or the cable.
On top of the air duster, try replacing the cable.

Thanks, it was the lead. Im new to the HP50G , having just purchased it secondhand from TAS. I assumed the cable was good(!), and that running the drivers under win10 was the issue. With new cable, all is good Smile
04-27-2018, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 11:30 AM by Martin Hepperle.)
(04-27-2018 06:29 AM)Stevetuc Wrote:  Thanks, it was the lead. Im new to the HP50G , having just purchased it secondhand from TAS. I assumed the cable was good(!), and that running the drivers under win10 was the issue. With new cable, all is good Smile
Some background information:
When you buy an USB cable today, you have to pay attention whether it is a "data" cable or a "charger cable".
In the beginning all USB cables were "data" capable - they carried 4 wires (2 for data and two for power). Since then many USB cables are used only for charging of mobile phones and therefore you can now buy a "charger" cable with the two power wires only. Two wires less reduces costs of the cable part by 50% (for the manufacturer) but without the data lines it is difficult to communicate... Best apply some marking to your cables if you have both types.

Martin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)