Call for Beta Testing Applications
04-07-2014, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 07:47 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Call for Beta Testing Applications
Periodically, the HP calculator group will ask for applications from individuals interested in beta testing projects. We ask for some information in order to generate the best cross section of users to hopefully catch as many issues as possible before a release. I can't select everyone, and not everyone is interested in each type of product.

If you are interested in any however, please download a form and send it to me. Email is probably best. timwessman is my name, and I am at hp.com
(this is your entrance exam - you must figure out the correct email address... Smile )

This is the preferred format which is a PDF form allowing direct typing.
[attachment=452]

Note that it can often be weeks or months before anything is done with applications. Not hearing back quickly is normal!

While we don’t expect anyone to devote an unreasonable amount of your time, those that consistently find issues, perform tasks and generally contribute quite a bit are usually asked to continue as beta testers long term.

Sometimes, there are things you may not find extremely enjoyable to work on (for example, a non RPN machine or similar), but we may ask you to assist. Again, those that are willing to focus on specific areas or tasks are usually asked to continue testing in the future when the more exciting projects are around.

You are allowed to focus on specific areas of interest, but we ask that you don’t exclusively focus on areas of interest. There are always “boring” areas of products that need thorough testing as well.

In short, those that have positive attitudes and contribute get to continue for as long as you are willing to share some of your time. If you are fun to work with, we want to continue working with you!

As a beta tester, you will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement/non-disclosure agreement before any paticipation. We ask that you do not discuss in outside locations, post images or hints anywhere or discuss with people not involved in the testing. As far as I can tell, there has never been unauthorized leaks which means we can continue to trust the community as a whole.

If you are sent materials/units, we are also required to have you sign a form that basically states “HP is not responsible if this device destroys the universe and HP may request the units back at any time.”

Beta testing is a lot of fun! It is always exciting to have behind-the-scenes knowledge about what is ongoing, and to have a part in shaping the way products are formed, and to be involved in something for which we all feel passion. Often those involved in beta testing come up with new ideas that later appear in products, have keyboard layouts or product ideas discussed for feedback, and generally get to be involved with the calculators we love.

The download at the top is a PDF form allowing you to type directly and is the easiest format. If you'd prefer the odt or docx version however, they can be downloaded as well.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2014, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 05:34 PM by eried.)
RE: Call for Beta Testing Applications
Does testing involves loading something (firmware?) in our own calculator?

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Do you keep the forms users have sent you or do they have to fill them out again?
04-07-2014, 07:02 PM
If it has been a long time since you filled one out in the past, doing it again would probably be helpful. It will definitely cause it to "float to the top" of the pile that way.

TW

04-08-2014, 11:37 PM
(04-07-2014 05:33 PM)eried Wrote:  Does testing involves loading something (firmware?) in our own calculator?
Without breaking a secret, beta testing involve making sure that hardware behave the same as emulator or vice versa. This imply to load new beta firmware in the hardware.

what I like as a beta tester:
  • My name is in the calc Smile
  • You are very close to the D&R team. you know that your requests go strait to the right person.
  • Sometimes, you get involved in how this or that feature should behave. This lead to great exchanges with R&D team and other beta testers.
  • Sometimes, a reported bug can be fixed within a couple days since you don't wait for official release.
  • Sometimes, when I complain about something and don't get feedback, I can even "vociferate" that I am unhappy Smile Sometimes it works, sometimes is don't Smile
  • In short, it is a great experience for me.

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
04-08-2014, 11:59 PM
hehehe cool, thanks.

My question was more about related to the problems if I ever have to receive something. DHL/UPS/Fedex got really greedy in here, I don't have any issue with lots of packages thru USPS (...excepting beef jerky U_U ) but these other guys love to charge +100% more of usual custom taxes.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
08-22-2014, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 03:54 PM by Tim Wessman.)
Just bumping this up to the top again. If you'd already sent me one from before - don't worry - I still have it.

TW

08-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Hi Tim,

Do you want mr to fill a form?

Patrice
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Albert Einstein
09-15-2015, 09:07 PM
Bump! (again)

If you've sent me something in the past and were not selected, please send me an email and let me know you're still interested. You can send another form if you want, but note that usually won't be necessary. I probably still have them filed away.

I'd like to expand our group again. Please see top message for details and a form if needed.

TW

09-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Well, the first hurdle I am facing is how to fill in the PDF.

Android's QuickOffice let's me read the PDF and shows a number in every entry field, but doesn't seem to let me type anything in. And it doesn't understand ZIPs, so that rules out the other formats.

BTW when it asks what I wish to test, should I limit the answer to the equipment I have (the Android emulator) or indicate that I'd be happy to test the real calculator too (if HP or Santa send me one :-)).

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
09-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Feel free to mark what you'd like. Some people for example might have "differences" with apple and refuse to ever touch anything remotely related. :-)

It was a while since I made that pdf, but it should have allowed you to fill things in. If you have trouble, there is a .doc and .odt at the bottom as well.

TW

04-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Bump! (again, again)

If you've sent me something in the past and were not selected, please send me an email and let me know you're still interested. You can send another form if you want, but note that usually won't be necessary. I probably still have it filed away.

TW

04-21-2016, 04:16 PM
(04-14-2016 07:30 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Bump! (again, again)

If you've sent me something in the past and were not selected, please send me an email and let me know you're still interested. You can send another form if you want, but note that usually won't be necessary. I probably still have it filed away.

Tim, I've not send anything till now; could I still participate?
I've not so much time to spend but that I have I could try helping...

Salvo

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
04-21-2016, 04:31 PM
This form is basically acceptable at any time. Note that I usually try to add people in groups, but people who seem really enthusiastic might get added individually.

In fact, I will probably prepare a "permanent" post and ask if the mods will make it a sticky at the top (provided they are amenable).

TW

04-21-2016, 04:33 PM
(04-21-2016 04:31 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  This form is basically acceptable at any time. Note that I usually try to add people in groups, but people who seem really enthusiastic might get added individually.

In fact, I will probably prepare a "permanent" post and ask if the mods will make it a sticky at the top (provided they are amenable).

ok, I'm sending the application file, thank you

salvo

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)