GDW-Modern Free42 skin (iPhone 5,SE,6 etc) - updated
05-01-2018, 01:44 AM
RE: GDW-Modern Free42 skin (iPhone 5,SE,6 etc) - updated
(04-30-2018 05:11 PM)burkhard Wrote:  I like the colors fine right now; no need to do anything custom, although I appreciate the kind offer.

No worries. I'm glad you find the skin useful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2018, 01:47 AM
Sure thing. It's an iphone 6s. The display is 1920x1080.

From wiki: Retina HD: LED-backlit IPS LCD 1920×1080 (401 ppi) (158 px/cm) pixel density, 16:9 aspect ratio.

Link: screen shot
05-01-2018, 04:12 AM
(04-28-2018 02:07 AM)Graham D. Wilson Wrote:  Thomas could do it I'm sure, but I think he has said there will be no more improvements to Free42, only bug fixes from now on -- I may be wrong on that and on my opinion that there's no way to improve the display without programming.

"No more improvements" (orher than bug fixes) is the plan, yes, but the iPhone UI does still need some work. I have to implement support for the iPhone X, and while I do that, I'll see if I can also add support for non-integral scaling. On early iOS, that was either not supported or the result looked awful, I can't remember which, but it's been many years and many iOS updates since then, so this deserves another look, if nothing else.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2018, 06:58 AM
(04-30-2018 05:22 PM)Gene Wrote:  Question: The new skus I downloaded look great and are the retina versions.

However, they are not taking up the entire screen. Any retina quality skin out there that fills the screen with the image?

That would require full-screen support in Free42, i.e. a special mode that hides the status bar. The current Free42 iOS UI code is a mess -- if a real iOS developer were to look at it and exclaim "this guy doesn't know what he's doing!" they would be right -- but if I can figure out the "storyboard" way of building iOS UIs, then probably status bar hiding wouldn't be too difficult to add, along with iPhone X support.
05-02-2018, 03:19 AM
(05-01-2018 06:58 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  That would require full-screen support in Free42, i.e. a special mode that hides the status bar.

(04-30-2018 05:22 PM)Gene Wrote:  However, they are not taking up the entire screen. Any retina quality skin out there that fills the screen with the image?

After working a little with Gene, it appears that these skins, designed for a minimum resolution of an iPhone 5's 4-inch high-res screen, will work with and fill the screen of all later iPhones (except for the status bar at the top, which doesn't bother me). Please let me know if you find this untrue.

(05-01-2018 04:12 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I'll see if I can also add support for non-integral scaling. On early iOS, that was either not supported or the result looked awful, I can't remember which, but it's been many years and many iOS updates since then, so this deserves another look, if nothing else.

Thanks Thomas, it would be great if you could incorporate non-integral scaling.
05-09-2018, 03:05 AM
Using the http server I was able to upload from my iPad to my iPhone and vice versa (though it was a it tricky, I used GoodReader to unzip and put on iCloud Drive), though it took me a while to find the download link on the web site (apparently they want it to be as obscure as possible).

Unfortunately the new skins don’t work on iPad, nor does the standard skin, only the Standard 4” works since the app doesn’t really support the iPad.
05-10-2018, 04:57 AM
(05-09-2018 03:05 AM)NetMage Wrote:  Unfortunately the new skins don’t work on iPad, nor does the standard skin, only the Standard 4” works since the app doesn’t really support the iPad.

Thanks for the info. Sorry, I don't use an iPad so didn't think about designing the skins to work on anything but an iPhone.
05-11-2018, 05:02 AM
(05-09-2018 03:05 AM)NetMage Wrote:  Using the http server I was able to upload from my iPad to my iPhone and vice versa (though it was a it tricky, I used GoodReader to unzip and put on iCloud Drive), though it took me a while to find the download link on the web site (apparently they want it to be as obscure as possible).

Unfortunately the new skins don’t work on iPad, nor does the standard skin, only the Standard 4” works since the app doesn’t really support the iPad.

What's the problem on the iPad? If the Standard 4" skin works, then so should GDW-modern, at least if I understand correctly that it's designed for the same screen size. Or did you mean only the Standard (non-4") skin works?
05-11-2018, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 06:08 AM by NetMage.)
Actually I spoke too soon, both Standard and Standard-4” work, I was just surprised Standard had no chrome.

These (GDW) skins are cut off at the bottom on the iPad, which runs the app in iPhone emulation mode. I have the 10.5” iPad Pro.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-11-2018, 08:30 AM
(05-11-2018 06:05 AM)NetMage Wrote:  Actually I spoke too soon, both Standard and Standard-4” work, I was just surprised Standard had no chrome.

These (GDW) skins are cut off at the bottom on the iPad, which runs the app in iPhone emulation mode. I have the 10.5” iPad Pro.

Is there a setting that changes the aspect ratio of the iPad's iPhone emulation? The h:w ratio should be 16:9 to match the iPhone. The iPad's native aspect ratio is 4:3, which is why the bottom of the graphic is cut off.
05-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Welcome back Thomas!

--Bob Prosperi
05-11-2018, 03:24 PM
(05-11-2018 12:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Welcome back Thomas!

Yes ^^^ Welcome back.
05-16-2018, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2018 02:36 AM by NetMage.)
Apparently the iPad runs iPhone apps at 4s resolution, which is 3:2 ratio.
A (much) more careful view shows the bottom of the 4” skin is cut off - the ON label isn’t visible.
05-16-2018, 06:13 AM
(05-16-2018 02:32 AM)NetMage Wrote:  Apparently the iPad runs iPhone apps at 4s resolution, which is 3:2 ratio.
A (much) more careful view shows the bottom of the 4” skin is cut off - the ON label isn’t visible.

Some investigation reveals that Free42 needs to be designed as "universal app", which it is not. At present, Free42 is an an iPhone app. This is why it cannot detect your iPad's screen dimensions, and instead defaults to the iPhone 4's width and height.

If you would like me to, I can rework the skins for the iPhone 4 (and iPad), but I'll have to ask you to test them for me.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)