Got a new Prime today
04-08-2018, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2018 08:45 PM by smp.)
Got a new Prime today
I spent an afternoon this past week getting a program to run on my Prime. As usual, I was using the Connectivity Kit, but I also spent some time on the calculator when I was thinking that the error was probably minor and easily fixed. During that session, my frustration with the too-pale-for-my-old-eyes orange & blue labeling finally got the better of me. I started nosing around for one of the "new" Primes with the better-for-my-old-eyes higher contrast labeling.

I found what seemed to be hundreds of Seller offers on TAS, but, try as I might, I could not discern if it was a "guarantee" that I would get the new version C Prime. I also found Sellers on Amazon, but again, I couldn't know for sure if I would receive the new version C Prime for my purchase.

This morning, it dawned on me that a nearby Target or Best Buy might have the Prime. It turns out not Target, but Best Buy does carry the Prime. I pulled up the item in the Best Buy online site, and I saw that their price was pretty much what I could get on TAS for brand new. I called the nearby store and queried the SKU and found they had a few in stock. I went back online and ordered one, with pickup in my nearby store.

An hour later, I got the message that my item was ready for pickup at the store. I drove over and anxiously provided my ID and my message with the order number. When the nice lady got my package out of the closet, I asked to see it, and YES, it was the new version C calculator.

It took me almost 15 minutes to wrestle the calculator and its accessories out of the plastic package without risking damage to anything... Sigh.

I powered it up and plugged it onto my existing cable and into my Mac, called up the Connectivity Kit, and, once again everything went flawlessly. The CK asked me to upgrade, and I did. I set the few settings that I needed to and I pulled my several programs out of storage and into the new Prime. A quick run through the programs showed that everything is as it should be.

I am SO happy! I can read these keys much, much easier. This is excellent. Maybe now I'll reach more for the Prime, rather than my 41CL to do some of the quick stuff. And, maybe now I can get more into programming the Prime.

Thanks for listening!

smp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2018, 08:55 PM
RE: Got a new Prime today
Just how more readable is it ?

You’re in a prime (Big Grin ) position to be able to show the differences with photo’s as I can’t seem to see it via google
04-08-2018, 09:20 PM
You can see the difference here
Arno
04-08-2018, 09:24 PM
(04-08-2018 08:55 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  Just how more readable is it ?

You’re in a prime (Big Grin ) position to be able to show the differences with photo’s as I can’t seem to see it via google

Didier posted two comparison photos a year ago:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-808...l#pid69290

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Oh cool, thanks
04-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Thanks very much for helping me out with those pointers, guys.

I was assuming that everyone would already know what I am talking about.

<insert embarrassed grin here>

smp
04-08-2018, 09:45 PM
(04-08-2018 09:40 PM)smp Wrote:  Thanks very much for helping me out with those pointers, guys.

I was assuming that everyone would already know what I am talking about.

<insert embarrassed grin here>

smp

I came to realise they’d changed it , because of early complaints , but I’d never seen one , I got a very early one ..... and it languishes
04-08-2018, 10:04 PM
(04-08-2018 09:45 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  I came to realise they’d changed it , because of early complaints , but I’d never seen one , I got a very early one ..... and it languishes

You know, IMO it took HP a long time to address the issue. IIRC the Prime was introduced in the fall of 2013. The new keyboard was shown in the fall of 2016. That's 3 years.

I purchased my Prime in the spring of 2015. That was enough time to get the version C that supports wireless and all, but I put up with the difficult to read keyboard for far too long after the new keyboard became available because I'm stingy and I didn't want to spend money to get the exact same calculator, save some bits of plastic and paint. What a fool I was!

I'll put my older Prime up on TAS for a bit of a bargain, with a full confession of why I'm offering it. That way, maybe I can recoup a bit of the expense. However, even without that recoupment, I am really, really happy with this new Prime.

Don't let yours languish! Upgrade! 8-)

smp
04-08-2018, 10:56 PM
(04-08-2018 10:04 PM)smp Wrote:  Don't let yours languish! Upgrade! 8-)

I'm currently seeing myself buying several DM machines in the near future....

The only thing I'm upgrading on the prime is the firmware as it's still on the very early version. Big Grin
04-10-2018, 02:31 AM
I saw one of the newer ones out at my Best Buy. Mine works great but that easier to read layout has tempted me a few times. I'm in my sixties and am no longer the eagle eye I used to be.
04-10-2018, 12:49 PM
(04-10-2018 02:31 AM)harryp Wrote:  I saw one of the newer ones out at my Best Buy. Mine works great but that easier to read layout has tempted me a few times. I'm in my sixties and am no longer the eagle eye I used to be.

Bingo! That's exactly what I am talking about. I spent yesterday afternoon going over a program with my new Prime attached to the CK, but doing a bunch of editing right on the Prime to assist with debugging and narrowing down the problem area. The much-more-readable keypad was great. A huge improvement for me.

smp
04-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Hi smp!
Can you post a picture of your new Prime...
Marcel
04-10-2018, 03:48 PM
(04-10-2018 03:13 PM)Marcel Wrote:  Hi smp!
Can you post a picture of your new Prime...
Marcel

Hi Marcel,

It looks just like what is shown in these links:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-691...oard+color
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-808...l#pid69290

smp
04-10-2018, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 04:36 PM by Marcel.)
Hi smp!
I know but it is always fun to look at a new picture!
I look everywhere and I don't have a picture of the new one except the two on this forum...
Marcel
04-10-2018, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 07:36 PM by toml_12953.)
(04-10-2018 04:34 PM)Marcel Wrote:  Hi smp!
I know but it is always fun to look at a new picture!
I look everywhere and I don't have a picture of the new one except the two on this forum...
Marcel

Here's an old one and a new one of mine next to each other

[Image: Old%20Prime%20vs.%20New.JPG?raw=1]

Tom L
Cui bono?
04-10-2018, 09:35 PM
(04-10-2018 07:26 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Here's an old one and a new one of mine next to each other...

Thanks very much for helping me out with the photos, Tom.

smp
04-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Hi smp!
Thank you for this one...
Marcel
04-11-2018, 09:54 PM
I went to Best Buys as well, saw the last newest HP Prime (as in the last one in the rack), and grabbed it. I had the original issue one with the Miami Vice color pattern and the neutered wireless capability. The colors were a big deal, it wasn't getting much use because if it.
04-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Congratulations, I hope I can get one someday soon.
Thanks for the ideas of shopping at best buy, and looking for the new brighter keyboard.

Thanks
~~~~8< Art >8~~~~

PS: Please post more 50G stuff :)
04-20-2018, 02:57 PM
(04-20-2018 12:34 PM)moonbeam Wrote:  I succumbed to temptation and got myself a new Prime. Seeing the old and new one side by side is a difference like night and day.

Now what to do with the spare Prime? Donate it to the nearby high school, sell it on ebay, keep it in my backpack (it's a running joke in the family that I feel underdressed if I leave the house without a physical graphing calculator), or keep it around until there's a WP-PrimeS...

When NewRPL for Prime is available, you could install it on the older Prime to test it before committing your newer one.

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)