LIFUTILS 1.7.8 and pyILPER 1.7.2 beta release
08-07-2018, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 06:34 AM by jsi.)
LIFUTILS 1.7.8 and pyILPER 1.7.2 beta release
I published a beta version of the LIFUTILS 1.7.8 and pyILPER 1.7.2 on GitHub.

pyILPER got some bug fixes and two new features:
  • User defined keyboard shortcuts
  • Tagging of scope log files

See this post and the updated manual for details.

The LIFUTILS got a comprehensive tutorial and the existing documentation was checked and updated. I hope that this will gain a better access to the software.

I did tests with reading and writing HP9114 compatible floppy disks with the LIFUTILS, wich is only supported for LINUX. It proved that the results highly depend on the capabilities of the floppy drive and controller of the LINUX system.

Many thanks to Dave Frederickson and Craig Bladow in supporting the tests.

The command-q issue on Mac OS reported by Sylvain Cote could not be fixed because it seems to be an internal problem with QT. Using native menus in pyILPER solves this problem but introduces other more serious issues.

I would be very happy if you could give the beta versions a try. Installation kits are provided for the LIFUTILS.

To install the beta of pyILPER 1.7.2 :
  • download the source code zip file pyilper-1.7.2b2.zip from the assets section of the beta on the release page
  • unzip that file in an arbitrary directory
  • run the beta version with
Code:
python pyilper-1.7.2b2\start.py
(Windows) or
Code:
python pyilper-1.7.2b2/start.py
(Linux or Mac OS).

If you get the error message "This script requires Python 3.4 or newer!" use python3 instead.

The beta version uses an other set of configuration files. Therefore it does not affect your production version.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2018, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2018 08:54 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: LIFUTILS 1.7.8 and pyILPER 1.7.2 beta release
The link for pyILPER 1.7.2 beta is a duplicate of the LIFUTILS url.

Navigating to the root of the pyILPER tree does not reveal the 1.7.2 beta version, at least not that I can see, though I'm not all that git-aware.

Edit: Found it: https://github.com/bug400/pyilper/releases/tag/v1.7.2b1, though neither the master.zip install file nor the individual install packages (e.g. for Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.) are visible on this page.

--Bob Prosperi
08-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Thank you for the tip. I revised the link and extended the documentation for the installation of the pyILPER beta version.
08-07-2018, 10:32 PM
(08-07-2018 09:21 PM)jsi Wrote:  Thank you for the tip. I revised the link and extended the documentation for the installation of the pyILPER beta version.

I still am not sure how to install the beta. The docs (at the link you provided: https://github.com/bug400/pyilper/blob/m...t-versions) say "Download the pyilper-master.zip file from GitHub front page..." but this file is not visible at the updated address, which seems to be essentially the same as the page I found, and has links only for the source code (v1.7.2b1.zip) or tar file, but the master.zip file isn't listed.

Is the source code zip the same as the master.zip ?

--Bob Prosperi
08-08-2018, 05:30 AM
I see ... it was necessary to describe the installation more precisely. The post was updated.
08-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the additional notes, with this hint, setup took 30 seconds.

It seems the beta version inherits the configuration info from the already-installed version, a nice touch to make getting going quick.

I've only done some brief driving around, and so far no issues to report.

Some very minor things to note, NOT from this new version, I simply never reported in the past.

1. The help screen for the Print device window does not include the 'paper' color scheme, included late in the last version.

2. Is there a way to map the [f] and [g] keys to PC keyboard keys? I have many key assignments I use regularly (mostly to save keystrokes) but they aren't available (or I have not found them in the s/w or docs).

If they can be added, I suggest [F8] and [F9] respectively (as they are easier to hit than 7 & 8). A brief look at the supported Escape codes doesn't help, else one could simply modified the PILTERM program.

And once again, thanks for these upgrades, I will report any issues I find.

--Bob Prosperi
08-09-2018, 05:44 AM
Thank you for feedback.
(08-08-2018 04:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  1. The help screen for the Print device window does not include the 'paper' color scheme, included late in the last version.
I will put it on the backlog for the production release.

(08-08-2018 04:38 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  2. Is there a way to map the [f] and [g] keys to PC keyboard keys? I have many key assignments I use regularly (mostly to save keystrokes) but they aren't available (or I have not found them in the s/w or docs).
The KEYBOARD lex file uses HP-71 key numbers to map escape sequences sent by pyILPER to HP-71 keyboard input. There is not key code for the "f" and "g" modifier keys (see the "DEF KEY" entry in the HP-71 Reference Manual). Instead the primary keys (without modifier), the f-shift and the g-shift modified keys have their own range of keyboard numbers. So there is no way to map the modifier keys to a terminal emulator key.
08-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Joachim.

In reading that section on the manual yesterday I did see the codes for the f- and g- prefixed keys, so I will explore making custom key bindings for my most commonly used key assignments, such as:
[f][P] for ":PORT()"
[f][T] for ":TAPE()"
etc. though I recall only seeing [g]- shifted items (e.g. for lower case).

Thanks for these comments and I'll report on results; if it works it may be helpful to other 71b/pyILPER users.

--Bob Prosperi
08-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Hmmmm... less obvious than I guessed.

What is the logic/layout of the ESCAPE sequences you use in the terminal emulation? Is it something 'standard' such as a VT-100, though of course as adopted for PC keyboard?

For example F1= ESC 'L', F2= ESC 'M', F3= ESC 'N', F4= ESC 'P', so it looks like a logical sequence so far, but then F5= ESC 'I' and F6= ESC 'O'.

Are F7-F12 defined/available and if so, how are they mapped?

Many (but not all) [g]- key sequences are allowed since these are actually defined as part of the 71b character set, but [f]- key sequences are not, as these are apparently handled in some special way related to USER mode.

Also [f] and [g] are obviously key id numbers 44 and 45 respectively, even if not shown, but it seems these cannot be fed into the key buffer, as is indicated in the manual/qrg.

--Bob Prosperi
08-10-2018, 06:33 AM
The terminal emulator in pyILPER is a very specific HP-71 terminal emulator. There is no relationship to any "standard terminal emulation" like VT-100 since these emulations do not allow to edit HP-71 Basic programs properly (e.g. editing wrapped lines).

There is no concept behind the usage of the escape sequences. I think they were used consecutively in the implementation process of the pyILPER terminal. The function keys F7-F12 are not mapped to any escape sequence at all.
08-15-2018, 06:26 AM
I published the second beta pyILPER 1.7.2 on GitHub.This version got two minor improvements:
  • User defined keyboard shortcuts for the teminal. The ALT-A to ALT-Z key combinations with the exception of ALT-I and ALT-L (reserved for other purposes) can be used as user defined shortcuts. These shortcuts can be specified in the filemenu. See the manual for details This feature was inspired by the discussion above.
  • Tagging scope log files. This allows to enter a synchronous tag to the scope log file to match high-level actions with low level HP-IL messaging. The button opens a prompt window to enter the tag text. The tag text is inserted with a time stamp while pressing the OK button of the prompt window. The feature was propsed by Sylvain Cote.

The first post was updated accordingly.
08-15-2018, 04:47 PM
(08-15-2018 06:26 AM)jsi Wrote:  I published the second beta pyILPER 1.7.2 on GitHub.This version got two minor improvements:
  • User defined keyboard shortcuts for the teminal. The ALT-A to ALT-Z key combinations with the exception of ALT-I and ALT-L (reserved for other purposes) can be used as user defined shortcuts. These shortcuts can be specified in the filemenu. See the manual for details This feature was inspired by the discussion above.
  • Tagging scope log files. This allows to enter a synchronous tag to the scope log file to match high-level actions with low level HP-IL messaging. The button opens a prompt window to enter the tag text. The tag text is inserted with a time stamp while pressing the OK button of the prompt window. The feature was propsed by Sylvain Cote.

The first post was updated accordingly.

Thank you Joachim, these are both great enhancements. Though I swore many years ago to never chase HP-IL packets on a scope ever again, it does help from time to time to do so, and this note-tagging feature will be a real help.

The user-defined shortcuts is an excellent solution to what I was seeking to use my custom key assignments, it is quite intuitive and easy to configure. Using the Alt- prefix was a nice touch as it is a logical equivalent to just replace [f] [T] with Alt-T.

One tiny request is to add a 4th insert mode, which would be:

Input + 2* Cursor Left + 'Cursor Insert mode' (which is ESC-Q).

This allows a shortcut of ":PORT(◄)" with the cursor between the parenthesis in insert mode, so one may then type arguments that are larger than 1 character, without over-writing the close parenthesis.

When using FRAM or other large RAM modules, the :PORT argument is often 5.03 or 2.01, etc. so 1 space is not sufficient.

This is also useful for assignments such as [f][E] = 'PEEK$("",◄)' as the arguments here are always multiple characters, and it saves having to toggle insert mode every time it's used.

I must admit this is possibly a unique and selfish request to go beyond what is already a lovely and useful surprise new feature, however it can't hurt to ask...

Otherwise, so far, I've had no issues at all using the 1.7.2 beta releases.

--Bob Prosperi
08-15-2018, 06:03 PM
(08-15-2018 04:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Though I swore many years ago to never chase HP-IL packets on a scope ever again, it does help from time to time to do so, and this note-tagging feature will be a real help.
We have to thank Sylvain Cote for the specification of this feature.
(08-15-2018 04:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  One tiny request is to add a 4th insert mode, which would be:
Input + 2* Cursor Left + 'Cursor Insert mode' (which is ESC-Q).
Already committed on Github. You may check out the development version (see the last chapter of the installation instructions).
08-16-2018, 12:32 AM
(08-15-2018 06:03 PM)jsi Wrote:  We have to thank Sylvain Cote for the specification of this feature.

Indeed, thanks for the excellent suggestion Sylvain! A very simple and elegant suggestion that will make tracing IL packets/data easier. This basically accomplishes automatically what I (and I'd guess many other folks) do, by manually inserting comments on the copy/pasted listings of packets. Very nice.

(08-15-2018 06:03 PM)jsi Wrote:  [additional 4th insert mode is] Already committed on Github. You may check out the development version (see the last chapter of the installation instructions).

This works perfectly, and it was an amazingly short turnaround time to build it. I looked at the diffs in git and am impressed at how easily this was added; a testament to well-written code.

Also, I now understand the difference between the pyilper-master.zip file and the pyilper-v-x.y.z.zip files prepared for controlled releases.

Thanks very much Joachim!

--Bob Prosperi
08-16-2018, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 11:21 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Thank you Joachim for updating an already great program and thank you Robert for doing a great testing job.
Sorry for not being very helpful, I am currently swamped and I have no free time to do any testing right now.
I hope to have some free time next weekend to test the new tagged log file, a great feature for me because it will allow me to put some context on action generating HP-IL frames.
Best Regards,
Sylvain

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)