Hypothesis: Custom Rom on Dm42
03-31-2018, 12:07 AM
Hypothesis: Custom Rom on Dm42
I am pretty positive that the current problem about the license of the Free42 code and the DM42 will be cleared. And I am also positive that SM will release the sources of the bootloader and OS. So someone - with a lot of time and skill - could build different custom ROMs (with the benefit of the community and of SM, as SM will still sell the hw).

How likely would it be to have the 34S project adapted to the dm42 hardware? Is that the so called 43S ?
Would the 34S function set be that different from the Free42 functions set? (I am not that knowledgeable about the differences)

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2018, 09:15 AM
RE: Hypothesis: Custom Rom on Dm42
I'm not involved in any way with the WP43S but yes, it seems to be happening and it will run on SwissMicros DM42-like hardware (with a different keyboard layout, of course).

I expect its functionality to be a superset of the HP42S in most ways. The WP34S is an extraordinary machine - its support for statistical distributions is particularly noteworthy - but its hardware prevents a full implementation of complex numbers and matrices as objects, although it can work with both. The SwissMicros hardware should remove this restriction.

Here's a link to the WP43S discussion in the SwissMicros forums.

Here's a link to the Sourceforge page for the project.

Nigel (UK)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)