HP 82324 Measurement Coprocessor Board - Help needed
02-21-2018, 07:50 PM
HP 82324 Measurement Coprocessor Board - Help needed
The HP 82324 (version A and B) is a 16-bit ISA board for PCs and typically was used in HP Vectras ( 386, 486). It is a complete HP 68030 / 68882 computer system with an HP-IB port that can run HP BASIC 6 without any modification and is technically almost identical to a HP 9000 332 computer. ( At that time HP BASIC for Windows wasn't available yet; you had to use this hardware solution in a PC in order to run your HP BASIC programs. )
You can find information on that device at the other HPMuseum's site.
These boards are very rare and expensive nowadays, and unfortunately mine has a transport damage at the ISA bus connector, see pictures below.
The problem is that I can't find a source for that MALE AT-bus edge connector that is mounted (soldered) onto the board. Female connectors are easily available. Normally the connector of an ISA card is part of the PCB.
Maybe anyone has got an idea where to find a replacement part, or even a tip how to repair the damaged connector?
It would be such a pity to have to discard this rare HP-9000-300-computer-on-a-card, just because of this damned transport damage.

defective 82324A

Detail
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2018, 09:08 PM
RE: HP 82324 Measurement Coprocessor Board - Help needed
Michael,

What does the other side of the board look like? I am curious about how the pins on the connector are connected to the board, if it is done the way I think it is I may have a solution for you.

Paul.
02-21-2018, 11:27 PM
Hi Paul,
on the back side of the board, adjacent to the edge connector, there are two rows of soldering points ( 2 x 18 for the short connector, 2 x 31 for the long one ).
Do you need a photo?
02-22-2018, 12:38 AM
(02-21-2018 07:50 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Maybe anyone has got an idea where to find a replacement part, or even a tip how to repair the damaged connector?

Maybe something like this.

https://www.in2connect.uk.com/product/ma...onnectors/
02-22-2018, 02:23 AM
(02-21-2018 11:27 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  Hi Paul,
on the back side of the board, adjacent to the edge connector, there are two rows of soldering points ( 2 x 18 for the short connector, 2 x 31 for the long one ).
Do you need a photo?

Are these rows on 0.1 inch centers? And since it would seem likely that the contacts pins are bent 90 degrees to go through the board that would mean the the component side connectors would go to the top row on the card. I have AT type prototype cards that have the edge connectors pins connected to the bottom two rows of pads on 0.1 inch centers with the component side pins connected to the top row and the wiring side connected to the bottom row. The edge connectors and these two rows of pads could be cut off the prototype card and then used to replace the connectors by removing the damaged connector and and connecting the replacement with short wires through the holes.
02-22-2018, 06:22 PM
@ Dave:
Thank you for the link!
But I'm afraid these male connectors don't have the right shape; there has to be an angle of 90 degrees between the retaining screws and the edge connector itself. The edge connector has to lie in the plane of the board, not upright.

@ Paul:
Below you find two additional photos.
Yes, the spacing between the solder points is 0.1 inch.
I am not quite sure if I understood your idea correctly, due to my limited English and my poor (read: zero) knowledge of electronics. At the moment the board is in the hands of Dominique Berget who is an expert and surely can estimate the chances for a repair with your replacement part. I will send him the link to this thread.
Thanks a lot for your offer!

82324 - wiring side

82324 - front view
02-22-2018, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 06:33 PM by Paul Berger (Canada).)
Michael,

That is what I expected so what I proposed should work. Dominique and I exchanged a couple emails this morning and I filled him in on where I got the prototype cards.
02-22-2018, 09:00 PM
Thank you Paul.
Meanwhile I know from Dominique that you are in direct contact.
02-22-2018, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 10:15 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(02-22-2018 06:22 PM)Michael Fehlhammer Wrote:  @ Dave:
Thank you for the link!
But I'm afraid these male connectors don't have the right shape; there has to be an angle of 90 degrees between the retaining screws and the edge connector itself. The edge connector has to lie in the plane of the board, not upright.

Consequently I pointed to a connector series with right-angle mounting options.

https://www.in2connect.uk.com/wp-content...enters.pdf

Dave
02-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Hi Dave,
meanwhile I forwarded the link to Dominique and he had a closer look at the pdf file. He says that this connector would need to be modified and a robust mounting would be difficult to realise. the price also might be high.
But he is optimistic that he can manage the repair proposed by Paul, and he found and ordered an AT prototype board as a donor for the replacement part.

Thanks for your help, I will keep you updated about the repair progress!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)