82240B printhead fried itself in a puff of smoke
03-09-2018, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 11:59 AM by Martin Hepperle.)
RE: 82240B printhead fried itself in a puff of smoke
Hi,
you guys might want to have a look at
https://octopart.com/mtp201g-166-e-seiko-5834632
There seem to be a few available but priced at about $30+.

Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2020, 01:52 PM
(03-08-2018 06:02 AM)tcab Wrote:  Impressive schematics on that site - thanks.
Unfortunately my order for the new MTP201G-166-E printhead just got refunded by an Australian electronics supplier. They said:

Quote:This part we unfortunately cannot import as Seiko now has restricted availability and our suppliers can’t sell to our region.

We have had to cancel and refund your order today, again our apologies for this inconvenience caused.

Hmm. Perhaps this is a sign that I should check the signals and voltages first before attempting to order this again from somewhere else! :-) I wonder if this part is restricted worldwide or just in Australia - I suspect its worldwide. Not sure how to get hold of this part now...

Did you ever get this resolved?
I just had the exact same thing happen.

I have two replacement print heads on order but I also suspect the problem was caused by some other component. The print head itself does not seem to have any intelligence to it. The printer controller chip or the CPU could be at fault. I sure don't want to burn a brand new print head...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2020, 03:16 PM
Would this part be also a replacement for a HP-97 printer head? Maybe it is time to stock up a few spares...

11C 12C 15C 17BII 18C 19BII 21 25 27S 28S 32E 32S 32SII 33C 33S 34S 35S 38C 39gs 39GII 40gs 41C 41CV 41CX 42S 45 48G+ 48GII 49G 49G+ 50 67 71B 97
03-07-2020, 05:05 PM
(03-02-2020 03:16 PM)Moggul Wrote:  Would this part be also a replacement for a HP-97 printer head? Maybe it is time to stock up a few spares...

I'm sorry I can't help with that. I don't own an HP-97 and have never seen the inside of one.
03-07-2020, 05:07 PM
I successfully replaced the print head mechanism and it is printing and advancing the paper just fine. I am still not convinced that I have solved the underlying problem...
03-07-2020, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 07:29 PM by BobVA.)
Nice! Do post and let us know how it works over a few days.

Just guessing, but perhaps a mechanical failure that kept the print head from moving horizontally was the underlying fault? If it was stuck on one spot I'm pretty sure it would burn the paper, and if the motor was jammed that might drag the supply voltage down enough to cause the logic / drive circuits to go haywire shortly there after?

Thanks for validating this is the correct part!
03-07-2020, 07:45 PM
(03-07-2020 07:27 PM)BobVA Wrote:  Thanks for validating this is the correct part!

That is the good news...

The bad news is, according to Mouser:
"End of Life: Scheduled for obsolescence and will be discontinued by the manufacturer."

Better get some while you can. I ordered a couple of spares.
03-17-2020, 11:07 AM
So I finally found some stock and ordered a replacement printhead! Not sure if I have the skills to replace it - will figure it out - looks like I just unscrew the old printhead unit and switch in the new one - the only connection seems to be the 9 pin ribbon cable.

If anybody has done this before I'd appreciate any tips!

[Image: MTP201-24B.jpg]
03-17-2020, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2020 01:23 PM by twoweims.)
(03-17-2020 11:07 AM)tcab Wrote:  So I finally found some stock and ordered a replacement printhead! Not sure if I have the skills to replace it - will figure it out - looks like I just unscrew the old printhead unit and switch in the new one - the only connection seems to be the 9 pin ribbon cable.

If anybody has done this before I'd appreciate any tips!

[Image: MTP201-24B.jpg]

There are five wires soldered to the small circuit board (on the left hand side in your picture).
They lead to a connector in the center of the main circuit board. These will have to be moved to the new print head. One is red and four are black. I moved them one at a time so I would not get the black ones mixed up.
These control the motor for the paper advance and the print head position.

[attachment=8174]
03-18-2020, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2020 01:45 PM by tcab.)
Thanks - very useful information!

Very unusual connection technique on those wired - each wires with slight cuts in the plastic sheath and inserted physically into a slot. Not soldered at all - not sure how to reproduce the cuts in the plastic sheath of the wire. Probably will simply strip the wire bare and insert it in!
03-18-2020, 11:58 AM
I have not yet examined a 82240 in detail, but this could be an 'insulation displacement' type of connector - IE the wire is not at all stripped - simply forced into the connector and the force combined with the sharp edge of the connector slices the insulation and contacts the conductor underneath. This is the 'technology' that many ribbon cables employ.

TomC
(03-18-2020 10:40 AM)tcab Wrote:  Thanks ? very useful information.

Very unusual connection technique on those wired - each wires with slight cuts in the plastic sheath and inserted physically into a slot. Not soldered at all - not sure how to reproduce the cuts in the plastic sheath of the wire. Probably will simply strip the wire bare and insert it in!
03-18-2020, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2020 01:42 PM by twoweims.)
(03-18-2020 10:40 AM)tcab Wrote:  Thanks ? very useful information.

I wasn't very clear. The connector that I have circled just unplugs from the main board.
There is no need to re-terminate the wires on that end. You need to reconnect them to the new print head. You will understand when you get it apart. I should have taken more pictures during the process.

This is where the wires need to be soldered to the new print head:

[attachment=8175]
03-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Ps. My post
Quote: Thanks ? very useful information.
didn’t mean to have a question mark character - I originally posted a unicode thumbs up character but this forum software obviously didn’t like that. So I’ve edited it to be
Quote: Thanks - very useful information!

Truly appreciate the tips!

Will let everyone know how I go once I receive the part.
03-18-2020, 03:01 PM
I would be very interested to know if there is an improvement in print quality. Might well be worth the adventure of replacing the part!

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
03-18-2020, 07:04 PM
(03-18-2020 03:01 PM)mfleming Wrote:  I would be very interested to know if there is an improvement in print quality. Might well be worth the adventure of replacing the part!

Just so I'm clear...

You are considering taking apart your working printer, which makes not-so-great quality output on thermal paper which fades within a few months, to replace the print-head, to make hopefully somewhat-better quality output on thermal paper which fades within a few months?

For not much more than this part costs, you can get used, but fully working 82240B printers, on eBay, etc. Of course doing so means you may end up with two working printers, which make not-so-great quality output on thermal paper which fades within a few months, but at least you'd have other spare parts for future repairs.

I just thought it's worth pointing out the options... Wink

--Bob Prosperi
03-18-2020, 07:35 PM
(03-18-2020 03:01 PM)mfleming Wrote:  I would be very interested to know if there is an improvement in print quality. Might well be worth the adventure of replacing the part!

Mine was printing with good quality before the fire. After the replacement it is still good. It did improve the consistency of the paper advancement quite a bit so i think the feed roller mechanism was wearing out on the old one.

The repair won't be much of an adventure. It is very straightforward.

But as Bob mentioned in his response, It may be easier to just get another one on eBay, then you have a spare...

For me it is sometimes easier to get "the accounting department" to let me buy repair parts than it is to buy "more junk" on eBay... Wink
03-18-2020, 10:13 PM
(03-18-2020 07:35 PM)twoweims Wrote:  

Mine was printing with good quality before the fire. After the replacement it is still good. It did improve the consistency of the paper advancement quite a bit so i think the feed roller mechanism was wearing out on the old one.

The repair won't be much of an adventure. It is very straightforward.

But as Bob mentioned in his response, It may be easier to just get another one on eBay, then you have a spare...

For me it is sometimes easier to get "the accounting department" to let me buy repair parts than it is to buy "more junk" on eBay... Wink

Aha, well, there's your fatal mistake. Never involve accounting until you get a really good deal, then it's OK to share your shopping prowess.

More seriously, I just bought an 82240B, working fine, good output, for $42 including shipping. I didn't really need another one, but I could not let it pass. And yes, I did share this deal with accounting, though they did not have the same level of appreciation as I did; something about "more junk from eBay..." Smile

--Bob Prosperi
03-19-2020, 01:13 AM
(03-18-2020 07:04 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  

Just so I'm clear...

You are considering taking apart your working printer, which makes not-so-great quality output on thermal paper which fades within a few months, to replace the print-head, to make hopefully somewhat-better quality output on thermal paper which fades within a few months?

For not much more than this part costs, you can get used, but fully working 82240B printers, on eBay, etc. Of course doing so means you may end up with two working printers, which make not-so-great quality output on thermal paper which fades within a few months, but at least you'd have other spare parts for future repairs.

I just thought it's worth pointing out the options... Wink

Yeah, just call it the rationalization for buying something I don't need Smile My first thought was to buy the printer mechanism as a spare because it was EOL and would quickly be impossible to find. But as you say, I could always buy a spare printer on eBay. OTOH the spare would be more expensive and possibly as worn as the potential printer for repair, so why not get it? But then I figured I'd probably wear out before my printer does...

So, I had pretty much talked myself out of buying the replacement mechanism until I thought, "Hey Yeah, maybe it'll print so much better..."

Expensive hobby, but you know that Wink

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
03-23-2020, 11:52 PM
New printhead part received, surgery performed.
Success - it prints once more!
  • Performed the printer's self-test - "with the printer off, hold down the line-feed button, turn the printer on, and then release line-feed". OK
  • Printed from my DM42 to the printer via infra-red. OK.
The only remaining question I have before I screw it all back together is this small sheet of plastic I found inside the case. It was likely in there before but I don't know where to put it. It has a distinct square edge which suggests it sits somewhere and is held in place - is it meant to protect some component inside?

[Image: HP%20thermal%20printer%20plastic%20sheet...jpeg?raw=1]
03-24-2020, 12:21 AM
Is it the same width as the print head ribbon cable?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)