installing the HP Prime on Android
02-15-2018, 12:56 PM
installing the HP Prime on Android
Apart from an unusual little hiccup with the payment mechanism ( a Google Play scratchcard: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-101...l#pid90926) this went well.

Google Play did point out that "this app may not be optimised for your device" but 5 minutes didn't reveal any problems...When you see that message, is there anything in particular you should look for?

The only problem I see is a common one on Android: There is no option to install the app to SD card. I was hoping that had been fixed (or perhaps it is just not available on my device...Could that explain the "not ... optimised" message?).

I know many apps cannot be installed to SD card and one can argue it is working as intended, but having just had to pay for a new calculator on a new device because my 8 /64GB Android said it only had 400MB free when the SD card is practically empty... It feels more like a bug.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2018, 01:15 PM
RE: installing the HP Prime on Android
Have you tried the option to force the apps to be installed in the SD card in the settings -> developer options menu?

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
Find all posts by this user
02-15-2018, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 08:54 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
I don't see any Settings/Developer options menu...
Android 6.0 for HP Prime 13333 (tablet)
Android 5.0.2 for HP Prime 13333...??? (Mobile)
Android 4.4.4 for HP Prime 8151

Oh. My Android 5.0.2 seems to have updated itself to 13333 without any warning (I thought it was recommended that you backup files). If I had expected that to work, I wouldn't have spent money on one for the Android 6.0 tablet... But since my Android 5.0.2 regularly tells me it can't update maps and other apps, I hadn't intended to risk an update on that device.

02-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Development options must be enabled on your Android device, not the prime app.
Settings About the Phone, Tap several times on the build number when it was often enough those ( Huawei, Samsung: 7 times, I think) options are available from the Settings menu.
But I doubt that this will help, perhaps you should delete some unwanted stuff from your phone, 400 MB seems very low.
Arno
02-15-2018, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 06:10 PM by pier4r.)
(02-15-2018 12:56 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Google Play did point out that "this app may not be optimised for your device" but 5 minutes didn't reveal any problems...When you see that message, is there anything in particular you should look for?

The only problem I see is a common one on Android: There is no option to install the app to SD card. I was hoping that had been fixed (or perhaps it is just not available on my device...Could that explain the "not ... optimised" message?).

I know many apps cannot be installed to SD card and one can argue it is working as intended, but having just had to pay for a new calculator on a new device because my 8 /64GB Android said it only had 400MB free when the SD card is practically empty... It feels more like a bug.

Wouldn't be bad to read about android in general, it helps. Before calling everything a bug at least.

The developer of an android app should program the app to be able to be installed on the SD card (unless you root your device). Therefore if an app does not implement the feature, it is going to use the internal storage.
Many apps are implemented in this way for various reasons, one is avoiding additional support problems caused by the SD cards (that may be slow) and users that do not understand this and keep complaining.
This is a known limit, since android 4 up to android 7 (with certain versions).

For example try to move chrome on the sd card. And google invests surely more money in chrome than HP in the HP prime.

The part "it may be not optimized for your device" is that an app can report to be optimized for certain screen resolution/sizes/android models (eg: only tablets). If it works, it works, if it doesn't you are out of luck.

Also, if you have 8gb internal, of which 400 mb free. Likely (a) most of the heavy app are installed internally and (b) a lot of data (pictures) are stored internally as well. The data can be surely moved on the sd card at least, to make some space. I also from time to time delete apps (or their cache) that I don't use often or at all.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
02-15-2018, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2018 08:51 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
Apart from preinstalled apps, there is Schpock (a shopping app), Facebook's Messenger, and best of all the HP Prime. Whenever I look at data usage, the Apps don't seem to use much - so I don't know what is using that 8GB, unless it is millions of 2kb cookies...and 100 photos and pdf's, because the camera and Chrome store photos, videos and files to internal storage too on Android 5.0.2.

02-15-2018, 09:01 PM
I think that's it, photos and pdfs. I don't remember correctly but I think with Android 5 it is possible to force the Gallery app to store pics on SD, perhaps you should get an app like total commander and move pics and pdfs to the card.
Arno
02-16-2018, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 10:08 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
By the way, if you encounter "PDF Reader not found. Please install and try again." when trying to access the swipe-right help - Searching online it seems Android 6 has some issue handling pdfs. It works fine in Android 5.

02-16-2018, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 02:02 PM by goetz.)
On Android 7.* and 8.* I also had the PDF reader not found issue. It seems that the HP Prime app is requiring specific PDF readers. The built-in PDF reader in the Google Drive app was not recognized, even though it can open and read PDFs fine and it can open PDFs as standard PDF viewer, e.g. from a file explorer app or e-mail app. I installed the standalone Google-PDF-Reader by Google (small app with only 15MByte) and now the help files can be opened from the HP Prime app via the user manual menu entries.

Hope this helps. Smile
02-16-2018, 05:25 PM
The way this works is the code asks the system "i have the intent to open a file of type pdf. do you have the ability to open that type of file?"

The system has a database of applications registered to open that filetype. If it has one, then it responds "yes" and you then tell the system to open it. Basically, I have no control if whatever PDF application installed by the user hasn't registered itself properly to handle that type of file.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-16-2018, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 08:39 PM by TheKaneB.)
Yep, the Google Drive app basically only works by itself. It's poorly integrated with third party apps.
As Tim said, in Android there is a mechanism called "Intent" by which one app states the "Intent to open a certain type of content" and the OS does the rest. If the PDF reader advertises itself as being capable of opening that content type (through specific Intent filters in the application manifest), then it will work.

Software Failure: Guru Meditation

--
Antonio
IU2KIY

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)