Manual for Evolution Navigator
02-14-2018, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 02:52 PM by twdeckard.)
Manual for Evolution Navigator
I purchased a pocket computer dedicated to
Aviation navigation called the Evolution Pocket Navigator

Because it can print to an 82240B it earns a spot in the collection

anyone ever heard of it. I am looking for a manual?

it’s pretty straightforward to reverse engineer the menus but a manual would be awesome.

Todd
PS really an interesting device ...

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2018, 05:07 PM
RE: Manual for Evolution Navigator
Hello!

(02-14-2018 02:20 AM)twdeckard Wrote:  anyone ever heard of it.

No! And I thought I know about every aviation/navigation calculator (and have most of them in my collection). But this one is completely new to me. The only thing Google finds, you probably have seen this too, is an advert in Flying Magazine from 1992:
https://books.google.de/books?id=2dy-fCM...or&f=false

250$ in 1992 for aviation calculator is quite a premium price. The products of the competition at that time (e.g. ASA Pathfinder, Jeppesen Avstar) cost only about half as much. Additionally, navigation software for PDAs and Psion Organisers and similar devices were already on the market then for very little money. Therefore I guess they have sold very few of these Evolution Navigators and they must be extemely rare. Congratulations!
02-15-2018, 12:03 AM
It’s a pretty impressive device. It will propose a point-to point flight plan between fixes
and it appears to maintain a ded recon position in flight. It last updated its database from a pc/floppy in 1993.

The interface is quite elegant and I can almost work most functions wo documentation.

Todd
04-22-2022, 02:08 PM
(02-14-2018 02:20 AM)twdeckard Wrote:  I purchased a pocket computer dedicated to
Aviation navigation called the Evolution Pocket Navigator

Because it can print to an 82240B it earns a spot in the collection

anyone ever heard of it. I am looking for a manual?

it’s pretty straightforward to reverse engineer the menus but a manual would be awesome.

Todd
PS really an interesting device ...

I was on the design team for this device. I may have a manual laying around somewhere. I will look for it.
04-23-2022, 12:53 AM
That would be fantastic. Your navigator is a very elegant piece of kit. I wrote a series of routines for my HP41 that advanced your ded recon position every five minutes and could be refined with various cross fixes. The navigator setup to advance thru a series of flight plan legs is somewhat similar. The fact that it has a fairly strong database of airports and fixes was also impressive.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)