HP 49G Advantages over 49g+ & 50g
01-24-2018, 09:04 PM
RE: HP 49G Advantages over 49g+ & 50g
As (I believe) the original disparager, I wanted to thank Gerald for starting this thread; as usual it has brought out some interesting and useful facts.

In my humble opinion, these are indeed advantages:

Hard Cover Provided (though I dislike them...)

Low-power consumption - if indeed a 49G has longer effective battery life than a 50g under same load (anyone tested this?)

Alarms always work.

5V Serial Port (closer to real RS-232 - at least it won't get damaged).

I forgot that the 49G had twice as much ERAM (255 vs. 127); helpful for storing lots of stuff. There were some issues with storing very large objects (it was comprised of 2 x 127KB modules, seemingly bank-switched as no object could cross the boundary) so they may have dropped it to 127 in later machines to avoid these issues and confusion.

Interestingly, on my 49G (CN148... w/same ROM version as Jose's) after reset, my memory values are slightly different:

Port 0: IRAM 241KB
Port 1: ERAM 255KB
Port 2: FLASH 1085KB (Filer shows 980KB + 49g demo library installed (108133 Bytes, so 980+105 => 1085) )
Home 241KB (default CAS variables after reset present)

So my view of the 49G has been improved!

That said, I think my original statement is fundamentally correct: "The 49g is infamous for being about the worst high-end machine HP ever made".

If you disagree, which other high-end machine was worse?

I guess what I had in mind for the meaning of "worst" was how it met the user communities expectations upon announcement and shortly afterwards.

And of course, we are looking at these machines through the thickest filter of all: time. The 28C was incredibly advanced when it came out; now it seems childish and crude...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 49G Advantages over 49g+ & 50g - rprosperi - 01-24-2018 09:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)