[Survey] HP users around the world
02-03-2018, 01:56 AM
RE: [Survey] HP users around the world
(02-02-2018 08:41 PM)badaze Wrote:  @salvomic

Quebecois is the French spoken in Canada’s Quebec province by nearly 8 million people. There are other forms of French in Canada in New Brunswick. Because of the British victory in 1763, for nearly 2 centuries Quebecois evolved differently and independantly from the France French. As a result the spoken language is quite different from standard French. Different words, common words with different meanings, different anglicism. On some aspects, it looks like old French.
But written Quebecois is French.
If you ever have the chance, you should converse with a Cajun in Louisiana. Cajuns (Acadians) were from New France relocated to Louisiana, a French colony. The State is divided into French parishes, not English counties and until recently had a legal system based on the Napoleonic Code. Not from there myself, but I spent some time there. BTW, only Yankees say N'awlins. More like Nah-AwwwLenz. Had a French manager who immediately corrected my pronunciation Smile

(02-02-2018 08:58 PM)salvomic Wrote:  Mark Twain said that an American and an Englishman speak the same language but they don't understand reciprocally. I would hope a Canadian and a Frenchman would like at least try to understand reciprocally...

"The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language." -- attributed to George Bernard Shaw

"Americans and British are one people separated only by a common language." -- attributed to Winston Churchill

Neither of these quotes can be verified, but they are often repeated as such because they are so truthful Smile

I think we're in spat mode again. Perhaps they'll stop by and burn down our capital again? Couldn't hurt...
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Alan Striegel - striegel - 01-28-2018, 02:11 PM
RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - mfleming - 02-03-2018 01:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)