WP-34S keyboard overlays wearing out?
03-28-2014, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2014 03:05 PM by jebem.)
WP-34S keyboard overlays wearing out?
Hi all WP-34S fans!

After looking out for a low cost RPN calculator from HP, like the 42S, and failing on that, I decided to re-purpose an HP-30B with the alleged excellent WP-34S project.

I know that I'm arriving late, but I still believe in the merits of such a machine.
I must say that I start using RPN calculators since the 70's (at school), but I like all kind of new technological environments, so I have got an HP-Prime as well... we need to keep our minds as open as possible.

To prepare the new calculator, I have ordered:
- One used HP-30B calculator from eBay (Italy, TheKingOfCalculators);
- Two sets of Keyboard Overlays from Eric ( http://commerce.hpcalc.org/overlay.php );
- One 32.768 KHz Quartz Crystal 20ppm DT-26 with two Ceramic Capacitors 12pF from eBay UK;

To make the serial cable (USB version for Windows PC, with internal 3.3Volt regulator to act as power supply to the calculator during the flash ROM programming), I've ordered:
- One USB to RS232 TTL serial cable adapter Model PC-PL2303HX Chipset from eBAy China;
- One DC/DC 4.5V-7V to 3.3V AMS1117-3.3V Power Supply Module from eBay China;
- 18 Crown Spring Loaded Pogo Pin JTAG from eBAy Canada;
- One small plastic box, two Push buttons (Reset and Erase), three LED's (Power, Reset and Erase) and a couple of 1Kohm resistors from a local shop.

Now I have to wait until all components are delivered, specially the China ones that can take more than 30 days to reach South Europe.

My question is:
As the KB Overlay stickers are printed on vinyl, what are your experience so far using the calculator? Does it stay over the keys after a few months of use? Does it wears out?

Thank You all for reading this!
Any feedback is very appreciated.

Cheers,
Jose

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
WP-34S keyboard overlays wearing out? - jebem - 03-28-2014 03:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)