Summation based benchmark for calculators
12-24-2017, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2017 10:41 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Summation based test for calculators
added and fixed some entries thanks to the results of grsbanks! (in some cases timings were confirmed, but information was added)

Interesting observations from him

Quote:I can confirm that the DM41 is much slower than the DM15/DM11 (I used my DM11L this time around). The DM41 really is a slow machine. Plenty of features, sure, but dog slow. In fact it's the slowest of them all and really not something you want to use for intensive number crunching.

Regarding the Prime, I'm guessing that it generates a list under the hood and then runs 'ΣLIST()' on it (when using the built in sum function rather than a hp ppl program, note by Pier). Now, the Prime cannot manage lists longer than 10000 elements and if you try and use the summation function on a series with more than 10000 terms then it hangs and you need to press the Reset button on the back.

Given the results so far I would say.

- Impressive the 991ex, pretty quick for its price. In general the flagship casio products are all quite competitive.
- the prime is on par with the nspire when using the internal sum function but the limit of 10000 entries sounds bad (although few would use more than 10000 entries).
- the prime hp ppl is impressive. 10 times faster than any other calculator reported. (I guess lua with the nspire would reach a similar speed, but it is unusable from the calculator)
- the hp 50g summation is more advanced than a userRPL for loop. Well done. Plus it still holds its ground after years. For example in comparison versus the new primz.
- newRPL pushes the 50g greatly, well done.
- the dm42 is fricking fast. Especially compared to other swissmicro products.
- the first nspire (from 2006) is still competitive. Therefore the main systems did not change much in the nspire.
- I learned that the ti 89 has quintillions of apps (really, quintillions), but in terms of speed the real competitor was the 48 series. The 50g has almost the double of the speed.
- hp 35s . Suprisingly slow! I was expecting the speed of the 15 LE.

Still missing:
- a 41 version
- 41 CL
- 12C (recent)
- 15C
- 71B
- 34S
- Casio classpad (if possible 300 . We got the 400)
- Some sharpr PC
- other interesting calculators (the casio fx5008p for example)

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Summation based test for calculators - pier4r - 12-24-2017 10:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)