Is the Prime suitable, for me
03-25-2014, 12:56 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me
Hello.

Hope all are well.

Here's the opinion of a guy that started out with an HP-15C, then to an HP 48-GX, next was a HP 50g, and finally, the HP Prime. That means I have more than twenty-five-years using HP calculators.

I hate the HP Prime. Hate it, hate it, HATE IT. It programs in sort of a C-based language. It operates in two entry-modes RPN and Textbook. It does not do much in RPN mode, even tihough all of its fancy or not-so-fancy capabilities like factorial are easily(comparitively-so) in its CAS(basically textbook though this stands for Computer Algebra System), but horrible under RPN mode.

RPN can only readily be used for number crunching and using commands that appear on the calculator keys and face, like x^2, Log, Tan, and so forth.

I agree with you, RPN is just plain BETTER. HP's Prime, to me, is like this, "You read a book you believe to be awesome. Hollywood then likes this book enough to make it into a movie. You go to the movie and soon discover it is complete and utter GARBAGE!"

The HP50g is now CHEAPER because the HP Prime is now on sale.

I love my HP 50g. If you have used a HP 48GX, then the 50g is like a 48 GX on steroids with, WITH a gargantuan grey-matter grower and a genetic enhancement that makes the processes eight-times faster. Yes, the 50g is that good, and it have a clear piece of plastic over the display(I broke my 48GX display and it was 3/4 cost of a new one and HP sent me the wrong calculator in the box, even though the contents were saying it was the right calculator. Translation, some scum at HP switched them...he killed Kenny(reference from TV show, "South Park"). Sorry for rambling.

To prove to yourself which is better, you will need a computer. Download the programs that simulate each of the calculators and use them as long as you wish.
If you have a wonder phone(I don't, to distracting and expensive) there should be programs to emulate the two calculators that you can put on the phone you take with you everywhere. The programs are FREE, at least the emulators from hpcalc.org and a few other sites. Then, use as long as you want, even 100-years.

If you find you like one enough to buy, then get it after thorough testing.

Oh, one good thing about the emulators for both calculators, they run at a processor-speed that is the same as your computer, which as a general rule is faster than an HP Calculator, even fast than the 400 MHz processor that is in the HP Prime.

Hope you got this before buying a calculator.

Enjoy the day,
1HPGuy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Is the Prime suitable, for me - Mike Gale - 03-24-2014, 07:01 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - jebem - 03-24-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - jebem - 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - 1HPGuy - 03-25-2014 12:56 PM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - jebem - 03-29-2014, 09:55 AM
RE: Is the Prime suitable, for me - jebem - 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)