Scientific calculators that have formula/equation memory
12-06-2017, 03:50 PM
RE: Scientific calculators that have formula/equation memory
(12-06-2017 01:16 PM)pier4r Wrote:  "Virtually all the scientific/financial calculator manufacturers have created pocket models able to do formula entry". Can you list a couple that are still produced?

Hi, Pier4r,

For example, a current pocket size calculator from Texas that sports continuous memory and a solver among other nice goodies:
Texas Instruments TI-36X PRO
This one is probably the best bet and "benefit to price" ratio among the equivalent competition offering, according to the people actually using it and posting here in this forum.

Many Casio machines were known for their formula entry environment (with continuous memory), like the fx-5000F (from 1987) among many others.
They are out of production, of course, as any other calculator made in 2002 or 2010 or even 2015 for that matter.
There are notable exceptions, like the HP-35S that seems to be on sell today (Dez-2017). This makes the HP 35S 10 years old on the market now. For such a alleged flawed calculator, this should be a success study case!

But then Casio has got newer models like the fx-991 X Classwiz series that, despite limited to what the built-in algorithms can offer, also have continuous memory and a solver.

Casio also offers the current top of the line, scientific, non-graphic, programmable fx-5800P pocket calculator. Not only it is programmable as it offers a solver and formulas as well.

And of course we should not forget the current SHARP pocket offerings.
They look a bit physically fragile to me when compared to the Casio or Texas, but it is just an impression, as I do not use calculators to do my work anymore (school days are gone long time ago and I use computers at work).
I have this nice looking and feature rich Sharp EL-W506X, currently in production, that should fulfill your specifications as well.

I didn't check the physical sizes to fit your requirements, although they are smaller than the full sized graphic models (or, as an old time member of this museum used to call them: the battleship calculators).

Now, a word of warning:
Continuous memory on all these machines, 35S included, are not really continuous as it depends on good battery energy to maintain the memory contents integrity.
Adding this to lack of input/output interface and we end up with seriously limited machines.
Even a reset to restore a machine crash will result in total memory loss.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scientific calculators that have formula/equation memory - jebem - 12-06-2017 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)