on the RPN mentioning sharp pc-1211, v.albillo, el-506w and recurring topics
12-03-2017, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 08:19 PM by Trond.)
RE: on the RPN mentioning sharp pc-1211, v.albillo, el-506w and recurring topics
(12-03-2017 07:58 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 07:43 PM)Trond Wrote:  (7+12)x(5+23)
(3+18)x(4+12)

As I wrote. If I cannot see the formula I am typing, I don't find the RPN bad. (and even if I can type, you are right, fractional formulas are not that easy too type too)

Anyway I would first do the numerator, then ANS / (denominator) .
In algebraic.

In RPN would be quite similar.
7 12 + 5 23 + *
3 18 + 4 12 + *
/

My point is though, aside from some edge cases, it is easier to follow the written form. In RPN I have to rework it in my mind.
First I extrapolate what I need first, then I proceed with the rest. This is surely a pedagogical advantage, but after a while it is just overhead for my point of view.
Why is it overhead? Because I do not write the formula in RPN. I am not geared towards it when I manipulate the formula on paper. You yourself wrote in algebric form to communicate with me and the rest of the forum, not in RPN directly.

So we seem to be contradicting each other here. I said that you CAN see the formula as you type it in 35S and you seem to say that you cannot. So by "seeing" you mean seeing it exactly like I typed it above? Sure, that is always a neat option, but somehow I don't find it faster or more convenient (it wasn't when I typed it here, I had to think about how to represent the division with underlining text. Ha ha Smile. But yes, that's how I would write it if I did it with a pen). Maybe it's just the way my head works, since I learned RPN at an early age, but to me RPN goes faster when pressing buttons, no matter if I see it or not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: on the RPN mentioning sharp pc-1211, v.albillo, el-506w and recurring topics - Trond - 12-03-2017 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)