HP calcs are really not that accurate..
12-02-2017, 04:05 PM
RE: HP calcs are really not that accurate..
(12-02-2017 03:47 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Whether option 2 is right is a matter of taste. I find that it if you're actually making an effort yourself, it works perfectly fine to simply be honest: "I'm trying to figure out how to do XYZ. The best I've been able to come up with is <insert description of algorithm here>."

Not everyone has a taste for unpleasantness, and people who are genuinely willing to share their knowledge don't need to be prodded into action with provocatively-phrased statements, and might even by turned off by them -- "I'd be happy to help, but this person is being an ass, so f--- them."

Oh, I agree with you, and I'm not advocating using style 2; I guess I was not clear, I'm just commenting on what I've observed over the years.

In fact I've found that the very people whose replies and opinions I seek most, generally will not reply to such taunts, except occasionally to correct another reply.

I think your final phrase captures it well!

There is no doubt that making a sincere effort first, followed by an honest and direct request for help is the way to go here. It always results in lots of replies, and even if the ultimate question isn't answered (sometimes there is no answer) one always learns something new in the process (as do most of the readers).

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP calcs are really not that accurate.. - rprosperi - 12-02-2017 04:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)