using factorial in probability question
10-02-2017, 08:49 AM
RE: using factorial in probability question
(10-02-2017 05:48 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  ... That's not a bug; it's behaving precisely according to design.

Dear Joe, I really appreciate your knowledge, and please, I don't want my post to sound like an attack to you.

Every reputable software gives a message to user about overflow, be it an audio processing software which informs you about 0dB clipping, or a photo/video processing software which informs you about highlight clipping.

HP Prime calculator, in this case calculator for students, doesn't give you just message. Even basic calculator gives you at least something like "E" on display. Students have many important things to learn and I think deep knowledge of calculator internal processing doesn't fit into it.

It's clear that something like 7777^7777 gives you overflow, but something similar can happen in the middle of expression. If you have some complex expression which gives you for example number four as result, you cannot know if there was overflow somewhere, because hp prime doesn't tell you.

So, "it's behaving precisely according to design" as you wrote, but I think it is bad design, especially if hp prime is targeted to students.

----
My knowledge of english is quite limited, but I hope there isn't much lost in translation. :-)

Prime, 15C CE
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: using factorial in probability question - chromos - 10-02-2017 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)