How and why do you use your HP calc?
09-14-2017, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2017 04:11 AM by Neve.)
How and why do you use your HP calc?
I was wondering what is your reason for using a HP calculator.
I have no particular reason for asking this besides my own curiosity.
For example, are you using an HP calc because you're a science student, an engineering student, a science teacher or professor, a research scientist a hobbyist who likes programming, etc... And which calc are you using.

My personal reasons are quite simple. I am an IT engineer (used to be a software engineer a long time ago).
I like my HP41 because when I was growing up in the late 70's and 80's it was the best next thing to own but I (or rather my parents) couldn't afford it. It was something I always wanted to have but couldn't get. My first real computer was an Atari computer and later a Dragon 32, which were gifts. Not very portable...
So when I could get one, even though more advanced and powerful calculators and computers were available, I still had to get one. I had no real-life or actual practical use for it though. I just wanted to fulfill that dream, owning an HP41!
I still don't have an actual real-life use for it (or for any real physical calculator for that matter), but I like challenging myself to program it and play with it. Although I find it more challenging to find something to program!
I do the same sometimes with my 50g, but it's, even though way more powerful in every way, definitely not as fun. So it doesn't get used very often.
I consider myself to be just a small hobbyist still trying to learn all I can about that awesome piece of computers history.

I hope that makes sense.

So if you don't mind sharing your thoughts and reasons, please feel free to do so.

Thank you for your time.

Engineer & Senior IT Executive
2x HP41CL, HP41CX, HP48GX, HP50g, 2x82162A Printer, 2x82143A Printer, 2x HP-IL, 2x Card-Readers, PIL-BOX.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How and why do you use your HP calc? - Neve - 09-14-2017 03:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)