Advice on old-timer collection
08-25-2017, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2017 07:46 AM by Frans.)
Advice on old-timer collection
Hello,

This post does not immediately offer anything for sale, rather I'm looking for advice on how to go about such a task, should I decide to part with my collection.

I'm a Dutch HP-41 old-timer who was active in the 1980's and early 90's. Was a member of PPC (10993), CHHU, HPCC (583) and HPX (73) and wrote articles for their journals, as well as for Dutch ones. For hobby activities, after that period my focus shifted to other areas, and for work I didn't really need my CX anymore. My daily calculator is a HP-16C, which I purchased from Wlodek Mier-J. at a HPCC conference, by the way. Smile

During all those years I collected a fairly large amount of equipment, accessories, manuals, brochures, ROM listings, books and magazines, and now I'm contemplating passing on most or all of them. It's still not an easy decision, as this stuff meant the world to me -- but that was so long ago that I've forgotten so much of it...

I'm not looking to make a fortune from selling it all, although I see some rather high prices requested in eBay offerings ($400+ for a PPC ROM? Wow). Rather I am wondering how to find a good home for as much of my collection as feasible.

I suppose making one eBay entry for the whole collection is not very effective, as prospective collectors will not want to accumulate a pile of duplicate stuff in order to acquire the few items they may really be interested in. On the other hand, I'd rather not have to create dozens of eBay entries to offer every (set of) item(s) separately. Also, it appears many of the English-language magazines are already available as online PDFs or on a DVD.

The Dutch second-hand and collectors market for this kind of stuff is very small, so I'm looking for European and even worldwide options. How have other old-timers handled this kind of situation?

To get an idea of my possible offerings, I've compiled a detailed inventory of my collection (attached). Would anyone have some advice how to deal with this?

(Cross-posted on forum.hp41. org)

Attached File(s)
.pdf  HP_Inventory.pdf (Size: 57.94 KB / Downloads: 121)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Advice on old-timer collection - Frans - 08-25-2017 08:45 PM
RE: Advice on old-timer collection - Frans - 09-28-2017, 02:28 PM
RE: Advice on old-timer collection - Frans - 10-01-2017, 05:58 PM
RE: Advice on old-timer collection - HP67 - 10-02-2017, 06:21 PM
RE: Advice on old-timer collection - Frans - 10-02-2017, 08:48 PM
RE: Advice on old-timer collection - HP67 - 10-03-2017, 07:52 AM
RE: Advice on old-timer collection - Frans - 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)