HP Prime firmware update failed – another victim -- SOLVED
08-25-2017, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2017 08:20 PM by Hans S..)
HP Prime firmware update failed – another victim -- SOLVED
Hi everybody,

I am Hans from southern Germany, this is my first post in this absorbing forum, and, unfortunately, might also be the last (say hello AND/OR goodbye).

In the first place, I have to offer an excuse for my English – I learned it mostly from my brother in law who was born and raised in North Carolina (solely to move to Virginia in his later years).

But here is my issue:

Some time ago I learned about the intriguing history and invention of HP. Then I found this forum, and finally I bought a 35 S, a 50 g and a Prime (don't ask me why. Let's say curiosity; and as we know, curiosity killed the cat. Maybe it was the RPN thing).

Anything worked pleasantly until I tried to update Prime's firmware. Meanwhile I found out that I am not the only casualty on this field of unhonour. I am now aware of all the tips and tricks and do's and don't's, and, in my humble opinion, I tried them all, with no result.

What happens exactly?

Current software version is 2015 6 17 (8151), Hardware Version: C, OS: V0.041.558.
Two computers, Win 10/64. Newest software for virtual Prime and connectivity kit. On one computer freshly installed from the HP pages, on the other everything wiped out and re-installed. Used different USB-connections and –cables on different ports and hubs (USB 2 and 3).

EVERY combination shows the same picture: Starting the connectivity kit - anything is ok.
Connecting the Prime to the computer - anything is ok: USB works, connectivity kit recognises Prime, shows Prime and its contents on the left, etc.

Opening the small "updating firmware" window, saying "Update firmware: 20170710", anything is still ok, Prime is still connected. Pushing the backup button: same.

Now the problems shows:
1. Pushing the update button.
2. Windows asks if I wish to use the "updater utility". Of course I will.
Here things got messed up.
3. Prime says "HP Prime recovery mode V16", connectivity kit looses the connection (no more Prime on the left side of the kit's window, and the updater utility says "waiting for connection" (of course, the connection just has disconnected). From now on, everything is dead as a doornail.

USB connection still seems to be ok, no yellow triangle in the device manager.

So, what else could I do? This is really enervating.

At this point I would like to provide you with some more information on my psyche. I always have problems with things that won't work as they are supposed to do. Maybe this is still the child's dream of a perfect world, but I can't it stand hardly anyway and I am trying to find solutions. If I am not able to find a satisfying solution, I would rather get rid of things than bear their presence (with people, I am more uncomplaining, knowing that I'll not be able to change them).
This said, the Prime in it's current condition is not a device I would like to see ore use every day. Even worse, this could spoil the other HP stuff for me. Unfortunately, in my early RPN eagerness, I bought books on LISP and Forth by the pile. And now? Preparing an auto-da-fé?

Thank you very much for your patience,

Hans
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP Prime firmware update failed – another victim -- SOLVED - Hans S. - 08-25-2017 11:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)