Programming puzzles: processing lists!
06-14-2017, 03:27 PM
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists!
(06-14-2017 08:57 AM)pier4r Wrote:  @DavidM: another request if I may ask.
request: does your library complement goferlist or not? (I would say: until you find faster and/more flexibile code, yes) Because otherwise diff/intersect may be useful.
edit: check goferlist from time to time, I have to say that the documentation of the single commands is, well, too "twitter like". Sometimes really cryptic. Whatever the product, a proper documentation is part of its value.

I think of this "working project" as a collaborative effort, and I'm happy to consider all suggestions for additional functions/commands. It continues to be a good exercise for me to consider the application of list processing in solving problems as opposed to my more "iterative" inclinations.

I've been somewhat concerned that showing my earlier timing comparisons with GoferList functions would be perceived as my wanting to replace it (or even "compete" with it). That definitely wasn't/isn't my intent. It seemed like a good benchmark for comparison with similar functions that I'd already created, so I thought it would make sense to show the data that way.

GoferList appears to have been originally created with the idea that it would replicate known list functions from the Haskell language, so I'm guessing that the original developers were less concerned about documenting the commands and only felt the need to provide the minimum needed to use the commands in an RPL context. They probably figured that it's main appeal would be to people who already knew what the functions did, or would seek the meaning in other ways.

I definitely see my library as a complement to GoferList, even though there is a small amount of overlap. If I'm to implement more functions, I'd prefer to focus on those things that aren't already available in GoferList (or trivial to implement). As an example, many of the GoferList commands are designed to apply a user-defined function to a process. I have no desire to replicate that sort of functionality, as I don't think I could really add anything useful to those commands. Gilles' suggestion of a DOPERM command would represent new functionality that definitely would add value (and isn't trivial), so it's high on my list to investigate. So that's more the type of thing that interests me at present.

I'll add your recent suggestions to my list of things to ponder, as I can see where those functions would be useful in a variety of contexts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists! - DavidM - 06-14-2017 03:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)