Programming puzzles: processing lists!
06-13-2017, 06:23 PM
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists!
(06-13-2017 10:06 AM)pier4r Wrote:  ...Anyway, all in all, the for + get is quite feasible as subsitute for nested iterations of dolist/dosubs

After spending more time than I care to admit trying alternative methods for LROT, I've come to the conclusion that any method that involves breaking the list apart into its constituent elements will eventually lead to a heart-stopping garbage collection if the function is called repeatedly in succession with a large-ish list as its argument. I was able to get it to the point where they were a bit less often, but it only delayed the inevitable.

So I've decided to try going the route I originally wanted to go in the first place, but thought might not be worth the hassle: I'll recreate the list by copying the two blocks of memory containing the reversed parts into a new list object directly. It will require a bit more setup (and a lot more code), but it should be a relatively fast option that is nicer to the overall memory footprint of the machine. It will be a good exercise that may have other benefits as well for the other functions I'm contemplating.

Regarding the GET performance, it occurs to me that I should probably temper my criticism of its performance. GET is better than PUT, owing to the fact that it's relatively quick to skip a series of objects when you don't actually have to explode them. But I still maintain that if you know you need to manipulate more than a couple of items in a list (or array, though they are a bit more efficient), it's better to break them apart and then reassemble them later than to loop a bunch of GET/PUT pairs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming puzzles: processing lists! - DavidM - 06-13-2017 06:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)