Poll: Should I bother with this HP 34C?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape
04-18-2017, 06:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2017 06:13 AM by Adam Vaughn.)
RE: Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape
(04-17-2017 08:45 AM)pier4r Wrote:  What a pity. How can one save everything so well and then leave the battery inside. I could understand if it was thrown in a closet without order and then forgotten.

Moreover something that was not exactly cheap. $129 in 1981 are $360 now. So for you paid one sixth of the original price more or less.
Yeah, it's a shame. I'm guessing someone used it a few times, put it back in its box, and forgot about it for 30+ years. The booth I found it at generally has a large number of pop culture items, along with some vintage electronics, usually fairly overpriced. Said booth does still have an HP-25, which I believe is priced at $62. It has the case and battery pack (which has not leaked nearly as badly), but none of the other accessories, and the model label on the front has taken some wear. I probably would've picked it up if I didn't already have an HP-25.

And yeah, I know I did pretty well price-wise, historically speaking. I'm not exactly sure why the original purchaser went with the HP-34C when they could've bought an HP-11C for not much more, with similar specs. Maybe they bought the 34C, then when the HP-15C came out a year later, the owner decided to upgrade one of those, and unceremoniously shoved the HP-34C in a desk drawer or something.

Getting back to the battery issue, does anyone have any ideas about what would be the best way to remove the old battery pack without doing much damage? Also, is there a good way to neutralize this crystallized crud? I've been doing my best not to touch it, but every time I handle the calculator, I make sure to wash my hands soon afterwards..........
-Adam
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape - Adam Vaughn - 04-18-2017 06:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)