A replacement for the HP-41 zebra connector
04-05-2017, 10:59 PM
RE: A replacement for the HP-41 zebra connector
(04-05-2017 07:22 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 06:57 PM)anetzer Wrote:  BTW: Did anybody ever have the same problem on an HP-71 or are those machines immune to zebra strip problems? If so, the HP-41 posts seem to be a deep-rooted menace indeed...

Yes. I've had several 71's with signs of battery corrosion and they all had corroded zebra connectors. Note that the zebra connector for the 71 is about 3/8 inch tall.

By any chance is the 72 connector geometry similar enough to the 41 to use a flex circuit solution? (chin rub)

anetzer Wrote:Weird thing nobody took up on this so far. It seems a great idea.

Only: How would anyone get a chance to test several samples and try out what dimension and material mix works?

I did look at the suggested Z-axis material a few days ago. A search turned up three U.S. companies offering a similar material, all three of them saying "Contact for Quote." In my experience, a company specifying that condition for trade is similar to a restaurant with a menu that has no prices.

I did find two material items from one of those companies (only one item in stock) at Mouser. It was a sheet 18" x 18" x 0.62" (457mm x 457mm x 1.6mm) for $375, quantity one. I lost interest at that point, given that is nearly thrice my own total R&D investment so far Smile

I'll wait for the OP to follow up on their own search & test results!

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A replacement for the HP-41 zebra connector - mfleming - 04-05-2017 10:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)