A replacement for the HP-41 zebra connector
04-05-2017, 06:43 PM
RE: A replacement for the HP-41 zebra connector
(03-28-2017 07:43 PM)anetzer Wrote:  So...

Silicone tubing seems to be what most think to be a good choice.

... text removed ...

Question to those who tried: What size would you go for in terms of total, compacted silicone thickness? Is 2 mm enough or should one look to 4, 5mm even?

Thanks!

I've run through some tests with the solid core O-ring material from McMasters, and one size works well. The cord diameter is listed as 3/32" (2.4mm) but in reality measures 0.103" (2.6mm). While the cord works well it is still a bit too thick. I can close the case but there is a small hairline gap at the joint (see Sylvain's pictures). The solid core cord really doesn't compress to any real degree, so there is likely to be a trade-off between fit and functionality.

A hollow core cord or thick tubing might be a viable alternative. Something slightly large (2.6mm - 2.9mm) with an inner diameter >= 1mm might do the trick. Keep in mind the grey hollow core cord was 1/8" (3.2mm) and slightly too big for many.

Lastly, here's a flex that was in one calculator about three weeks. the dimpling is pretty noticeable, but the flex seems to stretch and mold itself to solder blob protrusions. While I was preparing this design, I feared I might have to cut away some of the flex material but that no longer seems the case.

~ Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A replacement for the HP-41 zebra connector - mfleming - 04-05-2017 06:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)