Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
03-18-2018, 12:14 PM
RE: Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
(03-17-2018 02:37 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  So, store the string "funca" in variable funcb and then define a function funca(x) that returns 2*x^2.

Code:
funca(10)  --  gives you 200.

#funcb(20)  --  gives you 800
Sounds quite similar to the function slots on the Casios so far, though I'd like to know if the TIs' # operator is as crippled as the Casios' functions, i.e. can it be used to call full-blown programs with loops and all the fancy things, or does it only permit a single value-returning command?

(03-17-2018 08:00 PM)John Keith Wrote:  Well, except for the Prime... Sad
Granted, it doesn't directly allow native code to be run inside the OS as it currently is, but you can replace the firmware with no fuss at all. As far as I know, the current options beside the official firmware versions have not gone beyond proof-of-concept stage (i.e. they say something like "Hello World" and stop), but there's nothing like TI's RSA signatures blocking Claudio from making the Prime a NewRPL target. Okay, I've not seen a lot of hardware documentation, but at least HP isn't actively trying to stop us.

(03-17-2018 08:55 PM)pier4r Wrote:  although C.basic is quite some work to fix the shortcomings of the official basic system. I do not know if there exist any other "community programming languages" that are well done.
I can't comment much on C.Basic, but the dev's English leaves quite a bit to be desired. Several of his posts left me with question marks hovering above my head.
Other languages on Casio calcs include Lua (via LuaFX for 9860, or LuAFX for, well, the AFX), which I've not used because it was published after my AFX broke, and the good old MLC (an ambitious project to invent a game-focused programming language that runs on several different calculators, even across brands). I had a lot of fun with MLC back when my AFX worked, but I wouldn't recommend using it now - it's dead. The programs I wrote about 8-10 years ago were probably among the last MLC programs to ever be written. At that point, the main hub for MLC activity had already been down for years (according to the Wayback Machine, it gradually went down in 2006; hosting expired in October of that year), rendering much of the relevant content unavailable. Regarding actually supported calculators, the only complete interpreters I've seen were for Casio AFX and TI86 (the latter with additional commands but sadly also some incompatible changes). A Casio 9860 version exists, but it's unfinished and abandoned, just like most of the other interpreters. To get the topic back to HP: a version for the 48 or 49 (don't remember which) was also started, but as far as I know it was abandoned even before the first alpha release, presumably due to lack of interest - unlike TI and Casio calculators, there wasn't much room for improvement over RPL.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime) - 3298 - 03-18-2018 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)