Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
03-16-2018, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 07:51 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
Little note about a quality of the RPL language that I am seeing mostly now. Now I can compare with calculators that should be able to compete with the 48/49g/50g series.

I started to consider again the ti89 some months ago and then I added to my arsenal a ti nspire clickpad (2006-2007) a casio 9860g and a 9860GII.

The difference between RPL and the TI-basic / Casio Basic is huge. While ti-basic and casio basic surely can do a lot, the RPL has a lot of flexibility, as passing entire program objects as arguments to the next program. As far as I know with casio/ti basic that is impossible or not immediate to achieve.

Of course then the casio-s have the official C SDK while the TI have community based programming languages (or lua on the nspire, super clumsy to use), but in my case I am comparing the designed programming language for the average calculator user.

The ti89, the 9860g series and the nspire can do a lot of things that the 50g does as well, and maybe something better, but in terms of user programming - in my opinion - the RPL (and its library of commands) may be not faster, but much more expressive.

The RPL is really impressive. Another gem that was not ported by HP on common computers (although we have now rpl/2 and likely newRPL).

Question to the RPN masters. Can one pass functions to a RPN program? For example a label that then is used by the program to recall another program. In other words the main program doesn't know a priori which other program to call, this will be defined by the value of an argument.

Question to the 71B masters. Can basic on the 71B - another environment that I recently discovered and I got impressed by it - receive a program (or a reference to a program) as an argument?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime) - pier4r - 03-16-2018 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)