Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
11-07-2017, 09:26 PM
RE: Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
(11-07-2017 07:33 PM)pier4r Wrote:  The other day I finally copied all the backups (150, one for each day) on the pc. With cygwin I can see, with the command file, that the files are HP 49 files, but they are not made by plain text as I would have expected.

You've probably already realized that →STR will help you out with this conversion. Note that it's not a 100% safe conversion, though. →STR will convert objects into strings which are similar to the object's representation when recalled to the stack, which doesn't necessarily contain an exact copy of the underlying data.

(11-07-2017 07:33 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Is there a preferred convert tool that converts hp49 directories in their text equivalent on the pc?

Some objects stored on your calculator may not have an exact "text equivalent". In those cases, you may find that →STR creates placeholders for the parts it can't directly convert.

(11-07-2017 07:33 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Otherwise I will check what I can do with the 50g, to store something that is "text editor friendly".

Back in this thread, we discussed another issue that you might run into with this. In particular, the names of objects on the calculator may not be compatible with the SD card's file system, so you might run into trouble saving the files. I also recall finding that I would run into sporadic "invalid DOS name" errors when attempting to copy objects to the SD card, even when there was no compatibility issue with the name in question. But that may have been isolated to some sort of file system corruption on the SD card (see the thread I referenced). I never was able to find a sequence of steps that would recreate those errors, though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime) - DavidM - 11-07-2017 09:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)