Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
09-09-2017, 09:21 PM
RE: Little explorations with the HP calculators
New little problem. I could not translate it in a list problem or a string processing problem therefore I post it in this thread that is more of a "catch all!" of my posts.

[Image: Imo5HyRl.jpg]

So there is a park with paths that can be seen as two squares, one in another. The internal square is constructed linking the middle points of the sides of the bigger square.

Alan and Bob start running in the same point (one middle point of the bigger square), only Alan keeps running on the bigger square and Bob on the internal one. Both have the same pace.

Question:

(a) assuming that they have unlimited capacity and they keep running forever, would they meet again in a place while running?

(b) (the question that I wanted to convert in list/string processing . Inspired by the recent posts of Gerald H about sequences) .
Assuming that the bigger square has vertex A, B, C, D and middle points E, F, G, H. IAlan and Bob start Both in the point E.

Alan goes through E, A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D, A, ...
Bob goes through E, F, G, H, E, F, G, H

Every time that Bob reaches a vertex of the square EFGH, is Alan ahead, considering only the current lap of Alan having checkpoints E,F,G or H?

For example, from the start:
entry, Alan, Bob :
0, E, E - same
1, behind, F
2, behind , G
3, behind, H
4, behind, E
5, ahead, F (Alan is near to reach E, while Bob is only at F)
6, behind, G
7, behind, H
8, behind, E
9, ahead, F (Alan is past G)
10, ahead, G (alan is past H)
etc...

Therefore what we want is: given the value N (N > 0), determine if for the entry "N" Alan is ahead of Bob according to the description given above.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Little explorations with the HP calculators - pier4r - 09-09-2017 09:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)