Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
04-01-2017, 02:27 PM
RE: Little explorations with the HP calculators
(03-31-2017 09:51 PM)pier4r Wrote:  yes. I thought my overview was clear, damn me and my language skills.

There's nothing wrong with your language skills. I was simply questioning my comprehension skills. Smile

(03-31-2017 09:51 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
Quote:If there's a functional relationship between columns 1 and 3 in the table...
Nice idea, but there is none. ... Actually I think that if I get a uniform random value from 1 to X, and then I have custom probabilities modeled on the same range, I should be able to "cast" the uniform probability in the probability that I want.

I was thinking that you might be able to model the relationship between columns 1 and 3 fairly closely with polynomials across a couple of ranges of input. Doing so would come close to (but not match exactly) the table lookup, which may or may not be acceptable in your situation. If it is, I would guess it to still be a faster method than sequential lookups.

(03-31-2017 09:51 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
Quote:Alternatively, you could map the target value to an index, then grab the column 3 value with that index.
I'm not sure I am following here. I do have already the index that is the row number.

Similar to the first option mentioned above, I was envisioning creating a function of some kind that would take the target value given and result in a integer in the range 1-33 representing the index of the column-3 value that it maps to. This would then require the additional step of GETting the final value from the array. I wasn't sure if it would be simpler/faster/more accurate to model the input->index relationship vs. the input->final result one.

I'm not trying to suggest that these are the best options, of course. I don't know the tolerances you're working with here and my ignorance of the constraints simply makes it easier for me to come up with suggestions. Smile

This is an interesting application! I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Little explorations with the HP calculators - DavidM - 04-01-2017 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)